More likely to happen mock

rampantjet

This mock is based around Cousins being lured to the bright lights of NY.  Not my first choice but a seemingly likely possibility.  

Cut:

Mo- Duh

Forte- It's time 

Ijalana- The insanity of his deal can't continue right?  

Carpenter- Not great last year, and doesn't fit our ZBS

Skrine- Up and down year, but he single handedly lost us a few games, save to much on his cap to not cut him.

Devin Smith- Refer to Mo's reason

After cuts we are at 101.1 Mill in cap space.

Resign:

Demario- Who knew?  Had a nice year, is still a bit limited but is also a great locker room guy. 6 mill per 

Enunwa- We use a 2nd round tender on him.  Love how this dude plays, totally worth taking the shot that he is healthy.  2.9 Mill

Eric Tomlinson- Good blocker, not the worst receiver ever 630k

Mo Claiborne- Played ok, still got injured though so can be had on another prove it deal 7.5 Mill 

FA:

Kirk CousinsQB- I am not a fan of signing Cousins, but it certain stands a chance of happening.  Even though I don't love it he would still be our best QB in.... well maybe my lifetime.  Not a high bar but still he gives us a chance to be a legit playoff contender if we nail the rest of the postseason.  He is a guy we have to surround with talent though, so we do what we can for him by building up the O Line a bit. 30 Mill per

Ryan Jensen C- Only 26, solid all around player.  Plugs our massive Wesley Johnson sized hole at C.      9 Mill per

EJ Gaines CB- Younger than Trumaine Johnson, and honestly might be better right now.  Gives us a solid CB duo with Claiborne.  11 Mill per

Andrew Norwell OG- Between him and Jensen our O line gets a huge boost.  Hopefully Winters can get healthy and not be terrible, and Shell can improve.  

After all of the signings we are left with 26.7 Mill left for the draft class and in season moves.

Draft:

1. Browns- Sam Darnold QB: Browns aim to ruin another promising young player.

2. NYG- Josh Rosen QB: Hard to pass on him after old man Eli's last year.

3. Colts- Bradley Chubb Edge: They at some point have to make contact with an opposing QB

4. Bills *trade up*- Baker Mayfield QB: Bills trade ahead of the Bronco's to get their guy.

5. Broncos- Josh Allen QB:  Elway takes a guy with something like his physical ability.  Lets see if he can actually help teach him put it together like Elway.

We don't need a QB so we are willing to trade back and gather some extra picks to build our team around Cousins.  SF gets #6, we get #9 #59 and #124

6.SF *trades up*- Saquon Barkley RB:  Lynch is a mover and a shaker, and has paid the big bucks for Jimmy G, now he has to give him a weapon that he can count on in the passing game, oddly enough that weapon is a RB.

7. TB- Quenton Nelson: It hurt me to pass on this beast but we addressed the position in FA, and TB needs help in both trenches, they get it here.

8. Chicago- Calvin Ridley: Teams try to avoid drafting on need, but man this is a huge need, and still a very good player.  If they want Mitchell (not Mitch) to succeed they need to give him someone.... anyone to throw too.

9. Jets- Trumaine Edwards LB/Defensive Weapon:  Ok i know i said above that we have to get Cousins all the help we can get, but this kid is to good to pass up.  And having a good defense ends up helping the QB in the long run.  I honestly think this kid could end up as the best player in this entire draft.  He played mostly on the inside in college, but really seems to be able to do it all.  It says it right in his position description, this kid is a weapon who can be deployed everywhere.  Drop him back in coverage and you won't see us getting burned on wheel routes ever again, some reports of high 4.4's in the 40 at 6'5 250.  He closes on RB's like a maniac.  He didn't get much of a chance to rush from the edge but showed real burst and bend when he did.  He is also a fantastic blitzer up the middle.  Oh and he is only 19... move him all over the place and force teams to change what they are doing every play.

37. Jets- Hayden Hurst TE:   Kid reminds me of an angry Travis Kelce.  Cousins has always liked his TE's he gets a good one here.  6'5 250lbs has been timed in the low 4.6's has broad jumped 10'1 and has some insane weight room numbers.... oh and unlike ASJ has some insane soft hands.  Home run pick

49. Jets- Mike Hughes CB:  We are serious about getting our secondary in order.  With Claiborne, and Gaines already out there we need some talent in the slot.  

59. Jets- Equanimeous St. Brown WR:  6'5 WR's are rarely this smooth, but he is a gifted athlete at 6'5 with nice hands.  Add in that he is very intelligent and a hard worker and you have a future weapon.  We add 2 6'5' targets who can both run.  ND had a rough passing offense this year which accounts for his unimpressive numbers, but this kid has the goods.

70. Jets- Rashaad Penny RB:  My favorite RB in the class.  The best vision.  Made more people miss than anyone in college last year.  Has enough speed to break the big runs.  Has to work on his receiving skills a bit but has showed some flashes.  Needs work on pass blocking but very few rookies don't.  Gives us a 2 down back right away with Powell and McGuire handling 3rd downs while he works on his pass blocking.

102. Jets- Nathan Shepard  DT/DE:  Out of football powerhouse Fort Hays State this kid was impressing big time at the Senior Bowl before he broke his hand.  He has the ability to do it all, but falls due to level of competition.  We need some more talent on the D line after cutting Mo, so we take this kid and hope he develops.  As high of a ceiling as anyone really.

124. Jets- Alex Cappa OT:  Big, 6'6 300lbs with a frame that apparently can hold about another 15lbs or so.  Good movement skills, but played at Humbold St.  Has the potential and requisite movement skills to play LT if he develops.  Take him here and give him time on the bench to make some strides and get in an NFL weight room.  Also plays with some anger which i love.

148. Jets- Mike White QB:  Kid looked great in the senior bowl.  Falls this far due to the sheer number of higher rated QB's.  Not even sold on Hack as a viable back up QB.  This kid sees the bench for at least 3 years and gets more than enough time to develop.  If Cousins starts to falter after his guaranteed money and this kid shows the goods we can make the change.

Could be a pretty good team.  New QB, Rebuilt O line, a fair amount of secondary help, and 3 nice new offensive weapons.  Not to mention a Trumaine "the lab experiment" Edmunds.

12 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

This mock isn't at all what I think is GOING to happen, but I wouldn't hate it if it did happen. 

First Cousins signs with the Broncos.  I think Elway makes the cap space and woo's his new QB with a strong D and some nice WR's,

Cut:

Mo- Duh

Forte- It's time 

Ijalana- The insanity of his deal can't continue right?  

Carpenter- Not great last year, and doesn't fit our ZBS

Skrine- Up and down year, but he single handedly lost us a few games, save to much on his cap to not cut him.

Devin Smith- Refer to Mo's reason

After cuts we are at 101.1 Mill in cap space.

Resign:

Demario- Who knew?  Had a nice year, is still a bit limited but is also a great locker room guy. 6 mill per 

Enunwa- We use a 2nd round tender on him.  2.9 Mill

Eric Tomlinson- Good blocker, not the worst receiver ever 750k

Mo Claiborne- Played ok, still got injured though so can be had on another prove it deal 7.5 Mill 

FA:

Teddy Bridgewater QB- We "miss out" on Cousins and instead get a bit of a gamble here.  Coming off of a major knee injury, but has had almost a full 2 seasons off to heal up.  Still only 25 years old when next season starts.  Had an 11-5 record in the last season that he played.  The rare time you can sign a young guy without breaking the bank is generally due to injury concerns.  10 Mill per, can get out after 2 years.  He is also a QB we can sign without it stopping us from take one in the draft.

Ryan Jensen C- Only 26, solid all around player.  Plugs our massive Wesley Johnson sized hole at C.      9 Mill per

EJ Gaines CB- Younger than Trumaine Johnson, and honestly might be better right now.  Gives us a solid CB duo with Claiborne.  11 Mill per

Jarvis Landry WR-  Not a deep threat, but is a bad bad man for a WR.  Gonna catch a ton of balls and make the QB's life easier.  Plays with fire and has good run after catch ability.  13 Mill per.

After resignings and FA's we are left with 43.8 Mill left in space for the draft, in season moves, and future years.  I don't think Macc is going to wanna go fully all in on the cap after the way it worked out last time.  Nice to have some wiggle room left over.

Draft:

1. Browns- Baker Mayfield QB: Scott McCloughan in the mix with the Browns now as a consultant has Baker as his #1 guy.  As silly as it sounds i think is sheer confidence is what the Browns become attracted to.  They rightfully assume none of the other QB's want to go there.  

2. NYG- Josh Rosen QB: Hard to pass on him after old man Eli's last year.

3. Colts- Bradley Chubb Edge: They at some point have to make contact with an opposing QB

4. Browns- Saquon Barkley RB: The smart thing for them to do here might be to trade back.  They are the Browns so they take the flashy RB.  

5. Bills *TRADE*-  The Bills trade up to take Sam Darnold who they can't believe is still there.  They have the ammo to make the move so they don't hesitate. 

6. Cardinals *TRADE*- We trade back with the Cardinals who take Josh Allen.  Macc doesn't want to make the same mistake again by just drafting traits with a low completion %.  We have Teddy already so aren't in as much of a bind.  We get pick #15, #47, and #79...........................

15. Jets- Lamar Jackson QB:  The teams in dire need of a QB either traded up or signed one.  We sit tight at 15 and the most exciting player in the draft falls into our lap.  I think he is closer to being ready than some do, but even if he is not he can sit behind Teddy for a year or 2, and then emerge to destroy the world after the Pats finally crumble into history.

37. Jets- Will Hernandez OG: Dude is a monster and plays with a neck roll.  Is an absolute powerhouse but i think he also has the feet to play in a ZBS.

47. from the Cards.... Jets-  Dallas Goedert TE:  ASJ was a disappointment by just about every metric this year.  He can't separate, has rubbish hands, and can't block all that well.  If our TE 1 can't block I want him to be a great receiver and be young enough to potentially learn to block.

49. Jets- Mike Hughes CB:  We are serious about getting our secondary in order.  With Claiborne, and Gaines already out there we need some talent in the slot.  

72. Jets- Kemoko Turay EDGE:  Super raw right now, but is going to raise up draft boards after he lights the combine on fire.  Has a ton of bend, and won a bunch of match ups at the senior bowl.  Let Kevin Greene coach this kid up and send him at the QB.

79. from the Cards..... Jets- Rashaad Penny RB:  I love this guy, but the "experts" don't seem to be as high on him.  Many mocks have him in the 4th, but i think he lead college in rushing for a reason.  He has the best vision in the draft, and finds ways through tiny holes.  I think he can become a competent receiver out of the backfield. and he runs with good power.

That's all i have for now.  Not into the later rounds yet, just having some fun and trying to learn this class a bit better.  

Once again this isn't gonna happen but have some fun below.

To dangers to make to make the drafts moves you want, I want no part of that.

39 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

lol why bother then?

For fun.  Making these is how i find the guys that i like and don't like in the draft.  Pretty rare that someone makes the "exactly what ends up happening mock". 

As far as it being to dangerous, I'm not real sure what that means, but if you mean trading back and hoping Lamar is there I get it, but the trade back isn't made with him in mind.  If he was gone there we take the BPA and address a developmental QB later.  I happen to think there is a very good chance of Lamar being there though. 

Not as bad as I thought once reading the thread title. I feel like if you don't really think this is what will happen, there's no big reason to criticize it. But what I will say id that your justification on why Cousins chooses Denver is only 1/2 way true. Denver will have to cut 1 of Sanders or Thomas to make room for Cousins. So the "WR weapons" they have wont be the same ones as last year. Overall though it's not that bad.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Not as bad as I thought once reading the thread title. I feel like if you don't really think this is what will happen, there's no big reason to criticize it. But what I will say id that your justification on why Cousins chooses Denver is only 1/2 way true. Denver will have to cut 1 of Sanders or Thomas to make room for Cousins. So the "WR weapons" they have wont be the same ones as last year. Overall though it's not that bad.

For sure, I think they cut Sanders, but then i can see them trading back a few spots and maybe picking up Calvin Ridley.  At least that is what I would do.

Although I like Landry as a player I don’t know he’s what the jets need in a WR. He hasn’t played outside in his career and we need someone to work opposite Anderson with Enunwa working the middle. If we did use FA to address receiver I’d prefer going the Allen Robinson route.

52 minutes ago, Cory Longville said:

Although I like Landry as a player I don’t know he’s what the jets need in a WR. He hasn’t played outside in his career and we need someone to work opposite Anderson with Enunwa working the middle. If we did use FA to address receiver I’d prefer going the Allen Robinson route.

Robinson is very unlikely to hit FA. He’s rumored very strongly to stay in Jacksonville. Landry will be the best WR available no doubt. But Bates might not really care about who’s where. He just might want talent. Why not put Enunwa and Landry in the slots with Anderson and Kearse or Hanson on the outside for example? We also have no clue as to Enunwas health. I’m sure the training staff will do an extensive look into him before FA to see if he can be relied on. And any hit he takes going forward is a risk and could be career ending. And Robby is Robby and who knows what trouble and such he might still get into. We are far from set at WR like some think.

Like this, Jackson is worth the risk I feel as long as we give him a year. Like the free agents you got but I would want to add another Edge rusher in free agency or draft. Not a Big Kemoko fan would rather go with Chad Thomas out of Miami.

57 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't like Lamar Jackson at all. HE IS NOT A NFL QB. If you put Mason Rudolph in there instead of Jackson I would like it a lot better. 

Lol what? Mason Rudolph is trash, he's just a big arm in a Air Raid offense.

6 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't like Lamar Jackson at all. HE IS NOT A NFL QB. If you put Mason Rudolph in there instead of Jackson I would like it a lot better. 

I would go so far as to say that Lamar will be a better pocket passer in the NFL than Rudolph.  Even though Lamar didn't run an NFL level offense it was still far more complex than what Rudolph was running.  He has a bigger arm than Rudolph too, Rudolph throws a nice deep ball but that has less to do with power than a frozen rope to the sidelines does.  

5 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Like this, Jackson is worth the risk I feel as long as we give him a year. Like the free agents you got but I would want to add another Edge rusher in free agency or draft. Not a Big Kemoko fan would rather go with Chad Thomas out of Miami.

Ya I was on the fence with Kemoko.  I think if i did this one again I would swap in Dorence Armstrong for him.  Which FA edge rusher would you go after?  I think Lawrence stays in Dallas.  Ansah is kind of intriguing but his age situation scares me a bit.... guy could be 38 not 28 for all we know.  Not a deep well at edge in FA this year.

Archived