Is Doug Pederson a top five coach?

Glen

15 minutes ago, Danger said:

I will tell you 10/10 He's better than Reid.

Dan Quinn, I can't really see the argument for, he's only coached one more season and choked away in the Super Bowl epically.

McCarthy IMO is a product of Aaron Rodgers.

Tomlin I give the nod to over Pederson for sure.

Pederson has such a great bond with his whole team, a level of trust that is built and a gutsiness to believe in his team. When Nick or Carson really wanted to go with a certain play, he'd let them do it. Otherwise Doug ended up calling a great game on his own after the first quarter or so of this season he really started to shine.

The only reason I haven't given him a top-5 designation is because it's only been one year. If this was extrapolated, I'd probably put him at #3.

11 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I don't like to proclaim someone a top head coach after just two seasons but this season was probably the most impressive coaching performance I've seen from a coach. Winning a Super Bowl with a backup QB is virtually unheard of in the modern NFL.

It's always a prisoner of the moment type thing. 100% this was being said about Jim and John during their sb run.. Now Jim is looked at as a terrible coach. 

Just now, El ramster said:

It's always a prisoner of the moment type thing. 100% this was being said about Jim and John during their sb run.. Now Jim is looked at as a terrible coach. 

The thing about John at least is that he's a special teams guy, and his QB is absolutely pathetic on a huge deal.

Jim is good at turning around teams, but he'll eventually lose them and has yet to prove he can finish the job in the big games. If Pederson retired tomorrow, I'd certainly still consider both Harbaughs. to come in and take over.

We will certainly see as time goes on, but the reason I'm so keen on Pederson is because 1. He seems to get the most out of all of his players. 2. He adapts. He changes his system where needed based on who's doing what, and he learns from his mistakes very well. He's aggressive, but he's not stupid aggressive. 

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

The thing about John at least is that he's a special teams guy, and his QB is absolutely pathetic on a huge deal.

Jim is good at turning around teams, but he'll eventually lose them and has yet to prove he can finish the job in the big games. If Pederson retired tomorrow, I'd certainly still consider both Harbaughs. to come in and take over.

We will certainly see as time goes on, but the reason I'm so keen on Pederson is because 1. He seems to get the most out of all of his players. 2. He adapts. He changes his system where needed based on who's doing what, and he learns from his mistakes very well. He's aggressive, but he's not stupid aggressive. 

Right but even you guys last year and even this year had your doubts about Pederson. I remember @RandyMossIsBoss being extremely critical of him for not adapting.

Again we're all prisoners of the moment. What he did was great. But Jim Schartz was also phenomenal. So it's all a combined effort.

Hell Meek Mills might even deserves some love.. And don't sleep of what Jim did.. Beat Brady and Manning at their houses with a old roster with a terrible QB.

But he Doug managed a beautiful game and all eagle fans shouldn't even care if he's ranked 32. Y'all on cloud 9. 

Just now, Danger said:

That's entirely fair. I think DeFillippo Is interviewing for a OC job in Minnesota now?

Yea, I want to see what happens if he loses Schwartz and DeFilippo. He can spare DeFilippo (although, I think incredibly highly of him), but we'll see who the replacement for Schwartz is. I feel confident that Schwartz will get a second chance somewhere at some point.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Yea, I want to see what happens if he loses Schwartz and DeFilippo. He can spare DeFilippo (although, I think incredibly highly of him), but we'll see who the replacement for Schwartz is. I feel confident that Schwartz will get a second chance somewhere at some point.

I do too, I think it's warranted. I mean hell he took the Lions to 11-5 and the Playoffs. So long as he has an offensive guru on the other side of the ball, I'm okay with him being a HC somewhere.

Mike Tomlin has been coaching and losing to the Patriots for over a decade. Doug Marrone & the Jags couldn't figure out that you don't get conservative with a lead even after watching ATL blow a lead. Pederson figured out (in 2 years) that you have to be aggressive for 4 quarters and understands situations like going for it on 4th down with smart play calls, not pitching the ball back 4 yards and hoping your RB (Bell) can gain 5 vs one of the toughest Ds in the game..

Pederson/Wentz is going to be the next great HC/QB combo. 

I really, really wanted to come in here to say we need to see more of him before vaulting him that high - but the 3 HCs after Belichick that I really like are him, Zimmer, and McVay. I'd take those 3 over any of the other, more mainstream answers with longer resumes (Tomlin, McCarthy, Reid).

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I do consider Jim an elite coach, though.

He's not and he knows he's not.

Neither is his brother who routinely allows his OC to call a low % 15-20 yard deep out on 3rd and short with Joe Flacco as QB. It usually is an uncatchable pass. He also loses games by not taking the points in FG range, instead going for it and then needing those 3 points to win the game. Does it almost every year. This year he got away with it.

Just now, lod01 said:

He's not and he knows he's not.

Neither is his brother who routinely allows his OC to call a low % 15-20 yard deep out on 3rd and short with Joe Flacco as QB. It usually is an uncatchable pass. He also loses games by not taking the points in FG range, instead going for it and then needing those 3 points to win the game. Does it almost every year. This year he got away with it.

I think the 49ers success under him and their lack of afterwards kinda proves it. If he wanted an NFL job, every team who was looking for a new HC would be lined up at his door.

Archived