aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

We just bought a ninety year old house. I've spend the last five days deconstructing. I'mt too old for this $%^&.

My house isn't nearly that old (it was in it's 50th year when we bought it 2 years ago), but since the previous owner pretty much had done nothing to it in 20 of the 30 years she lived in the house (since her husband had been dead for about 15 years), we've been slowly re-doing everything...and I feel like I'm too old...and too un-handy...for some of it.  :D

57 minutes ago, swede700 said:
1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

We just bought a ninety year old house. I've spend the last five days deconstructing. I'mt too old for this $%^&.

My house isn't nearly that old (it was in it's 50th year when we bought it 2 years ago), but since the previous owner pretty much had done nothing to it in 20 of the 30 years she lived in the house (since her husband had been dead for about 15 years), we've been slowly re-doing everything...and I feel like I'm too old...and too un-handy...for some of it.  :D

90, so new. The house I own is 111 years old.

On 12/6/2018 at 10:08 AM, PrplChilPill said:

Congratulations on the purchase!  It will be hard work, but I bet it will be really satisfying once you get it fixed up just the way you want it.  Will you paint the exterior in a nice shade of Viking purple?

On 12/7/2018 at 9:42 AM, Uncle Buck said:

Congratulations on the purchase!  It will be hard work, but I bet it will be really satisfying once you get it fixed up just the way you want it.  Will you paint the exterior in a nice shade of Viking purple?

It is literally already light purple. going to paint the trim dark purple and white this summer. I will try to sneak some gold someplace

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If San Francisco is too expensive, Manhattan too dense, Seattle too "tech-y," Los Angeles too congested and Houston too sprawling, perhaps Minneapolis is the city that's striking the right balance?

So says Emily Badger, a New York Times writer covering cities and urban policy. She details some of the struggles in booming cities like San Francisco, Portland and Seattle, and some of the fears in Long Island, N.Y., over the coming of Amazon's second headquarters. Growth in these cities has led to soaring housing prices, congestion, gentrification and large homeless populations.

She ends with high praise for Minneapolis.

"It’s much harder to point to cities that have gotten all of this right — the growth without the congestion, the tech jobs without the homeless crisis, the affordable housing without the sprawl ... We could use a word for the condition of becoming such a place. Maybe Minneapolisization?"

Many have been quick to point out that Minneapolis isn't exactly getting it all right. We have one of the highest income gaps between whites and African Americans, and we have our own struggles with sheltering homeless people. And with rents and home prices quickly on the rise, there's a growing affordable-housing crisis in the Twin Cities.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2018/12/27/minneapolisization-ny-times-writer-says-weve.html?ana=e_me_set1&s=newsletter&ed=2018-12-27&u=12678972704f16f3bf93ab43ae654b&t=1546017000&j=85726541&fbclid=IwAR0ioOaZN9ivONzqlO_70aJ7XQ1OtoQskTLcGiyP0UyI3A5LQqA4NrDlLBU

17 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Some friends are doing a superbowl bet. 6 people, $20/pp. Each person gets two picks of the playoff teams, one of your teams wins the superbowl and you win the pot. I got the first and last pick. Saints are the choice, right? 

Depends on your goal. I wouldn't pick any team that you didn't want to root for because some things are more important than money and it is easy to resist the greed temptation when the amount it so small. I won't sit here and pretend to know what $120 means to you but assuming it is just a "for fun" amount go with the teams you want to root for. If $120 means a lot to you go with the teams that you think have the best chance. In that case, the Saints are a good pick.

These odds are as good as any IMO: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-nfl-predictions/

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Put in an offer for our first house. 

Quite a way to kick off the new year. 

Gosh, I don't think I was ever so full of anxiety as when I went to close on our first house!  But, home ownership is great!!  I'm now in my 3rd and hopefully final home before being admitted to the Old Vikings Home for the Senile and Cranky!