How does this SB effect Tom Brady's status of all time?

mdonnelly21

105 members have voted

1. 1. How did this SB Effect Tom Brady's Status

• It was a surplus to his career by a lot
    • It was surplus to his career by a little
    • It did not help or hurt
    • It hurt his career

Dan Marino best QB of his era.  Was better than Montana,  Elway, Simms, and even other QB of his era. 

Played on a team that wasn't as good as SF which was a dynasty level team with HOFers all over it. 

Yup. Dan Marino. How bout them apples?

Brady in this era has been unbelievable.  8 super bowls, 5 championships, epic stats. I always thought manning was better but no one has been as good as Brady in this era. It's other worldly what he has accomplished.

And personally, I think it's impossible to compare across eras. Game and rules change and that matters. Also huge amount of RECENCY bias in judging now vs then. Back them couldn't watch non market games. No direct tv. Couldn't watch all the highlights as cable and ESPN not there or new to market. Sports page is where you saw much non market teams.  Just different era. Different fan experience.

Just my two cents. I still say Marino. Said it back then, say it now for that era. Brady this era and it isn't even close anymore.

On 2/7/2018 at 7:26 PM, Non-Issue said:

Stuck in the moment? I am almost 50 years old. Until a couple years ago I had Montana as the GOAT. After watching Brady do what he does for 17 seasons am I really a "prisoner of the moment?"

I think I could better argue that anyone who still thinks Montana is the GOAT is stuck in the past and their nostalgia is keeping them from objectively viewing the field.

At least you know you’re talking to complete ******* idiots who know nothing about football when they say he isn’t the GOAT. Saves you time from talking to them

I think this Superbowl hurts a tiny bit. The competition in the AFC wasn't impressive and thus reaching the Superbowl isn't impressive. The expectation by many was the Pats would win and they didnt. So we can't just ignore it and pretend it never happened as part of his legacy

11 minutes ago, Eagles23 said:

I think this Superbowl hurts a tiny bit. The competition in the AFC wasn't impressive and thus reaching the Superbowl isn't impressive. The expectation by many was the Pats would win and they didnt. So we can't just ignore it and pretend it never happened as part of his legacy

In the NFC Rodgers went down and it took the Packers out, the entire LOB was eviscerated with injuries in Seattle. The Falcons were having a down year. The Cowboys were handicapped with Zeke out. Those were the division winners last year. It wasn't a strong year overall in both conferences. 

2 hours ago, Eagles23 said:

tumblr_ma532q7ZCj1rvwttvo1_500.gif

3 hours ago, Eagles23 said:

Not to mention, Brady fumbled away a possible game-winning opportunity in the waning minutes as well.

9 minutes ago, Starless said:

A valid criticism if you can actually show what Brady could've done to avoid fumbling.

I won't hold my breath.

Dumped it off to a WIDE OPEN RB in the flat, after his 3 step hitch, instead of holding on to it too long as pressure collapsed the pocket.

Don't choke . . . like Brady did here.

1 minute ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Dumped it off to the RB, after his 3 step hitch, instead of holding on to it too long as pressure collapsed the pocket.

Don't choke . . . like Brady did here.

Add another to the list of things you have a poor grasp of. Watch:

The time to sack was 2.8 seconds. The route combination was such that Brady realistically needed more time than that to come back to his checkdown. 

Just now, Starless said:

Add another to the list of things you have a poor grasp of. Watch:

The time to sack was 2.8 seconds. The route combination was such that Brady realistically needed more time than that to come back to his checkdown. 

Ah, so the elite decision maker and master of pocket movement couldn't sense what was coming and couldn't get the ball off quick enough to an outlet to avoid the strip sack. Gotcha.

6 minutes ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Ah, so the elite decision maker and master of pocket movement couldn't sense what was coming and couldn't get the ball off quick enough to an outlet to avoid the strip sack. Gotcha.

That's not how pocket movement works. When the edge rushers are coming down you have no choice but to step up in the pocket because otherwise you'll get nothing on the throw. If one of your interior linemen gets beat as well, particularly when you've already started your throwing motion, that's what's going to happen. The play was set up in a way that made it impossible for him to get rid of the ball quickly.

Brady's average snap-to-throw time this season was 2.71 seconds. So basically he held the ball less than a tenth of a second longer than normal on a play where his first read was Gronk deep down the seam. If he'd held the ball considerably longer than he usually would or if he'd had an escape route that he didn't take, you'd have a point. But that wasn't the case.

Credit Graham for making a great play. I don't know why it's so difficult to do that.

4 minutes ago, Starless said:

That's not how pocket movement works. When the edge rushers are coming down you have no choice but to step up in the pocket because otherwise you'll get nothing on the throw. If one of your interior linemen gets beat as well, particularly when you've already started your throwing motion, that's what's going to happen. The play was set up in a way that made it impossible for him to get rid of the ball quickly.

Credit Graham for making a great play. I don't know why it's so difficult to do that.

Danny Amendola was also WIDE THE **** OPEN on a 5 yard dig right over the middle and was timed up perfectly with that 3 step hitch but Brady was looking elsewhere and continued to add another hitch step and hold the ball. That's two receivers he could have chosen from, but he failed to recognize them just as he did in anticipating the pass rush personnel.

I can credit Graham and discredit Brady. Both are true.

2 minutes ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Danny Amendola was also WIDE THE **** OPEN on a 5 yard dig right over the middle and was timed up perfectly with that 3 tesp hitch but Brady was looking elsewhere. That's two receivers he could have chosen from, but he failed to recognize them just as he did in anticipating the pass rush personnel.

Uh, no. Amendola wasn't open. Bradham was pretty clearly playing the hook zone and sitting on his route.

Archived