aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

17 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Leaving Friday morning for a fishing trip up at Shining Falls Lodge on Family Lake in Manitoba. I am beyond excited!!! I've never done much fishing so I'm sure this will be quite the experience.

I really haven't been fishing since I was a kid...just because it was never a really fun experience for me...but, my son wants to do it, so we're getting our licenses and will go out sometime this summer.  

7 hours ago, disaacs said:

I really haven't been fishing since I was a kid...just because it was never a really fun experience for me...but, my son wants to do it, so we're getting our licenses and will go out sometime this summer.  

I loved fishing as a kid but here in Georgia every lake (and there is not many) seems to be owned by someone or you have to pay when you park next to one. The ones that aren't owned are filled with boats, kayakers and kids playing.

In Minnesota you can pull up next to any body of water and throw a line in and there are so many options. I have 3 maybe 4 places to fish within 30 minutes of my house.

11 hours ago, TENINCH said:

I loved fishing as a kid but here in Georgia every lake (and there is not many) seems to be owned by someone or you have to pay when you park next to one. The ones that aren't owned are filled with boats, kayakers and kids playing.

In Minnesota you can pull up next to any body of water and throw a line in and there are so many options. I have 3 maybe 4 places to fish within 30 minutes of my house.

It's about the same here in KC.  We do have little ponds in parks that they stock with fish, but actual lakes are few and far between.  All of them were Army Corps of Engineers-built.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, disaacs said:

It's about the same here in KC.  We do have little ponds in parks that they stock with fish, but actual lakes are few and far between.  All of them were Army Corps of Engineers-built.  

Same. Everything here is man made and you're forced to pay to be there.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/31/rk-midway-picks-mortenson-as-master-developer-for-midway-shopping-center-superblock/

The 35-acre “SuperBlock”– a combination of the existing Midway Shopping Center strip mall and the blighted vacant land around it — could someday be home to parks, hotels, restaurants, housing and even a movie theater.

On Thursday, strip mall owner RK Midway of New York took a major step toward putting that plan in motion.

They announced that the Golden Valley-based Mortenson Company — the same firm building Allianz Field for Minnesota United — would become master developer for the entire Snelling-Midway site along University Avenue.

In 10 years I could see the Midway area being one of the most desirable areas in town. Compare that to 10 years ago when it was one of the worst. That whole area from the U over to St. Paul is gonna be awesome once the stadium and surrounding restaurants, hotels, etc. are built.

Mortenson also built US Bank Stadium, TCF Bank Stadium and the new Athletes Village at the U.

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

What's the parking situation down there if they're developing the whole area with green space and other buildings?

They are building multiple parking lots around (behind?) the stadium, but there are also over a thousand parking spots around Surly that are within walking distance. I expect lots of people will park in downtown Minneapolis or St. Paul and take the green line over. Obviously tons of parking near US Bank or Xcel. 

ext06-day-allianz-2.jpg?w=620

• Like 1

Also, it was announced that Minnesota will host at least two Gold Cup games for the US Mens National Team. 

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/15/allianz-field-will-host-two-gold-cup-games-including-u-s-mens-rebirth/

I could see the USMNT and USWNT playing here relatively often, especially when it is colder, to get some advantage over the other CONCACAF teams (Central America & Caribbean).

The real question is if we'll get a World Cup game in 2026.

EDIT: Nevermind, a World Cup game would be at US Bank, not Allianz

25 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

They are building multiple parking lots around (behind?) the stadium, but there are also over a thousand parking spots around Surly that are within walking distance. I expect lots of people will park in downtown Minneapolis or St. Paul and take the green line over. Obviously tons of parking near US Bank or Xcel. 

ext06-day-allianz-2.jpg?w=620

Ah, was going by the master plans linked in that article.

Vb7uun.png

10 hours ago, skywindO2 said:
Had free tickets to the Twins game tonight, happened to be SKOL Night. The had a special Twins Vikings hat but unfortunately I didn’t get one. 

Yooo - I had tickets to the game too. It was cool to see Cousins/Diggs/Thielen out there