We Should Trade Preston Smith This Offseason

MKnight82

Smith is a solid pass rusher but not elite.  I think he's playing out of position for us as a 3-4 OLB, and would fit better as a DE in a 4-3 scheme.  He's entering the last year of his rookie contract.  He's had 8 sacks twice, but they seem to come in bunches and then he disappears for weeks at a time.  I also don't think he makes much of an impact defending the run (at least not as much as he should).  Are we willing to give a guy like this a contract extension?  I wouldn't.  The time to move on is now, while he has value.  We should be able to get a reasonable return for him.  We can draft his replacement in the first or second round this year.  

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Smith is a solid pass rusher but not elite.  I think he's playing out of position for us as a 3-4 OLB, and would fit better as a DE in a 4-3 scheme.  He's entering the last year of his rookie contract.  He's had 8 sacks twice, but they seem to come in bunches and then he disappears for weeks at a time.  I also don't think he makes much of an impact defending the run (at least not as much as he should).  Are we willing to give a guy like this a contract extension?  I wouldn't.  The time to move on is now, while he has value.  We should be able to get a reasonable return for him.  We can draft his replacement in the first or second round this year.  

I would trade him but idk for what tho. Maybe a team like the browns come and trade a pick for Smith . SM on that front office now and could vouch for him . 

Why?

If you get Galette back for 2-3 years and Murphy, you are praying for no injuries or decline from them in addition to a true anomaly at the OLB position (Anderson)

Preston Smith is best as a 43 RE, but he has shown ability this season (more than the others) of being effective in zone coverage. They've also shown more flexibility moving players around this past season and changing up alignments. I remarked at some point mid-season a particular play that there was some development in his game and that things had started to slow down for him at the NFL level.

You're not going to get fair value for Preston Smith right now. Hope for a breakout year and perhaps then franchise+trade.

Colt McCoy may have value, Swearinger, and maybe Cravens after a good preseason. Not much trade value left. 

NOT going to happen. You don’t go into an offseason creating more holes. Everyone knows we could do better than Smith - but we’d have to get lucky. They’re going to keep developing Smith and if Allen is healthy this year and with Smith playing next to him, I think Smith will get double digit sacks. 

I don’t think either of our starting OLBs are going anywhere. Yeah, they could be better, but they haven’t been the problem on our defense since they got here.

This isn’t even on the team’s radar. They’re going to be trying to improve at ILB, DL/NT,  LG, RB, WR and possibly draft or sign a corner.

What kind of compensation do you think he'd get us? Maybe a 4th round pick? I don't know if that's enough compensation to make it worth it. Preston Smith's biggest issue has been work ethic and maturity, in my opinion. He also seems to have some stupid penalties at terrible moments of the game. All of these issues are mental, not physical. Instead of maybe getting a 4th round pick for him, I'd rather see how he shows up this season and see if he finally sees the light. We lack playmakers on our defensive side of the ball and he's shown the ability to change games (Vikings game in 2016, Denver game 2017 come to mind). 

9 hours ago, footy_29 said:

Colt McCoy may have value, Swearinger, and maybe Cravens after a good preseason. Not much trade value left. 

Hate to say this but....Trent Williams has trade value. Tough from an emotional standpoint to trade him but it almost makes sense. Theres a chance the top OT in the draft could be there at 13 or we could hold off a year and start Ty Nsekhe in 2018. At some point, we need to start think about life after Trent. Even with his contract and past injury history, he is arguably the BEST LT in the league. I'm sure some team (Seattle?) would be happy to trade for the top LT in the league. Just something to think about...

Ok, I found cover. You can start throwing the tomatoes now.

47 minutes ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

What kind of compensation do you think he'd get us? Maybe a 4th round pick? I don't know if that's enough compensation to make it worth it. Preston Smith's biggest issue has been work ethic and maturity, in my opinion. He also seems to have some stupid penalties at terrible moments of the game. All of these issues are mental, not physical. Instead of maybe getting a 4th round pick for him, I'd rather see how he shows up this season and see if he finally sees the light. We lack playmakers on our defensive side of the ball and he's shown the ability to change games (Vikings game in 2016, Denver game 2017 come to mind). 

Are you willing to give him an expensive contract extension next year?

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Are you willing to give him an expensive contract extension next year?

Probably not with Crowder and Schref coming up soon. No, I get your reasoning behind it. I do. I just think he's a key piece I'd like to have in 2018. You're thinking long term and that's always a good idea but I honestly think that if things fall into place next season with injuries and some luck, we have a chance to make a playoff run. Who knows though? If we're going to trade away players, I'd rather just do a complete blow up. With the Alex Smith trade, its clear that we're not in rebuilding mode just yet. 

1 hour ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

Hate to say this but....Trent Williams has trade value. Tough from an emotional standpoint to trade him but it almost makes sense. Theres a chance the top OT in the draft could be there at 13 or we could hold off a year and start Ty Nsekhe in 2018. At some point, we need to start think about life after Trent. Even with his contract and past injury history, he is arguably the BEST LT in the league. I'm sure some team (Seattle?) would be happy to trade for the top LT in the league. Just something to think about...

Ok, I found cover. You can start throwing the tomatoes now.

You're right.
I'm assuming they keep Trent though - with a strong finish to his career, he is a hall of fame player. 

25 minutes ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

Probably not with Crowder and Schref coming up soon. No, I get your reasoning behind it. I do. I just think he's a key piece I'd like to have in 2018. You're thinking long term and that's always a good idea but I honestly think that if things fall into place next season with injuries and some luck, we have a chance to make a playoff run. Who knows though? If we're going to trade away players, I'd rather just do a complete blow up. With the Alex Smith trade, its clear that we're not in rebuilding mode just yet. 

I don’t think we’re Super Bowl bound in 2018.  Planning for the future is the better move imo.

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don’t think we’re Super Bowl bound in 2018.  Planning for the future is the better move imo.

You can disagree where the team is at, but clearly the FO thinks they are competitive in the next 2-3 years. 

Smith > Kerrigan in terms of current value to this team and future value. Kerrigan is a coach dream, so you won't see him being moved on. If we're talking strategy and maximizing return then it should be Kerrigan dealt if we're talking about 2018.

If Smith has 17 sacks next season with Allen/Logan/Ioannidis, I think the approach completely changes to a tag and trade. 

Archived