aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

14 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Well, if I pass my psychological and stress test, I'll be joining the police in December. What a journey so far!

You should have no trouble passing, seeing how VD has been preparing you for this for years lol!  Good luck!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, perrynoid said:

You should have no trouble passing, seeing how VD has been preparing you for this for years lol!  Good luck!

Haha, for what it's worth, I've already passed this same test before, when I went for my act 235. I just didn't get that clearance because of my vision.  So, 3 months later, I get eye surgery and here I am going for act 120! 

Thank you though. I greatly appreciate it. I appreciate all of you! :D

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm going to be traveling for an extended period in Europe. I'm thinking about trying Project Fi by Google for cellular service. Anyone have any experience with it?

I used Project Fi in July and August while visiting Norway, Denmark, Germany, and Poland successfully. No experience with it anywhere else in Europe but I suspect it will work anywhere in western Europe at least.

Late Add:

I should clarify that I never used the phone service but only data while I was there. In theory, the phone service works as well. When you move from one country to another it pops up notifying you of cost for phone and data. All the countries I visited the data was $10 per GB just like the US. Since I wasn't planning on using the phone I didn't pay attention to those prices but there was some variability there iirc depending on whether calling a land line or mobile number.

Edited by Cearbhall
Late add

Sorry in advance, but when I see this thread title, I start thinking of the Asia song from their 1982 debut album titled "Soul Survivor".  So, in Steve's honor, I will re-write the appropriate lyrics...

(verse 1) When I sit to type my post, figure Vike Daddy will just make it toast

I was lucky, I was alive, one misprint, and I could have died

(chorus) I am the sole steve-vivor, sole Steve-vivor,

soul steve-vivor, draw Vike Daddy's ire

(verse 2) When I saw it, I was amazed, my best post right in my gaze

I saw the sorrow, I saw the joy, a post that Vike daddy, could not destroy

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I used Project Fi in July and August while visiting Norway, Denmark, Germany, and Poland successfully. No experience with it anywhere else in Europe but I suspect it will work anywhere in western Europe at least.

Late Add:

I should clarify that I never used the phone service but only data while I was there. In theory, the phone service works as well. When you move from one country to another it pops up notifying you of cost for phone and data. All the countries I visited the data was $10 per GB just like the US. Since I wasn't planning on using the phone I didn't pay attention to those prices but there was some variability there iirc depending on whether calling a land line or mobile number.

I'm not too worried about making calls, as I have 3CX where I can make phone calls from anywhere through an app on my phone, and it's like calling from my office. But I want to make sure I can use GPS and what not with it. Did you have any experience with that?

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm not too worried about making calls, as I have 3CX where I can make phone calls from anywhere through an app on my phone, and it's like calling from my office. But I want to make sure I can use GPS and what not with it. Did you have any experience with that?

Yes, I used GPS quite a bit, but your the phone doesn't use PRoject Fi for GPS location detection. You don't need mobile coverage at all for that, just a unit with a GPS chip in it. Data will be used to load maps if you don't download them ahead of time. Generally, I knew where I would be and downloaded the maps while on wifi then used Google Maps application for navigation.

• Like 1