aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

Oh, I didn't mention it in this thread, but I also applied for the Pittsburgh city police back in October. Got my results back for the written test and that went very well.

I'm still waiting to hear back about the next steps in the process. Its gonna be a while still I think.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

Oh, I didn't mention it in this thread, but I also applied for the Pittsburgh city police back in October. Got my results back for the written test and that went very well.

I'm still waiting to hear back about the next steps in the process. Its gonna be a while still I think.

first of all, congrats.

second, as respectful as i feel of you for attempting this, i'm not sure what motivates someone to want to be a city police officer. the rewards received aren't all that high, are they? and the risk...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm starting a new security job in 2 weeks, and I'm going from morning shifts to overnight shifts.

What's the best way to go about my sleep schedule before and after I start? This is all new territory to me.

Avoid any sort of shift rotation like the plague. You should get blackout blinds for your room. Since you are still working there isn’t much else you can do. In the week before you start ON, start staying up as late as you can so that your body will adjust to being awake at those hrs, and use your off days to adjust.

good luck! My wife was a nurse that rotated shifts... it wasn’t pretty. We had a new born, I worked a 9-5 and she worked nights during the week and days every other weekend. Burned her out very quickly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

first of all, congrats.

second, as respectful as i feel of you for attempting this, i'm not sure what motivates someone to want to be a city police officer. the rewards received aren't all that high, are they? and the risk...

Depends on what you think is rewarding to you.

Is it money? You can make a career out of this job, but in general it doesn't pay that well in comparison to other Criminal Justice/law  jobs (lawyers, bail bonds agents etc)

For me, its the desire to be out in the field and helping people any way I can. People should feel safe walking down the street, going to their house, and have the confidence in the police that if something does happen, that the police will be and risk their lives to ensure that that person can be secure. They should be confident that if they break the law that they aren't going to be judged based on the color of their skin or their religious beliefs. They should be confident that the ones who enforce the law are the same people who abide to those same laws.

To me, that's the most rewarding thing, because it transcends my own desires and goals. Its working for the people in a professional manner that means so much to me.

I hope I get in, but if I don't, I know I always have a backup plan.

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Avoid any sort of shift rotation like the plague. You should get blackout blinds for your room. Since you are still working there isn’t much else you can do. In the week before you start ON, start staying up as late as you can so that your body will adjust to being awake at those hrs, and use your off days to adjust.

good luck! My wife was a nurse that rotated shifts... it wasn’t pretty. We had a new born, I worked a 9-5 and she worked nights during the week and days every other weekend. Burned her out very quickly.

That’s the exact type of schedule my lady is on. I don’t know how she does it. 

1 minute ago, rpmwr19 said:

That’s the exact type of schedule my lady is on. I don’t know how she does it. 

It takes a special kind of person.

Absolutely no hope of maintaining a schedule. She was doing that during the pregnancy, and I’m pretty sure that’s what led to her going on bed rest for the last three month. If you can’t take good enough care of yourself, how can you expect to grow another human. 

I hope she has a plan to get out of that shift at some point! For her sake and yours.

• Like 1