aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

Snow?  What is that?  We haven't had more than a dusting here or there.  We had accumulation of maybe a full inch a couple of weeks ago when we had that cold snap, but it's all gone now.  They've gotten more snow in Georgia and the Carolinas than we've had here in Kansas.

The Viking Great Army may have finally been found.

A mass grave discovered in England in the 1980s was initially thought to be associated with the Vikings, but radiocarbon dating suggested that the skeletons belonged to different time periods.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/02/02/health/viking-graves-repton/?iid=ob_health_core_homepage

26 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

Does anyone else have issues with pages only loading the 1st post on the page and not the rest/most recent post?

It has happened to me a number of times in the last week. Sometimes it finishes loading if I wait long enough. Long enough seems to be a couple minutes. The strategy that works better for me is just hitting the reload button. Also lately I have had an issue when loading the main forum index page it only loads the NFL News Frame that I see on the right side. When it does this, that frame spans the entire screen. Again, hammering the reload button until it loads right is the solution that has worked.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

It has happened to me a number of times in the last week. Sometimes it finishes loading if I wait long enough. Long enough seems to be a couple minutes. The strategy that works better for me is just hitting the reload button. Also lately I have had an issue when loading the main forum index page it only loads the NFL News Frame that I see on the right side. When it does this, that frame spans the entire screen. Again, hammering the reload button until it loads right is the solution that has worked.

I've never had the first post only show up, but I've had that NFL News frame show up across the screen several times...I do the same as you, I just reload the page.  

34 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I've never had the first post only show up, but I've had that NFL News frame show up across the screen several times...I do the same as you, I just reload the page.  

Coincidentally, just this morning in this very thread I had it only load the first post on the page. I just saw the message from The Gnat. Since I knew better, and since the browser didn't finish loading the page, I reloaded and got the rest of the thread. I only waited maybe 30 seconds this time. My speculation is that if I would have went to get coffee and come back the rest of the messages on this page would have loaded. Something on the server seems to block until a timeout is hit then I get the rest of the page loaded. It is only very occasional. I don't know if the server is load balanced and the behavior depends on which server the load balancer has serve the page to me or something. That would explain why it only happens some of the time if it is only one misbehaving server. Without access to the server logs I can only speculate. It may be something else that triggers it. It may be browser specific. I use Chrome. 

Late Add: I was just able to replicate the behavior by reloading this page until it happened again. Unfortunately, I didn't count how many times I clicked reload but it was maybe 10 times of it loading fine before I get the blocking behavior after the first message loaded. This time I bothered myself to wait out the rest of the load and started the stopwatch on my phone. It took just over 3 minutes and the rest of the posts loaded. I do not know what has a three minute timeout. I'll try to start the stopwatch again next time I see this to see if the three minutes is consistent. It it is waiting for something to timeout I would expect the delay to be fairly consistent.

Later add: I just reloaded the page 30 times without the behavior replicating.

Edited by Cearbhall
Late add. Then, Later Add

My hypothesis is that the delay is caused by the ad network. Looking at some details, there is this blocking JavaScript: https://s.tribalfusion.com/displayAd.js

There seems to be an ad that shows up after the first post on a page followed by the rest of the page.

To test my hypothesis, I'll be interested to see whether an ad shows up after the first post and before the rest. If it times out, there shouldn't be an ad there. I did not bother to notice after waiting a bit over three minutes earlier this morning whether and ad was displayed there.

A potential way to remedy the situation if this hypothesis proves right would be to remove the call. Since it is client side it can be eliminated. However, someone has to pay for the website. It would be better if it was able to pull the ad in a reasonably time efficient manner. A solution to consider for whoever writes the software that is used for this site is to asynchronously load the resource or defer the loading of the resource until after the rest of the content loads. Since the call is to an external script, it would be about finding a different way to make that call.

Since the two times it happened this morning I have not seen this behavior so I cannot test my hypothesis. It has been happening periodically to me so I'll see it soon enough. In the meantime, if anyone else has the page pause loading after the first post on the page if you are willing to wait the entire time for the rest to load pay attention to whether that ad comes through. If it does, rather than a timeout it might just be that slow or there may be something else going on.

Edited by Cearbhall