Is Doug Pederson a top five coach?

Glen

Turned a garbage disaster Chip Kelly team around in 2 seasons and got a sophomore QB to play like an MVP with half decent weapons.

Realistically I'd say the top five are BB, Zim Zam, Carrol, Hue, and Tomlin.. But what about you?

I mean he just beat Bill Bellicheck in a superbowl and won it with a backup QB. I'd say he's earned a top 5 spot but I'd be hesitant to give him the "Without a doubt top 5 HC" thing until he has back to back good seasons, totally possible the eagles struggle next year if Wentz isn't healthy and Foles falls back to earth unlikely but possible.

27 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I don't like to proclaim someone a top head coach after just two seasons but this season was probably the most impressive coaching performance I've seen from a coach. Winning a Super Bowl with a backup QB is virtually unheard of in the modern NFL.

It helps when that backup was playing like an MVP for most of the postseason.  Pederson deserves a lot of credit for that though.

It's a good question, and it definitely deserves merit. He coached a hell of a Super Bowl, that's for sure, and I'd rather have him than Jay Gruden. I could probably name 5 others I'd rather have right now if I thought about it, but he wouldn't be far off if so.

Bill's the default #1 but who would you take over Doug after Bill? The most frustrating thing about watching the Pats is seeing opposing coaches freeze if they have a lead in the 4th quarter. All common sense tends to go out the window. Doug's been one of the only guys who's kept his cool against him.

So yeah, easily top 5.

Archived