aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

In the day or two after the new deal between Nike and Colin Kaepernick was announced, the Kaepernick naysayers were taking delight in the fluctuation of the stock price, insisting that the initial drop meant that investors were bailing on the brand. Even though most of the other publicly-traded companies in the same industry saw their stock prices drop, too.

To the extent that such short-term movements have clear and direct relevance to the Kaepernick deal (and they likely don’t), Nike shares closed on Thursday at an all-time high.

On Tuesday, September 4, Nike closed a $79.60 per share. On Thursday, the closing price hit $83.47. That’s a 4.8-percent increase, and it reflects an appreciation in the value of the company by roughly $5 billion.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/14/nike-stock-closes-at-a-record-high/

Brother In Law: SCREW NIKE! (Threw a Nike hat into the bonfire)Any one who’s a patriot should destroy their Nike gear 

Me: where’d you get that? (The hat still had its tags, and I’ve only known him to wear a Budweiser hat)

BiL: Walmart the other day. 

Me: ?‍♂️ 

This was scene last weekend. All I could do was laugh to myself. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Brother In Law: SCREW NIKE! (Threw a Nike hat into the bonfire)Any one who’s a patriot should destroy their Nike gear 

Me: where’d you get that? (The hat still had its tags, and I’ve only known him to wear a Budweiser hat)

BiL: Walmart the other day. 

Me: ?‍♂️ 

This was scene last weekend. All I could do was laugh to myself. 

I honestly hate it when people throw around the "patriot" term like that.  You want to ask them if they even know what the hell that means.  :D 

17 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I honestly hate it when people throw around the "patriot" term like that.  You want to ask them if they even know what the hell that means.  :D 

Don’t even get me started. This is a guy who complains about “disrespecting the flag”, while he has one flying from the back of his truck all torn up and beat to hell.

But I gave up after trying to have a discussion on the whole rebel flag controversy that popped up last year.

South Dakota State rewrote the record books on Saturday night, recording one of the most lopsided wins in recent college football history with a 90-6 win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff in front of 14,526 Beef Bowl fans at Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium.

SDSU led 49-6 at halftime, at which point Taryn Christion had thrown for 332 yards and five touchdowns. The Jacks took out most of their starters at that point, but even their 2s and 3s were too much for the APBU defense. The Golden Lions, while speedy and dangerous on offense, were just completely overmatched when the Jacks had the ball.

SDSU finished with a school record 926 yards of total offense. The 90 points broke the previous school record of 85, set in 1922, but it’s the second time this week an FCS team hit the 90-point barrier. Davidson defeated Division II Guilford 91-61 on Thursday.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2018/09/15/south-dakota-state-football-jackrabbits-arkansas-pine-bluff-division-football-rout/1306845002/

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm having issues with my laptop's location services. It's putting me about 50 miles away from where I actually am. It wouldn't normally be a huge issue, but where I live I already tow the line between two TV markets. And since I am a cord-cutter and use an online TV service, that means the new location puts me in the market that my TV service doesn't carry the local networks for. It works fine on my phone and tablet (both Apple), but not my laptop (Windows).

Any ideas?

54 minutes ago, Klomp said:

So I'm having issues with my laptop's location services. It's putting me about 50 miles away from where I actually am. It wouldn't normally be a huge issue, but where I live I already tow the line between two TV markets. And since I am a cord-cutter and use an online TV service, that means the new location puts me in the market that my TV service doesn't carry the local networks for. It works fine on my phone and tablet (both Apple), but not my laptop (Windows).

Any ideas?

Not sure what kind of connection or what level of Windows (7/10) you have but the location services are probably related to GPS training of the wireless network you are using or your IP address. If you have a cable modem like mine, you can change your IP address by restarting your router. However, if I start it right after powering it down I usually get the same IP. To get a different IP I usually need to leave it powered off for some time.

As far as wireless network, have you acquired a wireless router lately? If it thinks location services have mapped it to some other GPS coordinates previously it might take some time for it to be trained properly. I don't really know how Windows does it but in the Android and iPhone world people with GPS enabled phones move around connecting to various networks. The GPS knows the location and the location services for either company can learn to map that access point to the GPS location reported by the phone. It is possible that Microsoft is buying its training data from either source, but if the location is correct on your iPad odds are Microsoft isn't getting its location data from Apple. It takes time for the training of the new location to kick in if an access point is moved.

For about a week at work my phone thought I was in Jacksonville, FL. My employer has one of their major campuses down in Jacksonville and my phone thought I was down there. Apparently the wireless access point was moved possibly they were changing out a bad unit. Buried under all the concrete in my building it was hard for any phone to get GPS signal to help train the new location but eventually the location services systems learned.

You could try hooking your computer up to a different access point if you have another access point easily accessible. Maybe walk to the nearest McDonald's with your laptop and see if the location is right there to narrow in on whether the location error is related to your access point. Other than that, it is playing around with location settings. Maybe clearing location history.

• Like 1

Robins, cedar waxwings and other birds in Gilbert, Minnesota, are flying into windshields, bumping into trees and looking mighty disoriented.

Police there say there's no need to worry -- the birds are just a little drunk.

"It appears some birds are getting a little more 'tipsy' than normal," Gilbert Police Chief Ty Techar wrote this week in a Facebook post.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/04/us/minnesota-drunk-birds-trnd/index.html