We Should Trade Preston Smith This Offseason

MKnight82

10 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Kerrigan is a better pass rusher and all around player than Smith.  Granted I’ll give you he’s more expensive.  

Kerrigan plays almost every play on the left side going against right tackles and most aren’t as good of pass blockers as LTs.

I love Kerrigan - I have his authentic jersey - but it’s been plain as day that this matters and has mattered in the evaluation of Kerrigan as a pass rusher since 2011.

Smith is more athletic than Kerrigan but neither have good bend or smooth inside moves or spin move like Junior Galette has.

I’ll agree Smith is just good, not great, and he’ll probably never be great just like Ryan never will be. What we have is two good but not great OLBs. This is the same thing we had from 2010-2014.

The way I see things is that we need to keep what we currently have. Kerrigan will likely retire in 2 - at the most - three years. At that time, we should take a 1st round OLB and if Smith is still just an 8 to 10 sack guy at ROLB and not a 12 to 15 - or more - sack guy at ROLB then we’d have the rookie either take over for Smith at ROLB and move Smith to LOLB or have the rookie start at LOLB - replacing Kerrigan - and probably get double digit sacks going against RTs like Kerrigan does.

8 minutes ago, footy_29 said:

You can disagree where the team is at, but clearly the FO thinks they are competitive in the next 2-3 years. 

Smith > Kerrigan in terms of current value to this team and future value. Kerrigan is a coach dream, so you won't see him being moved on. If we're talking strategy and maximizing return then it should be Kerrigan dealt if we're talking about 2018.

If Smith has 17 sacks next season with Allen/Logan/Ioannidis, I think the approach completely changes to a tag and trade. 

The FO is only concerned about preserving their jobs.

edit - I also disagree about Kerrigan.  He’s a better football player than Smith and is already under a multi year contract. There’s no way I would give Smith an extension.  Trade Smith now while he has value.  The tag and trade stuff is a pipe dream it rarely happens.

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The FO is only concerned about preserving their jobs.

edit - I also disagree about Kerrigan.  He’s a better football player than Smith and is already under a multi year contract. There’s no way I would give Smith an extension.  Trade Smith now while he has value.  The tag and trade stuff is a pipe dream it rarely happens.

That's exactly why they traded for Smith. It keeps the team competitive enough to keep the seats (mostly) full in 2018 and 2019. It doesn't help build a SB team. The eagles blew up the team after the Chip Kelly mess and now look at them. That's why I'm numb to this whole thing. As long as Snyder owns the teams its about his pockets at the expense of us fans. Cannot overstate how terrible he has been and will continue to be. That is why I am numb. 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

He probably won’t be on the team after this season.  Also he is average at best, mediocre a lot of the time.

So is this what we do? draft players then let them go then draft again to fill the position????????/

ryan kerrigan

brian orakpo

preston smith

trent murphy

ryan anderson

2 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

WE ARE NOT THE PATRIOTS! WE DO NOT HAVE TOM BRADY

No but there’s a salary cap.  Even if we drafted perfectly and every player we brought in was a pro bowler we can’t afford to resign all of them.  Some players have to go.  Preston smith is on the last year of his rookie deal and is an average player at best.  He doesn’t deserve a long term extension and therefore isn’t in the teams Long term plans.

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

That’s what the patriots do.

No, the patriots trade players away that they don’t want to keep. And it hasn’t exsty worked well for their defense tbh. They missed Richard Seymour when he was traded. They have missed Jamie Collins since he’s been gone. 

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

No, the patriots trade players away that they don’t want to keep. And it hasn’t exsty worked well for their defense tbh. They missed Richard Seymour when he was traded. They have missed Jamie Collins since he’s been gone. 

Why would we want to extend Preston Smith?

The Pats have won 2 Super Bowls in the past 5 years.  I think I could live with those struggles.

Archived