We Should Trade Preston Smith This Offseason

MKnight82

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Also several people have asked what compensation we should expect for him.  The pats could only get a 2nd for Chandler Jones (who’s a better player) so I think we’d be looking at a 3rd round pick.

A 3rd round pick is not as valuable as a starting ROLB who has 8 sacks and is only going into his 4th year. 

I remember similar discussions in regards to Cooley back in 2010 and 2011. People wanted to trade him because we had drafted Fred Davis, how did that work out again?

Just now, turtle28 said:

A 3rd round pick is not as valuable as a starting ROLB who has 8 sacks and is only going into his 4th year. 

I remember similar discussions in regards to Cooley back in 2010 and 2011. People wanted to trade him because we had drafted Fred Davis, how did that work out again?

You’re ignoring the fact he isn’t under contract for next season and will want a raise.  His performance doesn’t deserve a raise.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

The FO is only concerned about preserving their jobs.

edit - I also disagree about Kerrigan.  He’s a better football player than Smith and is already under a multi year contract. There’s no way I would give Smith an extension.  Trade Smith now while he has value.  The tag and trade stuff is a pipe dream it rarely happens.

Kerrigan is a “better football player” Smith is the better athlete. Smith has a potential to be a better pass rusher than even Kerrigan in the coming years if he keeps working on his pass moves, especially develops and inside move.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Kerrigan is a “better football player” Smith is the better athlete. Smith has a potential to be a better pass rusher than even Kerrigan in the coming years.

Smith is a poor fit as a 3-4 OLB.  He should be a 4-3 DE.  

36 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You’re ignoring the fact he isn’t under contract for next season and will want a raise.  His performance doesn’t deserve a raise.

Any player coming off their rookie season deserves a raise if they’ve played at least average.

It depends on what Smith’s market is. I wouldn’t give him a Kerrigan type deal but if it’s something like Orakpo’s or a little less, I would. 

Getting 8 sacks twice is your first 3 years and being the 2nd best or 3rd best on the team in qb pressures is valuable and shouldn’t be cast aside for a mid round pick.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Any player coming off their rookie season deserves a raise if they’ve played at least average.

It depends on what Smith’s market is. I wouldn’t give him a Kerrigan type deal but if it’s something like Orakpo’s or a little less, I would. 

Getting 8 sacks twice is your first 3 years and being the 2nd best or 3rd best on the team in qb pressures is valuable and shouldn’t be cast aside for a mid round pick.

You’re arguing for settling for average players.  That is a recipe for failure.

30 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Smith is a poor fit as a 3-4 OLB.  He should be a 4-3 DE.  

McCloughan, other scouts and most coaches in the nfl disagree with you. He’s athletic and has Long arms.

I too wanted to make him a 3-4 DE and Murphy when we drafted each of them because I thought their ceilings going against LTs would be 5 or 6 sacks a year but that was 3 and 4 years ago.

If they were going to make Smith a permanent 3-4 DE, they should have done it in his rookie season or the year after. Making the switch in his final Year of his contract is wasiting time just like with Murphy because they’re shown they’re already capable of getting around 10 sacks as an OLB and they both have good size to play the run.

They've both surpasses my expectations of them and especially Smith seems to be trending upwards. Murphy is TBD because he’s coming off tearing his ACL.

I don’t see anyway he’s forced to switch positions or traded. 

28 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You’re arguing for settling for average players.  That is a recipe for failure.

No, I’m saying keep your good players and add more good or even great players in other positions through FA and the draft. 

As lavar said, we don’t need to create mroe holes on our team, we need to fill the other holes we have.

I know you want to rid yourself of Smith or have him convert to a DE and then draft one of the top pas rushers in the draft like Arden Key. If we do that though, then we don’t have the resources to draft Payne, Vea, Guice, Roquan Smith or one of the top CBs or WRs. 

Youre creating an unnecessary vacancy when we alreddy have a guy there who’s gotten 8 sacks in two of his first 3 years going against the best pass blockers inthe NFL.

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No, I’m saying keep your good players and add more good or even great players in other positions through FA and the draft. 

As lavar said, we don’t need to create mroe holes on our team, we need to fill the other holes we have.

I know you want to rid yourself of Smith or have him convert to a DE and then draft one of the top pas rushers in the draft like Arden Key. If we do that though, then we don’t have the resources to draft Payne, Vea, Guice, Roquan Smith or one of the top CBs or WRs. 

Youre creating an unnecessary vacancy when we alreddy have a guy there who’s gotten 8 sacks in two of his first 3 years going against the best pass blockers inthe NFL.

I don’t consider moving on from a mediocre player to be creating a hole.  We would be upgrading a weak spot on the defense.

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don’t consider moving on from a mediocre player to be creating a hole.  We would be upgrading a weak spot on the defense.

IMO an 8 sack a year ROLB who has a few ints and keeps improving is not mediocre, if I remember correctly when you started a topic like this last offseason or during the 2017 season only Doc agreed with you. Everyone else in the forum thought PSmith was better than mediocre but not great.

You're entitled to your opinion but I don’t agree with it and almost everyone in this forum doesn’t. You clearly have a different definition of what an average pass rusher is than I do. I consider an average 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE one that gets 4 to 6 sacks a year, not one that has gotten 8 in 2 of his first 3 seasons and has untapped potential to even get better.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

IMO an 8 sack a year ROLB who has a few ints and keeps improving is not mediocre, if I remember correctly when you started a topic like this last offseason or during the 2017 season only Doc agreed with you. Everyone else in the forum thought PSmith was better than mediocre but not great.

You're entitled to your opinion but I don’t agree with it and almost everyone in this forum doesn’t. You clearly have a different definition of what an average pass rusher is than I do. I consider an average 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE one that gets 4 to 6 sacks a year, not one that has gotten 8 in 2 of his first 3 seasons and has untapped potential to even get better.

We don’t need an average pass rusher, we need a great pass rusher.  We have an average QB, so the other premium positions on the roster are going to have to be elite players.  Signing Preston Smith to a contract extension would be a mistake.  Trade him now and try to find a franchise pass rusher to build the defense around.

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We don’t need an average pass rusher, we need a great pass rusher.  We have an average QB, so the other premium positions on the roster are going to have to be elite players.  Signing Preston Smith to a contract extension would be a mistake.  Trade him now and try to find a franchise pass rusher to build the defense around.

You can keep quoting me trying to change my position but it’s not going to change. I think P Smith is good and could get better with the addition of a spin move and inside rip move like Junior Galette has. I think he and Murphy - if healthy - are the same as Kerrigan in terms of pass rushing ability it’s just Smith goes against LTs all season while Kerrigan rushes against the less talented RTs and that’s the difference in 2 or 3 sacks a year.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You can keep quoting me trying to change my position but it’s not going to change. I think P Smith is good and could get better with the addition of a spin move and inside rip move like Junior Galette has. I think he and Murphy - if healthy - are the same as Kerrigan in terms of pass rushing ability it’s just Smith goes against LTs all season while Kerrigan rushes against the less talented RTs and that’s the difference in 2 or 3 sacks a year.

I don’t care about changing your position.  I’m just staying that your position leads to 8-8.  Have fun rooting for that.

Archived