aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

They responded, the fire dept was there in about 30 mins, the Elevator tech maybe in 50 mins. I just don't think that they knew what was actually wrong with the elevator. The Elevator tech said that he had to hand drift the elevator down. Which makes sense - if you are only moving inches at a time with no external frame of reference it might not feel like you are moving at all, and it would take a long time to lower a car 10-12 feet.

25 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

humans can be odd creatures under stress.

In other words, they're babies.  :P

I've been stuck in an elevator before...for about 45 minutes....it was also around the first floor.  I was po'd because I generally didn't take the elevator, but the one time I felt lazy and didn't want to walk the stairs, I got stuck.  Never took the elevator again.  I could understand a little panic if you were up on the 31st floor (this is coming from someone who has a pretty good fear of heights), but it's not like you can fall that far (maybe to the basement a floor or a few floors down) where you were at.  

I've had a sore back for about 2 weeks now. Last time this happened I went to the Doctor and they gave me pills but I was hoping I wouldn't need to do that and my back would heal on it's own. Some days are easy and I can walk around with no issues until I sit down for awhile and stand up. Other days I walk around hunched over like an 80 year old. I've done a bunch of the usual stuff. Back braces, icepacks, and a heating pad. I know I pulled a muscle in the bottom right side of my back. Brother had to come over and mow my lawn because I couldn't and it was getting pretty bad.

7 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

I've had a sore back for about 2 weeks now. Last time this happened I went to the Doctor and they gave me pills but I was hoping I wouldn't need to do that and my back would heal on it's own. Some days are easy and I can walk around with no issues until I sit down for awhile and stand up. Other days I walk around hunched over like an 80 year old. I've done a bunch of the usual stuff. Back braces, icepacks, and a heating pad. I know I pulled a muscle in the bottom right side of my back. Brother had to come over and mow my lawn because I couldn't and it was getting pretty bad.

What is this "mowing the lawn" you speak of? Our lawns are currently white.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

see a massage therapist, dude. and possibly a chiropractor if something is out of alignment, and then pulling your muscles out of line with it.

welcome to your advancing old age. you know, the thing you punks have been kidding me about for over a decade now. bwahahahahaha!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

see a massage therapist, dude. and possibly a chiropractor if something is out of alignment, and then pulling your muscles out of line with it.

welcome to your advancing old age. you know, the thing you punks have been kidding me about for over a decade now. bwahahahahaha!

I just made an appointment to see a physician tomorrow.

Just now, TENINCH said:

I just made an appointment to see a physician tomorrow.

bah. physician can only help if damage has been done (muscle tear) but even then you'd be sent to a physical therapist.

DO NOT medicate the situation, that will only mask the root cause of the problem.

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

bah. physician can only help if damage has been done (muscle tear) but even then you'd be sent to a physical therapist.

DO NOT medicate the situation, that will only mask the root cause of the problem.

You're right, but physical therapy may be what he needs. Recurring low back issues are usually due to tightness in the low back, hip flexors, and hamstrings along with weak core and glutes. If you go to a chiropractor you will walk out of the office feeling great, but that may only last for a day or two if you don't address the underlying tightness and weakness. I would lean massage over chiropractic, but PT would most likely set you up for long term success. And if you don't live in a state with direct access for physical therapy insurance usually requires a referral from a physician. 

Also, I agree with medicating as little as possible, but if you're miserable medication can help in the short term, just don't overdo on physical activity when you are drugged up because you will pay for it when the drugs wear off.

3 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

You're right, but physical therapy may be what he needs. Recurring low back issues are usually due to tightness in the low back, hip flexors, and hamstrings along with weak core and glutes. If you go to a chiropractor you will walk out of the office feeling great, but that may only last for a day or two if you don't address the underlying tightness and weakness. I would lean massage over chiropractic, but PT would most likely set you up for long term success. And if you don't live in a state with direct access for physical therapy insurance usually requires a referral from a physician. 

Also, I agree with medicating as little as possible, but if you're miserable medication can help in the short term, just don't overdo on physical activity when you are drugged up because you will pay for it when the drugs wear off.

agree with every single point here.

i'm ancient but in excellent health because of (well, genetics for one) and a knowledge of how to BE healthy. i routinely outwork people 30 and even 40 years younger than me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

agree with every single point here.

i'm ancient but in excellent health because of (well, genetics for one) and a knowledge of how to BE healthy. i routinely outwork people 30 and even 40 years younger than me.

Yeah I just want some relief from the constant pain. I understand that I need to get physical therapy. My aunt is a Physical Therapist so I'll see if she has any recommendations.

23 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Bragger......

• Like 1

i hurt my shoulder once, a few years ago, and didn't realize i had done actual damage to it, thought i had just "pulled a muscle." probably tore one instead. then i made it worse, and i bet you are too, by over compensating in how i was holding my body, trying to ease the shoulder pain. but that makes it a LOT worse because your body (in totally non medical layman terms) starts getting twisted in to a new shape and posture it was never meant to be in. you might be doing the same thing with your back.

so with the help of PT and massage, i got my body back in to its original stance so it then could start healing.