How does this SB effect Tom Brady's status of all time?

mdonnelly21

105 members have voted

1. 1. How did this SB Effect Tom Brady's Status

• It was a surplus to his career by a lot
    • It was surplus to his career by a little
    • It did not help or hurt
    • It hurt his career

Something to keep in mind is that even though he threw for 500 yards, he only threw for 3 TDs and when the game was on the line he fumbled. Foles threw for fewer yards and the same amount of TDs and made key throws at the end that gave the Eagles the win. It was sort of a reverse scenario with Foles doing what Brady has often done in these types of games. 

Of all of their SBs, I believe this is the first time that Brady didn't lead the team to a score when in a similar situation and made a mistake that closed the curtain on them winning.

GOAT is a definitive title and its situations like this that can continue to cement legacies and if he does drive down the field and score and they close out the game, it just makes the argument even more concrete. 

But now, there is fuel for the other side to say that football is a team sport and NE's success boils down to organization/team/consistency/execution and not just one man. If the defense plays better maybe they win and those 3 TDs are good enough and the fumble doesn't matter, yada, yada, yada. 

9 hours ago, The Third Rider said:

As a Pats fan I am very bias but it does not change my opinion that he is the best QB of all time. He straight up gives you the best chance to win a game and there is no such thing as a safe lead against him. You win and lose as a team, so he has to accept this lose as much as he takes credit for the ones they win. It does look bad when you look at as a win percentage but at the end of the day I rather 5 Super Bowls trophies and 3 loses than 4 Lombardis and no defeats.

I’d rather have 5 Lombardis and 3 losses than 5 Lombardis and 2 losses. The later just means that you were less competent and ended up losing earlier to an easier team. Losing to Jacksonville or Tennessee the weeks before should not make you look better than you are as a Super Bowl loser.

5 Lombardis and 3 losses is waaaaaaay better than 4 Lombardis and no losses

GOOD VS. BAD for brady's playoff run

GOOD

1 more SB appearance

2 more playoff wins

added 1132 playoff yards

added 8tds 0ints

first player to have 10k+ playoff yards

most yard ever in the  SB and in the entire post season history

3 straight 100+ QB rating in the playoffs

BAD

1 SB loss

didn't shake foles' hands

i'll take the good.

well it's a superbowl loss and his only fault was he couldn't catch (though in the grand scheme that was huge)

so it shouldn't hurt him - i am a firm believer in crediting a team for getting to the big dance rather than vomiting all over them for losing it so this season was successful for brady

5 minutes ago, Wolverine_Joe said:

GOOD VS. BAD for brady's playoff run

GOOD

1 more SB appearance

2 more playoff wins

added 1132 playoff yards

added 8tds 0ints

first player to have 10k+ playoff yards

most yard ever in the  SB and in the entire post season history

3 straight 100+ QB rating in the playoffs

BAD

1 SB loss

didn't shake foles' hands

i'll take the good.

I'm surprised you feel that way, Wolverine. As a Buckeye fan I think his fumble, dropped pass and his hail mary pass that was off the mark by several millimeters  lost it for his team and now he shouldn't make the HOF.

Honestly, no one will really remember this one, they will remember last years.

7 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Tom Brady made some great throws let me first say that.

He also made a lot of really bad throws. The accuracy that we have seen from him in the past just wasn't there.

Even then most of his great throws were to wide open receivers being poorly covered.

Having said that this doesn't effect him in a major negative way. It does more for the Eagles and Foles.

He also completed some throws that weren't exactly accurate.   As great as he was I think they left more points/yards on the board.

Also, not to disparage Brady at all but do Patriot receivers literally catch everything that they can get two hands on?

16 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'm surprised you feel that way, Wolverine. As a Buckeye fan I think his fumble, dropped pass and his hail mary pass that was off the mark by several millimeters  lost it for his team and now he shouldn't make the HOF.

Honestly, no one will really remember this one, they will remember last years.

brady who thought about winning the 6th ring, changed his mind and decided to give his fellow wolverine brandon graham a sack fumble of his life.  us, wolverines, we support each other. :D

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

It doesn't change anything. He's the GOAT. The only thing he can do at this point is jack up the amount of rings he's won to make him even less chaseable in the future. This one would have helped, but his legacy is already the GOAT and losing in the Super Bowl doesn't change that. Even if he pulls an Eli Manning next year in terms of performance, he's still the GOAT. Declining in the twilight of your career shouldn't affect your legacy at all.

Also, people that point to rings without context as to determining career success are idiots.

Completely agree. I've watched them all for 65 years and Brady is the goat and I am no NE fan. Nobody comes close IMO!!!

Only increases his resume, which already was the greatest for a QB in the modern era.

Doesn't mean he's the greatest quarterback to play the position in terms of ability though. For some reason people equate list of accomplishments to ability of playing the position. Those are two different things. I still think Marino or Rodgers are the best to play position. Maybe Steve Young too. :) 

Archived