aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

You don't know traffic until you've driven in Rome. No one should drive in Rome. Ever. Under any circumstance. Straight insanity.

However, if I lived in a large city, I'd absolutely love getting rid of the car and using public transportation in cities that do a decent job at it. It's still mind-boggling to me that LA, Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Denver, and some of the other large cities don't have subways. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Everyone should experience traffic in the Washington DC region.  NO...not really...I wouldn't want that for any of you...you're my friends!!!!

I visited DC a month ago, loved the metro, wish we had a nice system like that here. 

14 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

You don't know traffic until you've driven in Rome. No one should drive in Rome. Ever. Under any circumstance. Straight insanity.

However, if I lived in a large city, I'd absolutely love getting rid of the car and using public transportation in cities that do a decent job at it. It's still mind-boggling to me that LA, Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Denver, and some of the other large cities don't have subways. 

I can't speak for any of the other cities, but with the structure of the land, subways can't be built in Seattle.  They had built a monorail line and they had some train service above ground, but if there's anything that was pretty bad about there is it's transit service.  But then again, I might have been spoiled.  The Twin Cities' transit service (Metro) has been far superior to everywhere else I've been.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They had built a monorail line and they had some train service above ground, but if there's anything that was pretty bad about there is it's transit service. 

My cousin's wife actually used to drive bus out there (and might still?). That's where I first heard about the city's traffic problems.

16 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I agree 100%.  I have visited Rome twice.  It's the only city I've been in where the sidewalks are also vehicle lanes!  It's also the city where the vehicle with the loudest horn has the right away!  At least this is what I've observed!

5 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

It's the only city I've been in where the sidewalks are also vehicle lanes!

Just left Gdansk, Poland today after a few day trip. Vehicles on sidewalks was pretty normal. Glad I didn't attempt to drive. The transit system works well but not knowing Polish is a severe problem since there isn't information or announcements in English. I missed at least one train every time I tried to ride the SKM. Missed two on the way to the airport at my only transfer but still made the flight since I learned to plan on failing at least once at every transfer.

The roads are pretty bad in most of Europe compared to US cities IMO. However, the public transit systems are far superior. This is probably because driving is so painful it is easier for them to get enough ridership to make it worthwhile to have the route come by every 10 minutes.

Maybe MSP should trim all their roads to single lanes each way and put buildings hugging up agains those single lanes. Triple the price of gas too. Then they'll be setup to have a pretty kick butt public transportation system succeed.

On 8/6/2018 at 6:26 PM, wcblack34 said:

Parking in Rome is hilarious. Parallel parking two deep, parking out into intersections, it was funny to watch from a coach bus. 

• Like 1

Kamara is an odd duck.  Either way, is it only a coincidence that the Saints drafted a very good player with an odd personality that doesn't really fit into regular society...the last time I can recall a similar player with such an odd personality, was Ricky Williams.  Is Kamara going to decide to walk off and go smoke full-time on some island?  That sounds like the kind of thing Kamara may eventually do.  Either that, or he'll decide he wants to go hunt lions in sub-Saharan Africa with his dentist.  

On 8/7/2018 at 1:26 AM, wcblack34 said:

However, if I lived in a large city, I'd absolutely love getting rid of the car and using public transportation in cities that do a decent job at it. It's still mind-boggling to me that LA, Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Denver, and some of the other large cities don't have subways

L.A. has a subway.  On one line.  It goes for about 3-4 miles from Downtown towards East Hollywood.  All the rest of their grossly inadequate light rail system is elevated.   But, it is expensive, and usually must be driven to, or fed by buses.  It's difficult to get anywhere but a few places in that sprawling metropolis, unless you are extremely lucky enough to live very near a Metro stop AND are lucky to have one of its lines go exactly where to need to go. It's also too dangerous to ride a bicycle anywhere other than inside specific  neighbourhoods of low- traffic bedroom suburbs.  If you need to ride on major streets, or even cross them, it becomes too dangerous.  Only some stretches of The Pacific Coast bikeway are safe, but in popular areas of it, like Venice Beach and coastal Santa Monica, you can't build up any speed, because you have to keep stopping for pedestrians going to and from the beaches.  San Francisco Bay Area has adequate public transportation.  Seattle is not hard to get around in without a car.  Auto traffic there is terrible, especially on the bridges in and out of the city during rush hour.