aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

On 3/25/2020 at 8:28 AM, Virginia Viking said:

I wonder how everybody is doing in the midst of COVID-19?  How have your lives been effected?  What have you been doing with your time with no sports to watch or engage?

My daughter got coronavirus-related laid off for however long until the government allows her employer to open back up. So, I spent the last week driving down to warmer weather with my daughter to go backpacking. We first went to the Wichita Mountains, but got kicked out of there on the second day because Oklahoma decided backpacking was no bueno during the virus. So we drove over to Arkansas and went backpacking in the Ozark National forest for three days.

It was mighty hot in the Ozark National Forest Thursday but we were only going about five miles a day and the water filter coupled with sufficient water sources kept us out of trouble. Those uphills are a bit more than I am used to in Minnesota and will motivate me to learn to pack quite a bit lighter in the future. As usual, I carried way more food than I actually needed and way more clothes than I actually used. I am going to buy a hammock and try sleeping in that so I can ditch the tent.

So, to more directly answer your questions, me and mine are doing quite well, our lives have been tremendously effected in a positive way, and I have been spending more time getting out into nature and becoming healthier.

Life without work is quite nice. I partially retired a couple years ago and this is making me think that perhaps I should fully retire as long as I can find some other people that are retired or unemployed to hang out with. Sadly, the wife likes her job too much and won't quit it. In other words, she would rather spend more time at work than additional time with me. Since she has not yet gotten laid off (works are the hospital so little hope of the government stepping in and helping me out) I'll need to find someone else to spend my time with.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 5

California Governor Gavin Newsom thinks his state is more than five months away from being ready to pack tens of thousands of people into a stadium. Newsom said today that California’s battle against the coronavirus pandemic is unlikely to have made sufficient progress for the football season to be played as normal.

Newsom: “I’m not anticipating that happening in this state. We’ve all seen the headlines over the last couple days in Asia where they opening up certain businesses and now they’re starting to roll back those openings because they’re starting seeing some spread and there’s a boomerang. One has to be very cautious here, one has to be careful not to overpromise.”

“I would move very cautiously in that expectation. Our decision on that basis here in the State of California will be determined by the facts, will be determined by the health experts, will be determined by our ability to meet this moment and bend the curve. Right now I’m just focusing on the immediate, but that’s not something I anticipate happening in the next few months.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/04/california-governor-not-anticipating-football-in-full-stadiums-this-year/

On 4/4/2020 at 9:18 AM, SteelKing728 said:

I had a dream we play Carolina week 1 this season.

Weird, since the schedule usually comes out about right now I think.

Usually yes, but now it won't be until May.  And god forbid that it would be Carolina that they'd face Week 1.  Remember the last time that happened?  The Vikings were the only team to lose to Carolina that entire season.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

With my job cutting all unnecessary hours, rendering lots of employees not officially laid off but inactive, I've got a little more free time these days. Lately I've subjected myself to a grueling regimen of petting my cats, playing with my dogs, watching old game shows on Buzzr (hooray for Supermarket Sweep!), re-watching my favorite football games (because seeing Favre beat the Packers at Lambeau will never get old), and pondering the meaning of life. ^_^

I still go out to some places and try not to bother about the virus, because I don't see the point of living in fear. And I'm optimistic that we will see Vikings football at some point this year.

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1

I live in a suburb of Toronto, Ontario. Myself and wife have been asked to work from home since March 18 indefinitely. I work for public sector and she works for a major car company. We are trying to make food stretch, in combination with freezer food. After work we are generally doing 25min cardio type workout together (something we didn't really do before). We look at movies & tv shows at night. My parents are snowbirds in Florida, and they came back about 3 weeks ago, but i haven't really seen them yet, I've done the grocery for them before tho. I'm not expecting this to end soon ish. 

Can anyone that knows let know about this? I heard that Minnesota has the big 3M factory that might make N95 mask, is there "Canadian pulp" in any of these N95 mask or no? I know that Canada sends pulp to 3M but don't know if it's for other products.

17 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

I still go out to some places and try not to bother about the virus, because I don't see the point of living in fear.

It is fair to not be afraid of dying yourself, but I really hope you ARE wary of potentially spreading the disease and killing lots of other people. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Can anyone that knows let know about this? I heard that Minnesota has the big 3M factory that might make N95 mask, is there "Canadian pulp" in any of these N95 mask or no? I know that Canada sends pulp to 3M but don't know if it's for other products.

I'm sure 3M has numerous suppliers, but I'm sure the majority of pulp stock is domestic. The US has a large pulp+paper industry (including in MN) and it is definitely cheaper than importing. Getting some from Canada wouldn't surprise me either though.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

It is fair to not be afraid of dying yourself, but I really hope you ARE wary of potentially spreading the disease and killing lots of other people. 

That is my biggest fear...Thankfully, I have a very good immune system, so I potentially could have caught it on my many visits to Sea-Tac Airport early last month and passed it on without even knowing, since I've had no symptoms whatsoever.  I've been out to the hardware store/grocery store a couple of times over the past 2-3 weeks, but I have generally been home all the time.  I maybe go somewhere for 20 minutes every 3 days or so and then am right back home.  

32 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That is my biggest fear...Thankfully, I have a very good immune system, so I potentially could have caught it on my many visits to Sea-Tac Airport early last month and passed it on without even knowing, since I've had no symptoms whatsoever.  I've been out to the hardware store/grocery store a couple of times over the past 2-3 weeks, but I have generally been home all the time.  I maybe go somewhere for 20 minutes every 3 days or so and then am right back home.  

That is the scariest thing, it seems like 20%+ of people have no/mild symptoms and can still spread it, completely unaware. 

36 minutes ago, cconocool said:

I have two. The Lindy's and Athlon sports. The Lindy's is alright, but the Athlon not so much.

Any other draft magazines out there?

Not really "magazines", but I have ESPN+ and The Athletic, and both are great (beyond just NFL Draft coverage)

• Like 1

Draft magazines really are tough to get behind now with Twitter and many other sites dedicated to the draft. Because the magazines have to be printed, there is so much information that is either a month or two old, or not even included. 

It’s probably been a good 10 years or more since I actually bought one. I’d much rather buy the scouting books that many of the big hitters put out. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 10:21 AM, Heimdallr said:

That is the scariest thing, it seems like 20%+ of people have no/mild symptoms and can still spread it, completely unaware. 

Yep. It’s the asymptomatic folks who will determine how fast we get through this. 

The most frustrating thing for me has been the complete lack of respect/appreciation for the younger generation who won’t die from this but are sacrificing their daily lives to ensure they don’t pass it to the vulnerable folks (I’m in my 40s, so I’m in the “could die, but probably won’t” group). 

Edited by wcblack34