NFL Combine Invite List

Da_Ducktator

4 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Steve Ishmael got hosed for the receivers group. Three Oklahoma State WRs, two SMU guys, two Texans Tech guys, etc. 

Who is the other one? Trey Quinn didn't get an invite from what I can see. 

edit. nevermind, there he is.

9 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Who is the other one? Trey Quinn didn't get an invite from what I can see. 

edit. nevermind, there he is.

They add the target uptempo hogs the AAC and Big 12, and deny the unanimous all ACC receiver. I see there's some questionable behavior people and injured athletically gifted guys who got the nod instead.

Just now, MD4L said:

They add the target uptempo hogs the AAC and Big 12, and deny the unanimous all ACC receiver. I see there's some questionable behavior people and injured athletically gifted guys who got the nod instead.

Isn't Ishmael a target uptempo hog as well?

Just now, Jlash said:

Isn't Ishmael a target uptempo hog as well?

Yeah. His competition was legitimate this year playing strong secondaries like LSU, FSU, and Clemson. His 12/143/1 performance against FSU was as good a game any WR has put up in Tallahassee for a while.

54 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Steve Ishmael got hosed for the receivers group. Three Oklahoma State WRs, two SMU guys, two Texans Tech guys, etc. 

I had no clue who the third guy even was until he was on this list...

2 hours ago, MD4L said:

Ishmael was a snub, yes, but the people you're complaining about outside of Okie St's third WR (Chris Lacy) are not the ones you should be complaining about. Trey Quinn had a three-game stretch this season in which he hauled in 48 catches on 60 targets (80% catch rate) and he ranked 12th in this class in Market Share of Passing Yards. He is also an LSU transfer who did well in track in high school and has been clocked in the 4.3's as well. There is plenty to like about Quinn (he is a day two guy for me).

Then the Texas Tech guys, Keke Coutee is an electric talent who was 15th in this class in MSPY while Dylan Cantrell is a big-bodied receiver with 15 TD's the last two years.

Ishmael is a solid player but outside of Lacy, the other guys you mentioned he does not have much of an argument against..

37 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Ishmael was a snub, yes, but the people you're complaining about outside of Okie St's third WR (Chris Lacy) are not the ones you should be complaining about. Trey Quinn had a three-game stretch this season in which he hauled in 48 catches on 60 targets (80% catch rate) and he ranked 12th in this class in Market Share of Passing Yards. He is also an LSU transfer who did well in track in high school and has been clocked in the 4.3's as well. There is plenty to like about Quinn (he is a day two guy for me).

Then the Texas Tech guys, Keke Coutee is an electric talent who was 15th in this class in MSPY while Dylan Cantrell is a big-bodied receiver with 15 TD's the last two years.

Ishmael is a solid player but outside of Lacy, the other guys you mentioned he does not have much of an argument against..

I'm well aware of Trey Quinn. Never dismissed any of the other guys as much it's interesting how they bulked on multiple schools.

I hope for the best for just about every guy.  Ishmael had 7 TD his sophomore year (amongst top in ACC without a spread offense), dropped a 3/93/2 TD performance against FSU year 1 against PJ Williams (NFL CB), and has faced some top flight competition at Syracuse. He dropped a 4/34 line against Tredavious White without their starting QB in year two. Scored on Rams starting safety as his only TD in year 3 against John Johnson III (Rams starting safety) Also he's never played with one QB in one year with guys like Zach Mahoney, AJ Long, Austin Wilson, getting playing time. In his 2017 season, he had three consecutive games (Pittsburgh, NC State, and Clemson) where TDs were called back due to penalties. I get that I may have shouted some guys who deserve a combine invite, but my point remains. A NFL caliber receiver was snubbed after having the best season of his college career.

10 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Somebody on Twitter who supposedly works in the league ( @CalhounLambeau will know him) told me that nobody that he had talked to in the NFL had Ford with higher than a PFA grade. While I certainly think he is draftable, he is one of those kind of guys who is way short compared to the standard and has subpar arm length and it's doubtful he'll test well. Teams know what they are going to get, a guy who is probably a situational player at best.

Lanning is a solid player and we all love a great story about this hardworking kid who switched positions for the better of the team. But he is an average athlete who we already got a measurement on at the Shrine Game. Same can be said for Deatrick Nichols. We kind of already know what these guys are, NFL teams generally don't value those types until late, and teams have already seen them up close at All-Star practices as well, so the interest must simply not be high.

Jalen Davis would be the only one among the ones you listed that I would agree pretty strongly about. Would have been nice to see him test in Indy.

Honestly I do not read others opinions to create my own, so if someone says Ford is not a good player that is now how I view it.  I think Poona had a great season and really stood out in some games, his height to me is not a concern especially as a 3/4 DE which he could play maybe or a DT.  Sure would be nice to be bigger but sometimes those guys who are short and squatty are hard to handle inside.  I think he could be hard to handle inside and be a nice DT down the road.  As for Lanning, would like to see him time out but will in his pro day.  The story of having a former QB transition to LB and be as productive as he is, well that is not only rare it is borderline historic.  Think about what he could become with more time at the position if he was this good already.  Cannot recall any QB doing that successfully and in his senior year.

A few other surprises, Steven Richardson, Trent Harris, Marcell Frazier, Cody O'Connell, Tyrone Crowder, Bradley Bozeman, Came Serigne, Ethan Wolf and Jordan Chunn.

The game Chunn had against LSU has to open some eyes, very productive big back that is for sure and could be a fine late round draft pick.  Wolf just on size alone is worth a long look and O'Connell has surprising athletic ability for his size but playing in that offense did not do him any favors but did show he is a very solid pass protector.  Steven Richardson as a JR was one of the top DTs around, under this new coaching staff I think that hurt his game a lot.  Different system and was far less productive and impactful as a player.  Still kid is very strong and thick, good pass rusher inside who should be a drafted DT I feel even with a sub par SR year.  Is a better player than what he showed this past year.  And Marcell Frazier is impressive at his size, almost ideal 4/3 DE prospect, still has to work on his game but had a fine SR year, same with Trent Harris as a potential 3/4 OLB.

For the most part though a majority of the guys who should have got in of course did.  

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Honestly I do not read others opinions to create my own, so if someone says Ford is not a good player that is now how I view it.  I think Poona had a great season and really stood out in some games, his height to me is not a concern especially as a 3/4 DE which he could play maybe or a DT.  Sure would be nice to be bigger but sometimes those guys who are short and squatty are hard to handle inside.  I think he could be hard to handle inside and be a nice DT down the road. 

Not sure where you got that I base my opinions off what others say? I was stating that somebody in the league told me that NFL teams don't have higher than a PFA grade on Ford (at least among those he had talked to). I said myself that I think he is draftable. I was just showing the point as to why Ford wasn't invited (NFL teams don't have high grades on him whereas I see people out there seeing he is a top 100 talent being snub from Indy).

Archived