Westworld (HBO)

cddolphin

26 minutes ago, PaulWall_23 said:

In the first season, there were two timelines. One in which he seemed to be experiencing the park for the first time/falling for Delores. One in which he was old, essentially living in the world trying to find the deeper meaning. 

Correct.

Now in this season, the uprising happens and William is left to play the real game (timeline makes sense). There is the other one however where he is with Delores in the real world. This would have to be after his initial Westworld experience in season one correct? 

Yep, I think you're referring to episode 2, those were (I believe) flashbacks to show how after his initial visit, William started to take control of Delos (convincing his father-in-law to invest in Westworld, at the party) and you see Dolores there in those scenes. So she would be privvy to all this extra info.

If that's the case we would have been exposed to five timelines? William's Westworld Intro, The Advancement of Delores in outside world, William Living in Westworld, Immediate after uprising, 12 days after uprising (which we seem to be less exposed to in last episode?). 

That sounds correct to me.

Also, my fiancé and I seemed to forget how all of the hosts have essentially been reprogrammed to rebel? 

We weren't told. It seems that Ford orchestrated Dolores' gaining consciousness through Bernard, but for the other hosts to be able to rebel, it's not clear what Ford did or why. He also had a script for Maeve we saw in the season finale but she rejected it and stayed on the island. How much of this is orchestrated by Ford and how much of it is a result of free choices by Dolores/Maeve/ the other hosts? I don't think we're supposed to know yet.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PaulWall_23 said:

If that's the case we would have been exposed to five timelines? William's Westworld Intro, The Advancement of Delores in outside world, William Living in Westworld, Immediate after uprising, 12 days after uprising (which we seem to be less exposed to in last episode?). 

The major timelines I can think off are:

- the pre-Westworld timeline that was shown in episode 2 (This was the one with Logan in the hotel and Dolores and Arnold looking at a city and his house)
- Young William & Logan in Westworld (most of S1)
- William's takeover of Westworld (mostly seen in ep 2 - him pitching to James Delos about using Westworld for "market research", the party where Dolores was playing the piano and met the drug taking Logan)
- MiB in the park looking for the maze (S1)
- immediately after massacre (Charlotte storyline, Maeve looking for her daughter, Dolores heading towards Glory/he valley, Grace in RajWorld, MiB "new game")
- approx 12 days after the massacre (Floki and the armed guys trying to clean up the mess)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, drd23 said:

The major timelines I can think off are:

- the pre-Westworld timeline that was shown in episode 2 (This was the one with Logan in the hotel and Dolores and Arnold looking at a city and his house)
- Young William & Logan in Westworld (most of S1)
- William's takeover of Westworld (mostly seen in ep 2 - him pitching to James Delos about using Westworld for "market research", the party where Dolores was playing the piano and met the drug taking Logan)
- MiB in the park looking for the maze 
- immediately after massacre (Charlotte storyline, Maeve looking for her daughter, Dolores heading towards Glory/he valley, Grace in RajWorld)
- approx 12 days after the massacre (Floki and the armed guys trying to clean up the mess)

I second this. In reading the asker's post, I tried to think of all the timelines and this is what I came up w/ as well. Assuming you watch Alt Shift X, you have the answers. Nothing gets by that dude and his buttery smooth voice

• Like 1

Thanks! Makes sense I totally forgot about the Logan hotel scenes being different then William's takeover.  I could see people totally blending those two. I haven't watched episode three yet. I'm hoping we start to get more answers then questions soon. I stopped watching The Leftovers around S3-S4 because I couldn't keep inventory on all of the unanswered questions/potential plot holes any longer. 

On 5/8/2018 at 11:00 AM, PaulWall_23 said:

. I stopped watching The Leftovers around S3-S4 because I couldn't keep inventory on all of the unanswered questions/potential plot holes any longer. 

The first season of The Leftovers?? Go back to it. Epic show and the second season was fantastic!! It had one of the few episodes of a show that left me speechless at the end like The Red Wedding. That show had some of the best dialogue in the history of TV especially at the end of season 1. So captivating. 

And this is assuming you meant EP3-EP4 b/c there was only 3 seasons lol.

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, JTagg7754 said:

Alt Shift X is my f'in hero.

Just watched the season 1 recap and the videos on all three episodes thus far this season. My first YT sub lol.

Seriously, if you're confused at all about this show, watch his videos. You will undoubtedly not be disappointed.

Hard agree, great reference @drd23 . I finally can confidently watch this show and its changed my appreciation for it. With the momentum building with Westworld and quest for Glory on multiple fronts, I hope they don't get to into this Maive/Shogun World story line. I'm not nearly as invested in that storyline. 

On 5/7/2018 at 11:55 AM, cddolphin said:

Yah surprised to see a downtick in interest online. I wonder how the #s are comparing to last season.

I really like Dolores last season, this season Dolores/Wyatt is even better.

I do think the mutliple timelines may be throwing people off, especially with Bernard, but I think it's a great plot device.. Bernard is in a sense operating "out of time", he's not real sure if the present moment he's experiencing is actually in the present or a memory. That uncertainty is extending a bit to the audience.

Anybody else getting the impression that hosts are being made to replace real people and are somehow passing the tests? We saw it in the first episode this season, Bernard passed a "scan" of some kind. I think the female executive (the black one) as well as the security officer (the white guy who was captured at the end of last season, but has re-appeared again so far without explanation) are both undercover hosts.

Despite the fact I think S2 has been really strong so far, there's no doubt that it's having trouble picking up steam - it's even losing viewership so far this season - https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/05/13/westworld-season-2-ratings-are-moving-in-the-wrong-direction/#48a650b62327

I think there are 3 reasons to explain the lack of buzz for S2:

1.  First, the long layoff.    2 years is a long time for today's instant-gratification society. 

2.   Second, the complexity of the storyline when combined with the 2-year layoff turns a fair number of people off.    Major props for the Alt Shift X link, that's a godsend - but anytime you need something like that, it's going to turn off many casual viewers.

3.   Finally, the early summer release puts it in competition with real-life events like end-of-school/graduation/prom, and blockbuster movie season.  

I've just caught up last night, and I'll be checking out Alt Shift X to see what I missed - I figured out the 6 timelines, but it's challenging to keep all the Host / guest storylines straight (I have to admit I forgot Peter Abernathy was Dolores' dad, until she called him that - that's pretty bad lol).   I love the show, but I get why it's hard for it to catch fire like other series have done.

Edited by Broncofan

I liked the introduction to Shoganworld. Is Maeve more strong than the Shoguns but not Westworld's? What is the new voice she's learning also? Ready to take on that entire army? Delores/Wyatt turning on Teddy? I'm guessing that was Wyatt and if Delores comes back to the forefront, maybe he'll be spared?? 

I enjoyed the episode and the way things are going. Still, just so many questions.