aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

11 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Yep. It’s the asymptomatic folks who will determine how fast we get through this. 

The most frustrating thing for me has been the complete lack of respect/appreciation for the younger generation who won’t die from this but are sacrificing their daily lives to ensure they don’t pass it to the vulnerable folks (I’m in my 40s, so I’m in the “could die, but probably won’t” group). 

I'm 59 and in that age bracket of the most vulnerable.  I greatly appreciate all that everyone, including the sacrifice of younger adults, are doing to help mitigate the spread of the virus.  So, thank you!!

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I'm 59 and in that age bracket of the most vulnerable.  I greatly appreciate all that everyone, including the sacrifice of younger adults, are doing to help mitigate the spread of the virus.  So, thank you!!

Yes, thank you! I’m also in my 50’s and at a higher risk. I appreciate the sacrifice of the community at large; especially the younger generation. Again, thank you for your sacrifice. 

6 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I'm not personally looking for thanks. But I do see a lot of mid-20's to mid-30's people hunkering down to defeat this. I hope this fiasco is over soon. 

45 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm not personally looking for thanks. But I do see a lot of mid-20's to mid-30's people hunkering down to defeat this. I hope this fiasco is over soon. 

At the very least, we'll all have stories to tell people as we get older (I'm in my mid-40s)...while I certainly appreciate the people who normally would not do something like this, it hasn't really changed my life all that much, considering I spend most of my free time at home anyway doing home projects.  Now, it's just ramped up those activities...it'll be nice once this all ends so I can actually go to work and not drink my own coffee constantly and talk Vikings with a coworker or 2.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Hunkering down date extended to May 4th - I appreciate you all helping my need to socialize.

My job set that hunkering down date last week I think.  I still think it'll take reaching the peak (whenever that may be ) and then a couple of weeks after that of declining totals before we'll get to work our way back into society.  

I don't think that my employer ever gave me an end date for the hunkering down. I assume I'll be working from home for some time. That is, unless they run out of money and tell me to stop working from home in addition to the request we don't come in to work at work.

They have committed to paying us through April 28th.

So that is nice, but it makes a lot of people wonder what happens after that; they never felt the need to commit to pay us before. That might more affect the patient-facing employees with jobs that don't allow them to work from home. Or maybe those of us that are not in patient-facing jobs will be easier to shed. Time will tell.

I am considered an essential employee, so I haven't missed anytime from work.  It's kind of frightening to be around other employees who I have no idea what they are doing on their free time...I am trusting that they are following company and governmental guidelines.

5 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

my two sons are 30 and 32, live in New Orleans and Portland OR, and have self quarantined for at least three weeks now, probably more.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 3:12 PM, Cearbhall said:

They have committed to paying us through April 28th.

So that is nice, but it makes a lot of people wonder what happens after that; they never felt the need to commit to pay us before. That might more affect the patient-facing employees with jobs that don't allow them to work from home. Or maybe those of us that are not in patient-facing jobs will be easier to shed. Time will tell.

I said time will tell, and it has told. Full pay through the 28th for me and then a 7% pay cut after that. It could be worse. It looks like the doctors are getting 10%.

My employer is also going to furlough an unspecified number of employees starting April 20th.  I'll have to wait and see if I am included in that bunch.  They are not allowing for early retirement.

I hope you all have a decent emergency savings fund. If not, cobble together what you can ASAP. Many companies have already had to cut back their employment costs and many, many more will still have to be doing that.

Edited by Cearbhall

15 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I said time will tell, and it has told. Full pay through the 28th for me and then a 7% pay cut after that. It could be worse. It looks like the doctors are getting 10%.

My employer is also going to furlough an unspecified number of employees starting April 20th.  I'll have to wait and see if I am included in that bunch.  They are not allowing for early retirement.

I hope you all have a decent emergency savings fund. If not, cobble together what you can ASAP. Many companies have already had to cut back their employment costs and many, many more will still have to be doing that.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully, it won't be that long.  But, I did laugh a little when you wrote a decent emergency fund.  I wish I had one of those.  I have some, but not anywhere near enough to make the 3-6 months that is often suggested...still working on paying down debt.  I'm extremely fortunate in that I work in an industry and a position where I can work from home and is not likely to lay off or furlough anyone because of this kind of crisis.  It would have to take a lot more to do that.  I'm more likely to get laid off as a part of a sale than a pandemic.  I wish you good luck and and hopefully you'll come through okay.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Sorry to hear that, hopefully, it won't be that long.  But, I did laugh a little when you wrote a decent emergency fund.  I wish I had one of those.  I have some, but not anywhere near enough to make the 3-6 months that is often suggested...still working on paying down debt.  I'm extremely fortunate in that I work in an industry and a position where I can work from home and is not likely to lay off or furlough anyone because of this kind of crisis.  It would have to take a lot more to do that.  I'm more likely to get laid off as a part of a sale than a pandemic.  I wish you good luck and and hopefully you'll come through okay.  

Thanks. I will be fine. I work with people that will feel it considerably more intensely. For many, a 7% pay cut will cut away 50% or more of their discretionary spending. For the ones in the worst shape, they don't even have 7% discretionary in their budgets as they have plenty debt payments and other non-discretionary ongoing expenses.

Edited by Cearbhall

I think this is really going to make 2008-09 look like good times if the banks and the fed act in any similar way. Fortunately, we’ve seen a lot of large banks showing that they learned some lessons then. The government too. The question will be how long they can keep these measures in place, and whether it will be enough.  

If everyone (banks and businesses included) treated these months as a collective blip (forbearances without fees or accumulated interest) and just resumed as though nothing had happened 3 months after all this is over, I think we’d stand a much better chance at a faster recovery.   

On 4/10/2020 at 10:28 AM, Cearbhall said:

My employer is also going to furlough an unspecified number of employees starting April 20th.  I'll have to wait and see if I am included in that bunch.

They don't make me wait long. They finished the bad news dump Friday by letting us know that we have 6 weeks of furlough in addition to the 7% cut in pay. Overall, that looks like about a 25% pay cut for me this year, but I get 6 additional weeks of vacation to go with that. I'll still be fine, but anxiety is quite high for a lot of people.

Edited by Cearbhall

My workplace is promising an extra $2 an hour for anyone who works during this month. The downside is that a lot of employees are no longer getting scheduled at all, including me. Glad I don't have a family to support or I'm not sure what I'd do.