Should He Stay Or Should He Go: J. Looney

Texas_OutLaw7

WHAT DO WE DO WITH THIS FA?   

5 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT DO WE DO WITH THIS FA?

• Sign him to a short 2-5 year deal, medium to top BACK-UP money.
    • Let him walk, get no comp pick.
    • Tag him (LOL).
    • Other.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/08/2018 at 06:28 AM

Historically speaking, Dallas retains less than half of all FA's. So who would you end up keeping? We will end up voting on all of them.

• Alfred Morris, RB - Not re-signed.
  • Keith Smith, FB (RFA)
  • Brice Butler, WR
  • Joe Looney, G
  • Jonathan Cooper, G
  • Byron Bell, RT
  • L.P. Ladouceur, LS
  • Stephen Paea, DT
  • David Irving, DT (RFA)
  • DeMarcus Lawrence, DE - Signed long term deal.
  • Anthony Hitchens, ILB
  • Kyle Wilber, OLB
  • Bene Benwikere, CB

This list won't include anyone who is a ERFA.

What should we do with: Joe Looney, G

This one is a little more challenging. I think we keep one of Cooper or Looney, not both. I imagine Looney would be the more affordable of the two. And while he may follow Frank to Cincy to compete for a starting job, I think if he were offered decent back-up money he would stay for stability.

Any word on Coopers injury? He went down week 17, and it looked bad. Obviously not big news because the season was over right after, but it didn't look like Cooper was good to go if the season went on. And his injury history is quite extensive. 

I don't want Chaz Green on the team, and I'm pretty iffy on Byron Bell. He didn't do much better in the Falcons game. But I don't think letting all of Bell, Green, Cooper, and Looney go is a good Idea.

At this point Jumbo Joe Looney is the only one without a recent embarrassing performance, and healthy enough to play a game today. Plus he plays Center and Guard. 

Here's more on this most recent Cooper injury acquired week 17 against the eagles:

Cooper (knee) will likely need four-to-five months of recovery, Mickey Spagnola of the Cowboys' official site reports.

Cooper, who will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the league year, recently underwent surgery to repair the MCL in his left knee and it was previously reported that he'd be healthy in time for when teams usually start OTAs (typically late April). However, it now seems he's more likely looking at a return date in June.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/cowboys-jonathan-cooper-facing-4-to-5-months-of-rehab/

This is a tough one.  Having him as the stalwart back-up for the 3 interior O-line positions, in which we haven't had to call his number except for late in the season to rest guys, gave us confidence us of that interior line's integrity that we hadn't had in years (although Costas was such a comforting  player..I kid!).

Maybe next year, god forbid, Frederick or a guard go down, but for right now,  swing tackle and starting left guard are the top two O-line needs.  Looney is neither of them.  Now, that's not to say that Cooper can't be the starting LG, but he might demand a 3 year $5-7m APY for that position. Looney would probably sign for half that APY on a 2-year deal.   Once again, tough cookie.  

What I would do:-

- Let Looney walk (are we sure there's no comp pick involved? Could squeak into a 6th if his agent is good and a desperate team is afoot..)

- Sign Cooper

- Draft an OG in the VERY early rounds (Wynn, Hernandez in late first for example) and an OT in the middle rds.  Let Cooper and the rookie OG battle for LG and the loser spends his time learning duties at center for 2018 and they repeat that battle in 2019.  The rookie OT and Chaz battle for the swing tackle spot.  Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES do we screw around with Chaz's head by spending the whole training camp trying to convert him to guard. That was a really, really dumb idea. I understand that you want "Your best 5 lineman on the field" but it was another "Byron Jones" debacle.

The swing tackle situation is a very dire one for us.  Not that plugging up the guard position is instant-presto, but, IMO, it's more achievable to plug in an 'okay' guard between two pro-bowlers than an 'okay' OT holding it down against ruthless pass-rushers.  If Chaz could go back to his 2016 form (barring injuries), I'd feel a lot better about it, but you know...Chaz is gonna Chaz..

4 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

(are we sure there's no comp pick involved? Could squeak into a 6th if his agent is good and a desperate team is afoot..)

I don't envision any team signing him for starter money. I expect Cooper to make more than Looney, but as @DaBoys pointed out the injury is a risk. So who knows. But for the purposes of this exercise imagine that Looney being on his 4th team in seven years doesn't bode well for a decent return. 

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I don't envision any team signing him for starter money. I expect Cooper to make more than Looney, but as @DaBoys pointed out the injury is a risk. So who knows. But for the purposes of this exercise imagine that Looney being on his 4th team in seven years doesn't bode well for a decent return. 

I'm just staying optimistic, man. He doesn't have to get starting O-line money to fetch a 6-7th. Shoot..starting O-line money is almost guaranteed a 4th. It'll take a perfect storm, but if a team values his flexibility/he's represented by a good agent/he gets a $3-4m APY/sees significant playing time during 2018 (injuries happen)...that's likely a comp pick.

4 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I expect Cooper to make more than Looney, but as @DaBoys pointed out the injury is a risk. 

Yeah, Cooper won't even be able to work out for a new team/pass a physical until June. I doubt he'll be a hot commodity in March. His injury history(That he is adding to), and the fact that he was cut by the Cleveland Browns, make me think Dallas was his last chance. He has never played a 16 game season and was only able to finish 12 for us. I don't see any reason we can't keep both for cheap, and if I were Coop, I'd want to stay.

Archived