aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

33 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

True, it is definitely considered an all-time classic by people that are familiar with music history or that time period, but I would guess the majority of people (especially younger generations) don't know who Carole King is, or only know a song or two. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Watching the World Series. Analytics have ruined baseball. Dusty Baker pulled a pitcher throwing a no-hitter in THE WORLD SERIES. 

There were other things that ruined baseball for me, but the overemphasis on analytics is what will probably never get me back.  For pitching, it ruins the ability to ever identify with one, as they all appear to be replaceable robots...pitch 5-6, get pulled, then have a relief pitcher basically every inning after.  For hitting, it's not entertaining to watch singles, HRs and Ks.  There is no real strategy any longer, it's look at the analytics and see what that tells you to do.  Baseball has become the real American passed-time.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

There were other things that ruined baseball for me, but the overemphasis on analytics is what will probably never get me back.  For pitching, it ruins the ability to ever identify with one, as they all appear to be replaceable robots...pitch 5-6, get pulled, then have a relief pitcher basically every inning after.  For hitting, it's not entertaining to watch singles, HRs and Ks.  There is no real strategy any longer, it's look at the analytics and see what that tells you to do.  Baseball has become the real American passed-time.    

These days I only follow baseball when the Cubs are doing well.

Just now, vike daddy said:

the most boring sports micro event to me is watching batters foul off balls over and over......

Do they even do that anymore?  It's better than watching every player be Rob Deer or Pete Incaviglia...whiff, whiff, whiff or boom!  And what does the leading base-stealer get any more, 30 a season? 

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Do they even do that anymore?  It's better than watching every player be Rob Deer or Pete Incaviglia...whiff, whiff, whiff or boom!  And what does the leading base-stealer get any more, 30 a season? 

41 was the high this year. Only 6 guys had 30. 

Baseball was my first favorite sport, but it's just unwatchable anymore. I still love going to games, but that's more for the full ballpark experience than anything.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I still love going to games, but that's more for the full ballpark experience than anything.

yes, when it's just a middling kind of game with distracted fans and a hitter sounds a mighty crack at the ball, tens of thousands of people react the same way at the same time. it's like a flock of birds.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

41 was the high this year. Only 6 guys had 30. 

Baseball was my first favorite sport, but it's just unwatchable anymore. I still love going to games, but that's more for the full ballpark experience than anything.

I have to admit, I do like watching the Little League World Series.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...