How does this SB effect Tom Brady's status of all time?

mdonnelly21

105 members have voted

1. 1. How did this SB Effect Tom Brady's Status

• It was a surplus to his career by a lot
    • It was surplus to his career by a little
    • It did not help or hurt
    • It hurt his career

32 minutes ago, Jham15 said:

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2013/05/exploring-causes-of-sack-pt-1.html?m=1

The average time from the snap until a sack is initiated (4.3 sec) is far greater than the average drop and pass time of an NFL quarterback (2.7 sec).

Thanks. Yep, that's where I got it from. I'm sure it varies year-to-year, but it's probably within a tenth of a second or so. Can safely assume it's 4+ seconds. Needless to say, the gap between that and 2.8 seconds is significantly more than the gap between average pass time of 2.7 seconds and 2.8 seconds.

Edit: Just found this: http://www.nfl.com/videos/next-gen-stats/0ap3000000884012/Next-Gen-Stats-Fastest-average-time-to-sack-this-season

Video was from the middle of this season, and the graphic says average time-to-sack was 4.27 seconds

SatjWgD.jpg

On 2/13/2018 at 10:54 PM, PatriotsWin! said:

He had an all-time great performance, if anything it further adds to his legacy.

No, I've seen Brady play better in many postseason games. Any objective fan would tell you his accuracy was off, and despite the high yardage total(especially in the first half), the Patriots should have had more points. We also can't give Brady a pass on the fumble late in the game, and this latest loss points out the flaw in New England's formula. When the Patriots struggle defensively, it places even more burden on the player clearly responsible for most of the success. And losing a third SB as a favorite is a big deal.

We also see the strong influence of fantasy football in these discussions, it's not all about passing yardage. Winning the passing yardage battle hardly assures a team of victory, and Nick Foles was better in the more crucial moments of this SB. And if the Pats get back to another SB, and lose that one as well, being a four time loser will definitely hurt Brady's legacy.  

1 hour ago, LaserFocus said:

No, I've seen Brady play better in many postseason games. Any objective fan would tell you his accuracy was off, and despite the high yardage total(especially in the first half), the Patriots should have had more points. We also can't give Brady a pass on the fumble late in the game, and this latest loss points out the flaw in New England's formula. When the Patriots struggle defensively, it places even more burden on the player clearly responsible for most of the success. And losing a third SB as a favorite is a big deal.

We also see the strong influence of fantasy football in these discussions, it's not all about passing yardage. Winning the passing yardage battle hardly assures a team of victory, and Nick Foles was better in the more crucial moments of this SB. And if the Pats get back to another SB, and lose that one as well, being a four time loser will definitely hurt Brady's legacy.  

How many times did Joe Montana’s defense give up 41 points? Thought so. Thanks 

33 minutes ago, lancerman said:

How many times did Joe Montana’s defense give up 41 points? Thought so. Thanks 

Never said Brady was the main reason NE lost, but it clearly wasn't one of his elite performances. He played valiantly, but wasn't his usual sharp self. How many times have we seen Brady make that kind of mistake late in a postseason game? Joe Montana never made that kind of mistake in a SB, and only had to bail out his team once, in SB 23 versus the Bengals. I get it, Pats fans are sensitive about objective comments about a great QB like Tom Brady. We just can't get too carried away with yardage totals in today's NFL, Brady did play well enough to win, but needed to be at his best, and wasn't. If someone had told me before the game Foles would have been stronger in the clutch, I would have been incredulous.     

6 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Never said Brady was the main reason NE lost, but it clearly wasn't one of his elite performances. He played valiantly, but wasn't his usual sharp self. How many times have we seen Brady make that kind of mistake late in a postseason game? Joe Montana never made that kind of mistake in a SB, and only had to bail out his team once, in SB 23 versus the Bengals. I get it, Pats fans are sensitive about objective comments about a great QB like Tom Brady. We just can't get too carried away with yardage totals in today's NFL, Brady did play well enough to win, but needed to be at his best, and wasn't. If someone had told me before the game Foles would have been stronger in the clutch, I would have been incredulous.     

If a QB has to play at his absolute best to win the game, the team around him has sucked, and I can never blame a QB in that situation.

11 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Not really. It would mean he played in 9 Super Bowls. It would just add to his legacy. That would be five more SBs than Montana, who had three one-and-dones where he had passer ratings of 66, 34 and 42. Joe Montana is arguably the GOAT QB, but only fools would think that losing before the SB is somehow better for one's legacy than losing in the SB.

15 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Not really. It would mean he played in 9 Super Bowls. It would just add to his legacy. That would be five more SBs than Montana, who had three one-and-dones where he had passer ratings of 66, 34 and 42. Joe Montana is arguably the GOAT QB, but only fools would think that losing before the SB is somehow better for one's legacy than losing in the SB.

This. I get Montana was "perfect in the Super Bowl" but it was in an era where the real Super Bowl was the NFCCG and the AFC team you faced might not have even been one of the top 5 teams in the league. Brady won more and he went to twice as many. Oh and Brady owns Joe in virtually every stat. Even when you adjust for era. 

Archived