How Would You Solve Our RT Position?

titansNvolsR#1

RT Troubles  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How would you solve the RT issue for next season?

• Roll with who is on the team and try to survive until JC returns
    • Sign a midtier FA and have a high quality backup when JC returns
    • Pay a large amount of cap for a quick fix as insurance for JC
    • Swap Lewan to RT and get buck wild with Nate Solder

Was thinking about this earlier today. Obviously this all depends on Conklin's recovery time, but assuming he starts the year out on PUP or misses the first few weeks:

If he stars the year on PUP, I think I'd be most comfortable spending more on a mid-tier RT that could shift to G if need be.

If he's only out for a few weeks, then maybe try to survive until he returns. 

I just don't hope we decide to try to survive if he'll be out for 5 or more weeks. Can't risk the season that early with a hole at RT.

Kelly at LT was..not entirely awful in spot duty last year. There's a decent bit of difference between playing LT and RT and it takes practice to make the transition smoothly, which he didn't have. A full OTAs/training camp at RT and he should be..not entirely awful at RT. Can run an offense that assists Kelly with Walker/Smith/Stocker chipping/or full on blocking. Lewan can be left on an island so don't have to worry much about the left side.

One option we could look at is Byron Bell. He could play 4 of the 5 positions(and even had some practice at C), was decent at guard when we let him play there(before Poutasi being what amounted to a turnstile at RT forcing Bell to move out there) and is a fine replacement T. Not sure he'd start over Kelly at RT but would be better depth than what we currently have. Schwenke is an FA so Bell isn't even a guy you have to cut when Conklin comes back, as Kelly would resume being the swing tackle, and Bell moves to being the swing interior depth.

3 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Ideally... Signing someone like Pugh who could play RT... And can then slide to G, where he belongs...

In a more realistic scenario... Bring in a guy who can compete with Kelly to hold the fort down while Conklin returns.

I don't think Pugh leaves New York, but if he does, he's not going to be cheap. I just don't think Kelly is that bad to require that type of investment to replace him for how long Conklin is out. I know they should have a better feeling on how soon to expect him back, so if there's a more pressing need than we imagine right now I think they will act accordingly, but if I had it my way, I'd pick up someone cheap on a 1-year deal to compete in camp with Kelly if they don't feel like handing him the starting spot right away, and if they were to look at someone like Pugh, sign him but have him take over one of the G spots and keep his focus on that, don't have him switch positions mid-season.

If I’m TN I call Buf & I offer a 5th round pick for Cordy Glenn. For those who’s not familiar with Cordy here’s a quick run down he’s 6’6 340lbs when healthy is a top 10 tackle. He can play tackle or guard he’s super athletic & agile for a man that size. He has 3yrs 24 mill left on his deal 9mill of that is remaining guaranteed money. Buf is trying to clear cap space. I’ll trade for glen put him at Guard & pray kelly hold it down for 6 weeks. 

Kelly is pretty bad. I don’t want to rely on him for 6-8 weeks or however long it takes for Conklin to get back. I said yesterday in the offseason thread that I want a guy who can play both OT and OG. Someone who is capable of playing RT for the time needed and then slide inside when Conklin gets back. 

I don’t think kelly is bad, believe me it’s a whole technique adjustment playing on the left side to the right side, going against a speed rusher or guy with strong hands & technique. He wasn’t ready to step in on the right side against the patriots. Also keep in mind this offseason he’ll get a lot of reps at RT & we’ll be moving towards and offense that suits him better. Kelly was drafted by Chip Kelly to play in an uptempo offense 

23 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I don’t think kelly is bad, believe me it’s a whole technique adjustment playing on the left side to the right side, going against a speed rusher or guy with strong hands & technique. He wasn’t ready to step in on the right side against the patriots. Also keep in mind this offseason he’ll get a lot of reps at RT & we’ll be moving towards and offense that suits him better. Kelly was drafted by Chip Kelly to play in an uptempo offense 

He also signed Demarco Murray for that offense, so his personnel decisions aren't going to win anybody over.

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

I'll buy this. Kelly isn't a bad spot starter and yea, he prob wasn't prepped to play RT against the Pats (Mularkey/Robiskie probably had him in the gameplan to get some passing targets that game, though, to keep NE unbalanced). 

It'd be nice to get a RT to hold down the fort while Jack rehabs. It would have to be cheap, though, and I don't want to see us draft a guy and throw him out there week 1.

A guy that can play OG/RT would be perfect.

I remember we had Byron Bell. I don't want Bell obviously, but someone like that, but better. I think Kelly is good for 1-2 games at a time. We did give a lot help to our OT's at times, so his problems could be masked somewhat.

I don't know if they don't believe Kelly could do the job. Didn't he sign an extension?  Also, we have a couple of late round linemen that were picked. I wonder did any of them develop or progress to the level where they can compete.

17 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

A guy that can play OG/RT would be perfect.

I remember we had Byron Bell. I don't want Bell obviously, but someone like that, but better. I think Kelly is good for 1-2 games at a time. We did give a lot help to our OT's at times, so his problems could be masked somewhat.

I don't know if they don't believe Kelly could do the job. Didn't he sign an extension?  Also, we have a couple of late round linemen that were picked. I wonder did any of them develop or progress to the level where they can compete.

I like lewin the C we drafted I hope he challenge Ben jones. Again I think kelly just left a bad taste in our mouth from the NE game, any other times he’s stepped in his play been solid, but be real our best OL our LT looked bad against the patriots he gave up two back to back sacks. I have faith in kelly, but Cordy Glenn the guy I hope we look at especially going against that jaguars front next year we need big athletic guys that can push the pile 

Archived