We Should Trade Preston Smith This Offseason

MKnight82

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don’t care about changing your position.  I’m just staying that your position leads to 8-8.  Have fun rooting for that.

One player doesn’t lead us to 8-8. Smith hasn’t even reached his full potential yet. Your remark is as off base as those who claim the only reason the Redskins didn’t go 10-6 or better the last 3 years is because of Cousins.

Put it this way, if Jon Allen or Ioannidis had gotten 8 sacks in 2 of the last 3 years you’d be crapping your pants you’d be so excited. :D

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

One player doesn’t lead us to 8-8. Smith hasn’t even reached his full potential yet. Your remark is as off base as those who claim the only reason the Redskins didn’t go 10-6 or better the last 3 years is because of Cousins.

He plays the most important position on our defense and is an average player at best.  His play has a significant impact on whether we win games.  Especially since we traded for an average QB.  We’re going to have to with other ways than having Alex Smith carry us.

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He plays the most important position on our defense and is an average player at best.  His play has a significant impact on whether we win games.  Especially since we traded for an average QB.  We’re going to have to with other ways than having Alex Smith carry us.

I believe that if Jon Allen stays healthy it helps out all our pass rushers as he’s the only one who commands double teams when we’re rushing the passer.

So, Smith had 4.5 sacks before Allen got hurt and 3.5 after Allen got hurt. Ioannidis had 2 or 3 before Allen got hurt and a few more after. 

The key is Allen, he has the potential to be All-Pro and If Allen is healthy next year Smith will get double digit sacks along with Kerrigan. Allen, Ioannidis, Lanier and McClain will combine for 15 from the DE/DT spot.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I believe that if Jon Allen stays healthy it helps out all our pass rushers as he’s the only one who commands double teams when we’re rushing the passer.

So, Smith had 4.5 sacks before Allen got hurt and 3.5 after Allen got hurt. Ioannidis had 2 or 3 before Allen got hurt and a few more after. 

The key is Allen, he has the potential to be All-Pro and If Allen is healthy next year Smith will get double digit sacks along with Kerrigan. Allen, Ioannidis, Lanier and McClain will combine for 15 from the DE/DT spot.

If Allen is the only player on out front 7 that pulls double teams that’s a problem.

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If Allen is the only player on out front 7 that pulls double teams that’s a problem.

Yeah, a problem almost every team in the nfl has. You act like every team is not in a similar situation that our pass rush is in and it seems fiction. 

Philly’s Pass rush this year got lucky, they all stayed healthy, but if they had lost Fletcher Cox then their pass rush wouldn’t have been as good.

Shayne Ray & Derek Wolfe gut hurt for Denver and it hurt their defensive pass rush and there’s plenty of other examples.

I would trade Preston Smith only if by the NFL Trade Deadline, he was not having a career year. If he isn't going to get you over the hump and you don't want to resign him, trade him. That being said, I think it would be foolish to not have him here during a "contract year," where players generally play their best to gain that new contract. 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

He won't be once Payne is here and I'd be shocked if they pass on Payne. Allen, Payne, Ioannidis and Lanier is a hell of a start for a DL.

I'm a straight up jerk.

But if I knew heading into the draft that it was inadvisable for Kerrigan to play on the right side because of his hearing, I would have passed. Many here would have. I remember those clamoring for the crazy physical specimens at DE compared to past and future years. Watt/Jordan/Wilkerson/Heyward (Solder at OT and Smith at CB fit that prerequisite too).

A perfect role model was needed on defense, so I suppose there is that to factor in, but there were a boatload of impressive physical specimens on the DL and they passed on them all. Maybe I'm not over it.

Either way, if we're being real, it doesn't make sense to trade either of them right now. Add to the pass rush, do not subtract. 

I actually think they'll look to sign Preston Smith long-term this off-season like they did with Morgan Moses and more recently Dunbar. Schaeffer is the man with the plan - I still can't believe most of you do not see it.  

We should Trade Crowder, Reed, Doctson, Smith, Norman, Swearinger, Moses and Scherff.

We need to think about 2 or 3 years down the line, obviously we aren’t going to keep these players because they aren’t pro bowlers so we should just move them and then suck for 4 or 5 years and start over.

We should trade TWill and Kerrigan, night as well sell high they aren’t the future, they’re the past.

I’m sure we will see these topics next for in future months or next year or the year after. It’s inevitable.

Archived