How does this SB effect Tom Brady's status of all time?

mdonnelly21

105 members have voted

1. 1. How did this SB Effect Tom Brady's Status

• It was a surplus to his career by a lot
    • It was surplus to his career by a little
    • It did not help or hurt
    • It hurt his career

On 2/6/2018 at 1:24 PM, Phire said:

I can't believe the polls. This helps his career. Just getting to the Super Bowl for the 8th time is a monumental achievement that probably will never be replicated. And the game he had was one of the best games he has ever had. The dude threw over 500 yards, no picks, and three touchdowns. This loss is NOT on Tom Brady. In fact, he had a magnificent game. The Eagles defense has been quite good all year and he shredded them. 

Losing a third Super Bowl as a favorite can't possibly help in the context of GOAT. The soft AFC East has definitely helped the Patriots, and sports isn't about reaching the title game. Brady just wasn't as accurate as he's usually been, and that fumble late was uncharacteristic of his postseason career. He's still a top five QB, but this loss stings.

17 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

As I stated in another thread weeks ago it doesn't changes his status one bit. Win or Lose.

He's still the GOAT of QB's

There's no a single valid argument against him. Not one. Anyone suggesting Montana being 4-0 need to understand "He didn't" have 4 more SB opportunities to prove he'd stay undefeated. So pointing to a 5-3 record as a argument against, is asinine.

His Playoff numbers won't be duplicated ever again. Better chance of Some WR catching Rice or a Player catching the Ironman streak which neither of them will happen either. That's how impressive his Overall Resume is!

Scary that hes still not done either

GOAT!

If Montana played during Brady's era, you better believe you would have at least equaled the numbers TB has amassed. It's ridiculous to compare this easier era to throw the ball with the 1980s. No way Montana chokes against the Giants in SB 42, and Brady is closer to the end than many think.

On 2/6/2018 at 1:03 PM, Carmen Cygni said:

I get that you're currently stuck in the moment and savoring it, congrats, but I have that view (Brady top 5 all-time) regardless of his pretty performance this past Super Bowl. And it's not wrong, there have been a lot of great players to play QB for the NFL and I don't let team accomplishments cloud my judgement.

Stuck in the moment? I am almost 50 years old. Until a couple years ago I had Montana as the GOAT. After watching Brady do what he does for 17 seasons am I really a "prisoner of the moment?"

I think I could better argue that anyone who still thinks Montana is the GOAT is stuck in the past and their nostalgia is keeping them from objectively viewing the field.

8 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

If Montana played during Brady's era, you better believe you would have at least equaled the numbers TB has amassed. It's ridiculous to compare this easier era to throw the ball with the 1980s. No way Montana chokes against the Giants in SB 42, and Brady is closer to the end than many think.

I can literally predict this argument from one response to the next.

I will save someone the time... "And if Brady played with the best team money could buy for most of his career, before free agency could adversely affect his supporting cast, what do you think he could have accomplished?"

How many times did Joe Montana have to carry the Niners through a season and the playoffs? If anyone says anything other than "never" they werent there watching the games.

Again, I am almost 50. And until a couple years ago Montana was the unquestioned GOAT as far as I was concerned. 

21 hours ago, hudson3010 said:

I’d rather have 5 Lombardis and 3 losses than 5 Lombardis and 2 losses. The later just means that you were less competent and ended up losing earlier to an easier team. Losing to Jacksonville or Tennessee the weeks before should not make you look better than you are as a Super Bowl loser.

5 Lombardis and 3 losses is waaaaaaay better than 4 Lombardis and no losses

Yeah I've never really understand why people bring up the 4-0, 6-0 whatever when talking about Brady, Jordan, etc. 

Would Brady have a greater legacy if he'd been knocked out of the first round of the playoffs in '07, '11, and '17?  He'd be 5-0 in Super Bowls!  But who cares?

The same logic is never applied to coaches.  Like nobody thinks Nick Saban isn't the GOAT because he's lost a lot of national championships.  They just say 'wow that guy is always in the national championship game and finishes 1 or 2.'  Seems like a healthier perspective tbh. 

By the same token, I'm much more impressed by Peyton Manning's record of winning (consistently made playoffs, made a bunch of CG and 4 SB, won two) than Eli's (basically had two good playoff runs and a bunch of missing the playoffs or one and dones).  To me its not even close.

2 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Yeah I've never really understand why people bring up the 4-0, 6-0 whatever when talking about Brady, Jordan, etc. 

Would Brady have a greater legacy if he'd been knocked out of the first round of the playoffs in '07, '11, and '17?  He'd be 5-0 in Super Bowls!  But who cares?

The same logic is never applied to coaches.  Like nobody thinks Nick Saban isn't the GOAT because he's lost a lot of national championships.  They just say 'wow that guy is always in the national championship game and finishes 1 or 2.'  Seems like a healthier perspective tbh. 

By the same token, I'm much more impressed by Peyton Manning's record of winning (consistently made playoffs, made a bunch of CG and 4 SB, won two) than Eli's (basically had two good playoff runs and a bunch of missing the playoffs or one and dones).  To me its not even close.

It's a disingenuous logic fallacy. Pretty much designed to just prop up someone for doing less.

It's like this: Let's take Michael Jordan's career and put it in an alternative universe. Keep all the years he won the Finals. Then say that the other 10 years he played he went to the finals and lost game 7. 

Real Michael Jordan: 6-0 in finals. 

Alternate Universe Michael Jordan 6-10 in finals. 

Now here's the thing, the REALITY of the matter is, the Michael Jordan that went 6-10 did ALL the things that the real Michael Jordan is praised for AND he went further and did BETTER every single other year. Only a complete idiot would say the actual Jordan is better. That's basically the argument those people are making. Yes it's THAT stupid. 

It's like saying an Olympic sprinter who 4 medals and never qualified for another race is worse than a sprinter who 5 gold medals and 3 silver medals because he qualified for the races but didn't come in first. 

I just don't understand the loss in a super bowl always hurts argument.

Option A

Brady has a 10 point 4th quarter comeback win verse a really good jags defense in the afc championship. He then goes to the superbowl and has 505 yards(new record by a long shot) and 3 tds. Overall, a really good individual performance(not perfect). His team still loses and he's now 5-3 in the super bowl.

Option B

The comback verse the jags never happens and he comes up short. His team loses in the afc championship. Hes 5-2 in the superbowl

I'm cool with the thought that just making a super bowl isn't a huge accomplishment, but how do you think option b is better?

14 hours ago, Jham15 said:

I just don't understand the loss in a super bowl always hurts argument.

Option A

Brady has a 10 point 4th quarter comeback win verse a really good jags defense in the afc championship. He then goes to the superbowl and has 505 yards(new record by a long shot) and 3 tds. Overall, a really good individual performance(not perfect). His team still loses and he's now 5-3 in the super bowl.

Option B

The comback verse the jags never happens and he comes up short. His team loses in the afc championship. Hes 5-2 in the superbowl

I'm cool with the thought that just making a super bowl isn't a huge accomplishment, but how do you think option b is better?

Well said.

Archived