Josh McDaniels Decides to Stay with New England

WeaponX

5 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

It's sad there's no way to report posts on here. If you're not going to contribute to the discussion at all, why even post?

I provide plenty of real football analysis in real football threads. This thread is just a platform for people to vent on something Patriots-related. I've had a poster in this thread call me a douchebag and a dip****, who didn't get a warning (at least not like I did). And that was for a post where I basically said that I don't care that Irsay and the Colts got screwed, because he's a bad person running a bad organization. As if that was some out-of-line comment compared to the moral high horse spewing going on here.

cddolphin and H2Z are notorious Patriots haters and/or trolls, so I'm just laughing at their unsurprising ridiculousness.

Feel free to report me saying "lol" though.    :rolls_eyes:

Edited by childofpudding

6 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

cddolphin and H2Z are notorious Patriots haters and/or trolls, so I'm just laughing at their unsurprising ridiculousness.

If you think my opinion is ridiculous, feel free to attack the opinion itself. You disagree? You think McDaniels acted morally? You think just because people are signing contracts in the millions they get a pass to be complete jack arses to men they've worked with for years, throwing a wrench in their professional and personal lives so you can go from a 97th percentile earner to a 97.6 percentile?

I wonder how many owners are cool with how all this went down as you seem to be. McDaniels should sincerely hope he has massive success in NE for the rest of his career.

Edited by cddolphin
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Be that as it may, it doesn't really mean what they're saying in this instance doesn't hold merit, especially:

Taking a better offer before you sign your contract is a reasonable thing to do.

Misleading three other coaches, letting them sign contracts, making them move their families to Indy for what will likely be just one year (I'm sure the new HC will want his own guys sooner rather than later), not informing Indy you weren't taking the job after all, letting them announce the hiring.. this isn't a mid-level manager at Best Buy. You are 1 of 32 qualified individuals, and you waited until all the other positions had been filled before backing out like a puss.

Anybody defending this guy is either 1) biased or 2) an immoral person

I think all of what is said here is completely reasonable and true. The guy just absolutely left a handful of assistant coaches and their families out to dry. That's not acceptable no matter the job, no matter the organization.

Just now, WizardHawk said:

If this actually comes to fruition, Indy can be thankful. McDickials actually did them a favor.

That could be true. I think McDaniels is a great OC for the Patriots, but who knows how he'd be in his second stint as a HC. He obviously failed miserably in his first try.

Just now, childofpudding said:

That could be true. I think McDaniels is a great OC for the Patriots, but who knows how he'd be in his second stint as a HC. He obviously failed miserably in his first try.

In the long run yes I think Indy will benefit not hiring McDaniels. It's going to be hard to lure a coach who is locked into certain assistants now, however, especially since they'll be scraping the barrel for candidates.

Jim Schwartz would be a good idea imo

They should've had hired Patricia, I can't believe they didn't even interview him.

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

If you think my opinion is ridiculous, feel free to attack the opinion itself. You disagree? You think McDaniels acted morally? You think just because people are signing contracts in the millions they get a pass to be complete jack arses to men they've worked with for years, throwing a wrench in their professional and personal lives so you can go from a 97th percentile earner to a 97.6 percentile?

I wonder how many owners are cool with how all this went down as you seem to be. McDaniels should sincerely hope he has massive success in NE for the rest of his career.

I already gave my opinion earlier. McDaniels' move might have been a little slimy, but it's not out of the realm of possibility in any business (not just Best Buy like you sarcastically said). And I don't care that a horrible organization run by a horrible owner had something bad happen to them.

It's not really worth discussing it with you because you'll turn just about every Patriots story into something to hate about them.

7 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Be that as it may, it doesn't really mean what they're saying in this instance doesn't hold merit, especially:

I think all of what is said here is completely reasonable and true. The guy just absolutely left a handful of assistant coaches and their families out to dry. That's not acceptable no matter the job, no matter the organization.

Whatever. Again, the moral high horse. Organizations do that to players under contract in that same exact fashion in the blink of an eye if they think it's the best thing for the organization. A player gets traded mid-season and has to uproot his family and move to another city, transferring his kids to another school, in the middle of the school year. It happens every single week in the NFL. Get over it.

inb4 but that's different!!!!!

Edited by childofpudding

1 minute ago, childofpudding said:

Whatever. Again, the moral high horse. Organizations screw over players under contract in that same exact fashion in the blink of an eye if they think it's the best thing for the organization. It happens every single week in the NFL. Get over it.

Comparing coaches to players when convenient doesn't hold up. It's two different 'markets' so to speak with completely different hiring and firing practices. Not to mention you're hiring essentially the head of an entire staff. No matter how much a player makes or how much a practice squad guy is treated like chattel they don't have the same type of impact. Period.

That being established. How often does something like this happen? Last time it involved a coach even douchier, regardless of his acumen, and a lawsuit was involved.

4 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Whatever. Again, the moral high horse. Organizations do that to players under contract in that same exact fashion in the blink of an eye if they think it's the best thing for the organization. A player gets traded mid-season and has to uproot his family and move to another city, transferring his kids to another school, in the middle of the school year. It happens every single week in the NFL. Get over it.

inb4 but that's different!!!!!

There's really no way you can make this into a comparison about NFL teams signing/cutting players at will. If you tried, it would have to be in the perspective of the player, who just gave a verbal agreement to a team that he'd sign there, and the team agreed to bring in that player and 3 of his teammates from the previous organization.

Those teammates all move there and sign their contracts, only to have the original player then back out of the deal. Except this player was going to be their franchise QB and by this time all the other franchise QB's on the market have been signed, and the other players were the WR's and RB he specifically wanted in his scheme for his plays. The more I try to go down this trail, the more I realize it doesn't work because there's no way to compare a head coach backing out of a verbal agreement after months of negotiation and communication with an organization, and after several assistant coaches had already moved and signed contracts expecting him to be the head coach - to a player getting cut shortly after signing with a team. It's a very lazy comparison, IMO.

But, regardless, this was probably better off for the Colts anyways. McDaniels established this reputation in Denver, and he's done nothing to change it.

2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Comparing coaches to players when convenient doesn't hold up. It's two different 'markets' so to speak with completely different hiring and firing practices. Not to mention you're hiring essentially the head of an entire staff. No matter how much a player makes or how much a practice squad guy is treated like chattel they don't have the same type of impact. Period.

That being established. How often does something like this happen? Last time it involved a coach even douchier, regardless of his acumen, and a lawsuit was involved.

It's a perfectly reasonable comparison considering the faux outrage going on here about assistant coaches needing to "uproot their families."

McDaniels did leave the Colts up a creek without a paddle. However, and it's a big however, this whole discussion is built on the idea that the Colts who were not allowed (per the NFL rules) to have an agreement with Josh McDaniels before the Super Bowl in fact having a verbal agreement before the Super Bowl and making hires based off the wishes of a guy they should not have had an agreement with and did not have a contract with. So while it sucks and the Colts are very sympathetic here, they are not blameless in their predicament. 

They knew they were negotiating with a guy whose current employer was in the middle of a playoff run and probably wouldn't put their best foot forward to negotiate back until after that ended (the reason why the rule is in place). In fact we know McDaniels expressed hesitations to them and that was the basis for the second meeting. So literally a day after the smoke cleared his employer comes back with a better offer and he takes it before his agreement with the Colts is formalized. 

It's tough. Josh doesn't look good. But the Colts were already kind of making hires based off an agreement that was kind of under the table in the first place and new their were reservations on his end. 

6 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Not really. If Luck doesn't return at full health, Josh has a bad year in Indy like any coach would, and someone like Saban says he's interviewing for NFL teams. You think there is any chance the Colts don't drop McDaniels like a bad habit if they could lock him up? 

Josh sucked on the Brocnos, but the Broncos didn't even give him two full years.