Westworld (HBO)

cddolphin

I get that Ford being in there required the ep to be later in the season.  But otherwise I would have preferred this ep happen earlier in the season.  Such a strong one-off character intro I suspect this would have retained viewership had this been a 2.3 type ep.  Frankly it’s one of the strongest eps this season if not the strongest.

As we only get 2 more eps to pursue the remainder of the season arc I doubt we see much more of this angle until S3...if there is a S3.  That’s a shame.  

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I get that Ford being in there required the ep to be later in the season.  But otherwise I would have preferred this ep happen earlier in the season.  Such a strong one-off character intro I suspect this would have retained viewership had this been a 2.3 type ep.  Frankly it’s one of the strongest eps this season if not the strongest.

As we only get 2 more eps to pursue the remainder of the season arc I doubt we see much more of this angle until S3...if there is a S3.  That’s a shame.  

Pretty much agree. Just caught up. Episode was great and I love the charm of a completely bottled episode about him but yea episode should have been earlier I watched this and the previous episode back-to-back and was ready to go after the insanity I had just witnessed. Sorta took me out of it a bit. It was a really great episode though but it was too close to the end maybe they could have cut it a little and gave it about 50-60% of the air time? But I could see how that would take something away. 

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It has already been renewed for season 3.

12 hours ago, sunnygsm said:

It has already been renewed for season 3.

They are treating this as their new GoT (its not) so Id imagine we are getting atleast 5 seasons of this. S4 & S5 could be complete garbage, and not part of the original story line at all, but Id bet we still get them regardless

I saw the big reveal for the reason behind the death of William's wife a mile away (that she finally saw who he truly was).   Very predictable IMO.    I also saw Teddy's decision as soon as he went against his directive to chase down the last Ghost Nation guy - once Dolores allowed him to keep his old memories, not being able to live with who he is now, and his inability to hurt Dolores, it only left one outcome.  

But other than those 2 points, I have to say that was a really enjoyable ep.   Love that Maeve was Ford's favorite host.   Love that he simply "opened a door" and let Maeve choose her fate now, just gave her the tools to escape on her own (rather than controlling Bernard up until now).   And I love the price William paid, did not see that last scene with his daughter coming at all.   Even though I saw Teddy's decision coming after he let the last Ghost Nation guy escape, it was about a powerful an exit writing-wise as they could have done, so full marks there.

Hopkins & Harris were awesome in this ep.    The writing was top-notch, especially on the comments made about the animals by Harris, on the hosts' loss of evolution by Marsden, and Ford's dialogue in general. 

I've been OK with Season 2 but not blown away...until the last 2 eps.  I still think the Ghost Nation ep would have been even stronger aired earlier (but I get they couldn't do it with Ford's presence being revealed too soon then), but the quality in the show the last 2 eps have been S1-level.    Glad to hear S3 has been renewed, I have more hope for the series, was worried they were falling into a rut, and worse, that they wouldn't get renewed, and leave us hanging.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jjab360 said:

If that scene with William's daughter was real, that's messed up lol. Not sure where they can really go with his character after that.

HBO really hates Father's Day.

Remember when they had Stannis burn Shireen in GoT a couple years ago?

18 hours ago, cddolphin said:

HBO really hates Father's Day.

Remember when they had Stannis burn Shireen in GoT a couple years ago?

Didn't know that was on Father's day haha. But yeah, his character was pretty much done after that as well.

That was wild. Did not expect the twist with Emily. MiB going insane. His wife's death and Teddy's weren't so shocking, but I feel the writing made them interesting and impactful. It'll be interesting to see how it affects Delores. 

I'm still not 100% sure that it was the real Emily. They didn't show her scan and she said that the Ballerina box had been lost. If she had the card, she would have known about her Mum keeping the box. Of course she could have just lied. 

So

- Delores and Bernard are free. Along with 4-5 other host minds. 

- Bernard gained consciousness. 

- Some host minds got uploaded into a virtual world that got beamed off somewhere. Teddy included.

- Maeve is probably back next season. 

- Stubbs might be a host. 

- MiB survives in the present day. 

- Some version of MiB is running fidelity tests in the future. Assuming that's a host version of his daughter or the system.

I don't think I enjoyed season 2 nearly as much (outside of the ghost Nation ep). It felt unnecessarily convoluted. Character progression was minimal (Delores) / drawn out (Maeve) or not so impactful. Felt like it tried a bit too hard.