Josh McDaniels Decides to Stay with New England

WeaponX

27 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

OK, let's back this up.  My issue with McDaniels is he agrees to go to IND, then recruits assistants to leave.   Then for whatever reason / sequence, he backs out.  Knowing that he's brought ppl to come to IND to work for him.   And then backs out anyways, and doesn't bother to tell anyone, even to the point where IND has a presser lined up.  None of his coaches he's recruited know.   THAT's the premeditation part - not that he was going to never take the job ever, but everything he did was me-first and me-only - knowing the fallout it would create, and not caring enough to even do anything but look out for himself.  Cold feet is justifiable - but he handled in the most selfish, don't-care-who-else-gets-burned way possible.   

Big deal, you say.  I say very big deal.  We can agree to disagree, but so there's no confusion, that's the premeditation angle.  And judging by the public reaction, outside of NE, it's what others see too.

He verbally agreed to a job and got a counter offer from his current employer that made him change his mind at the last minutes. Happens every day in the corporate world. That parts not a big deal.

Okay he didn’t call assistants. Actually no, that’s disputed, multiple reports came out clarifying that he did call the assistants. IMO this is the most valid point you have and it’s likley not even true.,

Either way they got a pay raise for a year and that was never in question. So the only two things that could have happened to them is they went to Indy under a different HC and got paid OR Indy buys out their contract and they got paid. Considering they all got promotions they are probably making more now than they ever did. 

So yeah again, there’s a lot of misinformation and embellishment to make McDaniels look terrible

Edited by lancerman

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

He verbally agreed to a job and got a counter offer from his current employer that made him change his mind at the last minutes. Happens every day in the corporate world. That parts not a big deal.

Okay he didn’t call assistants. Actually no, that’s disputed, multiple reports came out clarifying that he did call the assistants. IMO this is the most valid point you have and it’s likley not even true.,

Either way they got a pay raise for a year and that was never in question. So the only two things that could have happened to them is they went to Indy under a different HC and got paid OR Indy buys out their contract and they got paid. Considering they all got promotions they are probably making more now than they ever did. 

So yeah again, there’s a lot of misinformation and embellishment to make McDaniels look terrible

We'll simply agree to disagree.  I'll concede the agent's decision had to happen with Ballard being there, and that he's the worst non-criminal/DV guy (but can't reach that level) in football, those are entirely fair points.  But he's still left with past known arrogance, now combined with selfishness and cowardice that clearly put him in elite territory in that regard.   We don't have to agree.  ¬¬

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

We'll simply agree to disagree.  I'll concede the agent's decision had to happen with Ballard being there, and that he's the worst non-criminal/DV guy (but can't reach that level) in football, those are entirely fair points.  But he's still left with past known arrogance, now combined with selfishness and cowardice that clearly put him in elite territory in that regard.   We don't have to agree.  ¬¬

How can you say he’s one of the worst people in football when you don’t even know if he called them or not. Multiple sources said he did. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/02/07/josh-mcdaniels-reach-out-his-assistants-before-backing-out-colts-coach/314509002/

We don’t have to agree but you probably should have your facts right if you are going to call someone one of the worst people in an industry. I mean even if everything you said was true (at least 3 weren’t and a 4th is likely untrue) that’s an very high condemnation for someone who backed out of a job.  

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

How can you say he’s one of the worst people in football when you don’t even know if he called them or not. Multiple sources said he did. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/02/07/josh-mcdaniels-reach-out-his-assistants-before-backing-out-colts-coach/314509002/

We don’t have to agree but you probably should have your facts right if you are going to call someone one of the worst people in an industry. I mean even if everything you said was true (at least 3 weren’t and a 4th is likely untrue) that’s an very high condemnation for someone who backed out of a job.  

You read that he did, I read that he didn't from the same source.   Let's just agree to disagree there and leave it at that.   We're probably not going to convince each other, I've heard the points, and I think you'd see I'm willing to revise my opinion accordingly.   But the fundamental premise sticks given what we still know; it's just the degree now - I'm willing to see he's above the criminals/DV guys in the league.   Progress?

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You read that he did, I read that he didn't from the same source.   Let's just agree to disagree there and leave it at that.   We're probably not going to convince each other, I've heard the points, and I think you'd see I'm willing to revise my opinion accordingly.   But the fundamental premise sticks given what we still know; it's just the degree now - I'm willing to see he's above the criminals/DV guys in the league.   Progress?

It’s not agree to disagree when the facts are disputed and one of us is making bold proclamations about morality of someone. 

No. You said the fundamental premise sticks based off what we know. Well let’s see what we know. 

1. The biggest argument you made was that he didn’t call the coaches. That’s a disputed fact that you don’t actually know and most of the reports come off as corrections that he did call them. So on this one you don’t know anything besides that it is in question. 

2. You tried to imply the Colts saved the coaches by keeping them. Coaching contracts in the NFL are guaranteed. They were safe for s year no matter what. So that was wrong. 

3. The whole Agent thing which you ended up agreeing with me on. 

4. That it was premeditated. Every single report says it was a last minute decision and that McDaniels was dragged into a meeting as he was cleaning out his desk. You yourself describe it as “cold feet”. I suggest you look up the definition of premeditated. Because that is quite literally the opposite of it. 

When the facts are these there is nothing to “agree to disagree” to. 

If you said “Josh at the very last minute got a counter offer by his team and got cold feet and decided to to rescind his verbal agreement in non premeditated way and it’s in dispute over whether he told his assistants who were already set up for a year either way and as a result of a conflict of interests between himself and the Colts GM he lost his agent and as a result I think he’s the worst person in football” then we’d have an actual honest baseline to agree to disagree because the facts would be established. But you’re saying “agree to disagree” on basic facts. So it’s not even a legitimate disagreement. 

I’m willing to agree to disagree on opinions. However I’m not doing that on basic facts. 

Edited by lancerman

22 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Long needed rule change that will forever be known as the McDaniels rule.   Or maybe “never again” lol.   Either way glad it’s being addressed it was a stupid rule  

This tweet is bizarre. Why wouldn't the sports media report on a coach leaving to coach another team???? The media isn't "taking focus."

1 minute ago, Malik said:

This tweet is bizarre. Why wouldn't the sports media report on a coach leaving to coach another team???? The media isn't "taking focus."

I think what he’s saying is that what used to happen behind closed doors about who is going where to get hired after the playoffs are down is now in the public eye.   At least that’s the only explanation that makes sense lol. 

Edited by Broncofan

• 3 years later...

This was a fun thread. So many footballs for so much wrong. 😎

On 2/7/2018 at 2:47 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

McDaniels' career in the NFL is tied to the Patriots. Once that's done, he's done in the NFL.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:07 PM, Packerraymond said:

No team is going to touch him other than NE.

On 2/7/2018 at 7:25 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

Kudos to BB and Kraft on convincing him to commit career suicide bc now he is dead to everyone else in the NFL but the patriots.

On 2/8/2018 at 8:46 AM, TheKillerNacho said:

But this basically kills the possibility of him head coaching for anyone else

On 2/8/2018 at 12:08 AM, FloydFan said:

I sure hope he got a guarantee for post B.B. Patriots, because he is royally screwed otherwise. 

On 2/10/2018 at 3:32 AM, KManX89 said:

xD Dude, he's dead to every team but NE after this move, accept it. No GM wants a con artist who presents a real risk of backing out on them and stabbing them in the back like he did Indy. 

On 2/6/2018 at 8:18 PM, WeaponX said:

Literally no one will interview Josh McDaniels for a head coaching job ever again besides for maybe the Patriots if they did in fact promise him the job after Bill retires.

On 2/6/2018 at 8:13 PM, kramxel said:

Guy was already burned after Denver, and just obliterated any chance of getting another HC interview.

On 2/6/2018 at 8:09 PM, wwhickok said:

I don't think he ever gets another HC opportunity outside of NE after that.

On 2/6/2018 at 7:44 PM, titans0021 said:

the guy is never getting another HC interview from another NFL team ever again.         

26 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

This was a fun thread. So many footballs for so much wrong. 😎

1)  Kinda petty to bump a 4 year old thread just to dig on people.

2)  McDaniels was extremely young when he first got hired.   Enough time has passed that some may believe that he has matured and grown as a coach. over the last 12 years

3) OR...The Raiders MIGHT be the only team that WOULD hire him again.    I wouldn't be shocked if the Raiders hired Matt Millen and Bobby Petrino.

• Like 7