aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

According to the charges, Rupert posted messages on his Facebook account about the Minneapolis protests after the Memorial Day death of Floyd. In one message posted Thursday, he said, “I’m going to Minneapolis tomorrow who coming only goons I’m renting hotel rooms.”

Friday, he posted a cell phone video his Facebook in which he can be seen passing out explosive devices to others, encouraging them to throw them at law enforcement. He also actively damages property in the video and lit a building on fire before looting other businesses.

In the video, Rupert can be heard telling other rioters that he has explosives to throw at SWAT team members. He is seen handing an item with “brown casing and a green wick” to another person in the crowd. H

He can also be seen asking for lighter fluid before running into a Sprint store. After he enters the store he says, “I lit it on fire.”

The video shows Rupert looting an Office Depot location as well.

https://www.fox9.com/news/illinois-man-federally-charged-for-rioting-passed-out-explosives-in-minneapolis

There’s stupid. Then there’s this guy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

This statement is so far removed from reality and beyond tone deaf that I can barely imagine how this "man" functions on a day to day basis. What an embarrassment to the entire state and good officers everywhere.

I actually know Bob Kroll.  We served together in the same Military Police unit in the Army Reserve out at Fort Snelling and Rochester back in the mid-late 80s.  I haven't seen him for 30+ years, however.  In any case, I can agree with some of what he says in the letter about what a tough job the cops have had to do over the last few days in Minneapolis.  What they have been up against is unprecedented in the history of our city. 

At the same time, I can't imagine how George Floyd's past criminal record has any bearing on the situation.  Why even bring it up?  As someone who has had MP training, I have to say that it didn't matter if they had apprehended, Charles Manson, Hannibal the Cannibal Lechter, or the Abominable Snowman.  Once he was cuffed and lying on the ground, there was ZERO justification for kneeling on the back of that man's neck.  That was clearly excessive force and that cannot be condoned. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think we need to be a little careful about what we believe.  This is ridiculous.

All you need to do is open your eyes and watch the videos. The terrorists are in plain sight hiding behind the veil of “law and order”.

This forum stared in 2004 and has always had a no politics rule.  This rule isn’t going to change.  We don’t allow political discussion on this forum because it is far too polarizing and will cause conflicts and resentments that will destroy the community.  I’ve moderated sports communities for decades.  I believe I do an excellent job of keeping this community on topic and focused on good football discussion.  I would be a terrible political moderator and the political bickering would tear our community apart.

Politics and everything going on in the world is a lot more important than football and what we focus on at FootballsFuture.com, but that doesn’t mean we should discuss these things here.  In fact, many members want a politics free zone now more than ever.  Most media outlets use political divide to boost ratings.  Almost every social media site is nothing but political talk.   This site will remain politics free.    

Does avoiding politics on FootballsFuture.com mean you should put your head in the sand and avoid the whole mess?  Of course not!  If you are unhappy, do something about it.  Get out there and protest peacefully.  Contact your representatives and voice your concerns.  Most importantly…. Vote!  Learn the issues.  Support people who you feel will make things better and VOTE!  When you need a break from politics and want to do something less important and hopefully more relaxing log in to Footballsfuture.com.  I will be here doing my best to lead you in quality football discussion.  

I will open this topic back up in a few days.

• Like 11

Still a mess in my neighborhood. Nobody's out protesting around here but most of the local businesses (except for Target, which reopened Saturday) are shut down anyway. The only restaurants open are a few drive-thrus and they all had wraparound lines. Even the pizza places aren't delivering because of the citywide curfew--which the protesters aren't following anyway, so all it's really done is inconvenience the rest of us.

Add the COVID-19 pandemic which is still out there, and this is shaping up to be a pretty terrible year. :(

How can doctors get away with maleficence? They are physicians. They seemingly always win. Physician's facing harrowing abuse allegations get off light again and again.

Doctors are shielded by hospitals and state medical boards. When prosecutors do step in, doctors usually manage to avoid prison, avoid felony records, and stay off sex offender registries making medical boards less likely to pull their license to practice. Why is that?

Felony sexual cases are pled down to misdemeanors. Doctor's have attorneys that are good negotiators.  Their attorney's are better than what the average person has that is in the system. If you get a felony reduced to a misdemeanor you're not listed as a sex offender. Sometimes doctors don't have any charges stick at all.

Not at all unlike law enforcement having bad apples, the medical community employs more than their share of bad apples as well. Do they self police well? How do doctors get away with things over and over? Do they believe they are above the law? Not at all unlike law enforcement, some of them seem to believe just that. Why?

Cases have low priority. In some states groping is just a misdemeanor. Evidence can by flimsy. There are no body cameras in the doctor's office so it ends up being a patient's word against the doctor's word. Physicians can claim they were performing legitimate procedures which the patient misinterpreted. Cases can fall apart when victims decide not to testify, perhaps because they get spooked or perhaps because the doctor comes to an out-of-court settlement with the victim. Doctors have more ability to buy their way out of situations than law enforcement officers. Prosecutors are not cavalier with public money. They want to bring cases they have a good chance of winning. While they (the DAs) are concerned about use of public money doctors bring to cases the best legal representation money can buy. It is very expensive to prosecute them (the doctors) so charges are often dropped when odds of conviction are weighed against the cost of proceeding with charges.

Then when cases do get further along the doctor has no priors on the record so they don't have have a record that can be used to impugn their character. Prosecutors don't believe that a jury can be swayed to convict a nice looking, well spoken, highly intelligent physician. Even more than law enforcement, we are conditioned to trust and respect doctors.

All of this is why I believe there are occasional doctors, not at all unlike occasional police officers, that act as if they are above the law. Both doctors and law enforcement get away with it a high enough percentage of the time. The medical community does not police well when an institution is concerned about their reputation being harmed. They have a conflict of interest.

@Krauser This is all in response to your holding up doctors as an example of self-policing that can lead to more respect. I am not so sure doctors are an example that I would like the police to strive towards. Sure, when you are good enough at covering things up you may be more respected but that is not the system to strive for.

• Like 1

Are you kidding? 

Police are clubbing people in the streets and pepper spraying peaceful protestors and you're writing an essay for me about doctors supposedly being above the law? It's upsetting to think that this is what's been on your mind this week, waiting until the thread reopens so you can tell me about how doctors have it too good. Don't you have better things to worry about?

Doctors lose their licenses all the time. Those licenses are hard to get in the first place. I have no doubt that there are bad doctors but there is not a culture within medicine of defending wrongdoing and supporting deliberate harm to patients. 

I somehow missed the part where there was a nationwide protest against abusive doctors. There are lots of things medicine could and should do better at, but the problems with doctors aren't in the same ballpark as the culture of violence within the police, especially toward black people.

The point in the discussion wasn't your personal opinion of the medical profession, or mine. It was that the police need to establish some professional accountability to public safety. That means finding a way internally to restrain and discipline the "few bad apples".

If you don't like holding up medicine as an example of a regulated profession that has a responsibility to the public, fine -- pick a different profession. How about civil engineers, or airline pilots, or registered nurses? All of them have barriers to entry and registration that are harder to meet than getting a police badge. None of them have anything close the reputation the police do for deliberately harmful behaviour without accountability. 

• Like 1

Now, that that is done, if you wish to respond to @Krauser, @Cearbhall, you will need to take it to your DMs...I'd personally like this thread to remain open again, as I'm sure the mods would as well.  While these kinds of issues are certainly important, Webby made it clear that he wouldn't be a good moderator of it.  So, ask about anything else.  xD   

4 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Are you kidding? 

Police are clubbing people in the streets and pepper spraying peaceful protestors and you're writing an essay for me about doctors supposedly being above the law? It's upsetting to think that this is what's been on your mind this week, waiting until the thread reopens so you can tell me about how doctors have it too good. Don't you have better things to worry about?

No. I was under the impression we were not to discuss racial injustice in this thread.

It seems you are concerned about me talking about doctors and you would rather we talk about some other profession. To that, let me remind you that you are the ones that brought doctors up. If you brought up some other profession, I might have discussed the other profession as well. They all have their warts.