aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

7 minutes ago, Klomp said:

This weekend, I'm ingratiating myself with my future wife and in-laws by going tent camping for the first time in my life. Any experienced campers have some advice?

Don’t sleep in your socks.

But if they are experienced campers, they’ll have most of the basics nailed down, so not much for you to worry about. 

Edited by SemperFeist

52 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I'm glad you don't have FOMO :) Are you opting not to watch it, or haven't gotten around to it? I find it interesting when people decide not to engage in wildly popular and critically acclaimed content. I didn't have HBO/Showtime until the past couple of years and it is staggering how much better the quality is on those networks compared to network and regular cable television.

I opt not to watch it just because I don't want to pay for HBO.  I got rid of cable about 4-5 years ago and haven't turned back.  If they ever decide to put it on Amazon Prime, then maybe I'll consider it...but until then, I won't.  

11 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Explain

I'm not sure whether he's talking about things creeping in, or whether it's about possibly sweating a ton from wearing socks.  

I'm a novice backpacker, but I imagine the "10 Essentials" apply to just regular tent-camping as well.  Just google that and you'll see what you need.  Anything else other than those are just based upon your preference.  

17 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

IMO, Breaking Bad is the single greatest TV series of all time. You guys are missing out.

I know a lot of people who loved that show...but, they tend to be younger than me.  I am finding that TV producers aren't producing shows for the 55 and older demographic.  I get it...and, it's ok.  Breaking Bad didn't appeal to me.   I did enjoy The Big Bang Theory...even if it wasn't made for my demographic.  I also enjoy the Daily Show...and it definitely isn't made for my demographic.

NCIS is made for my demographic, and I do watch it.  But, it's so stale it's practically penicillin! 

42 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I know a lot of people who loved that show...but, they tend to be younger than me.  I am finding that TV producers aren't producing shows for the 55 and older demographic.  I get it...and, it's ok.  Breaking Bad didn't appeal to me.   I did enjoy The Big Bang Theory...even if it wasn't made for my demographic.  I also enjoy the Daily Show...and it definitely isn't made for my demographic.

NCIS is made for my demographic, and I do watch it.  But, it's so stale it's practically penicillin! 

There isn't really a show catered to my demographic...in fact, there's absolutely nothing that's catered to my demographic...I'm a Gen Xer.  As usual, we've been completely ignored in society.  :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

greatest dramatic show, yes i heartily agree.

greatest comedy? All in the Family.

All in the Family was a little before my time haha. I'm in the minority, but my favorite comedy is That 70s Show. It aired while I was in high school and I identified with the kids. I watch it now and I'm starting to identify with Red....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

All in the Family was a little before my time haha. I'm in the minority, but my favorite comedy is That 70s Show. It aired while I was in high school and I identified with the kids. I watch it now and I'm starting to identify with Red....

I don't care how old I get, I will always be Eric Foreman...the one in That 70s Show, not the one in House.  xD

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I definitely think there are shows that are created with specific demographics in mind, but there are some (Breaking Bad being one) that transcend demographics at a certain point. 

Those formula shows like Law and Order, NCIS, CSI, and JAG... I could never watch them. It was like watching the same show over and over again. There is something to be said for easily digestible television though. Shows like Arrested Development or Parks and Rec that you can watch one a time or 4 in a row are great.

• Like 1

I loved All in the Family.  In fact, I loved all of the Norman Lear shows.  It's hard to believe that dude is still alive.  I'd probably say that Good Times was my favorite though from him, just because as a kid, I got a huge kick out of Dyno-mite!  And of course, they dealt with their own issues on that show too...it probably does reflect a lot on how I view life.  

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

greatest dramatic show, yes i heartily agree.

greatest comedy? All in the Family.

I think the greatest dramatic show for me was Star Trek: Deep Space Nine...I love science fiction, but unlike the other Star Trek shows, it had extremely dark themes and very complicated characters.

The greatest comedies for me are: 1. M*A*S*H, The **** Van Dyke Show, The Andy Griffith Show.    Good lord, I am O*L*D!!!