aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Who are the beer connoisseurs on here, who live in Minnesota?

Looking for some cool ideas of places to take my wife, while also upping my beer game. 

Do you have a preferred style of beer? Either way, you can't go wrong with NE Minneapolis. They have a nice concentration of taprooms. Able, Indeed, Bauhaus, and 612 are all within about a block of each other. Not too far from them is Dangerous Man(Probably the best of them that I've listed), Headflyer, Pryes, and Sociable Ciderwerks(if you're into Cider but their beer is okay too). Go a little bit further north into Columbia Heights and you have Fair State, 56, and Broken Clock. The latter two I'd highly recommend if you like IPAs.

Another fun option, if you're into baseball, might be going to a Twins game and hitting up Modist and Fulton before and/or afterward since they're both right next to the stadium.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Who are the beer connoisseurs on here, who live in Minnesota?

Looking for some cool ideas of places to take my wife, while also upping my beer game. 

I'd recommend making a weekend of it and going up to Duluth to visit Bent Paddle, Blacklist, Hoops and Castle Danger (in Two Harbors). 

If you are staying in the Cities: 

1. Utepils, West Minneapolis (** I'm biased)

2. Surly, East Minneapolis 

3. Enki, Chanhassen 

4. Unmapped, Eden Prairie

5. Pryes, NE Minneapolis 

6. Dangerous Man, NE Minneapolis

7. Venn, SE Minneapolis

8. Excelsior, Excelsior 

9. Badger Hill, Shokapee 

10. LTD Bewing, Hopkins

@SemperFeist

My Top 10 for Breweries:

1. Insight Brewing
2. Headflyer
3. Indeed
4. Fair State
5. East Lake
6. Wild Mind Ales
7. Enki
8. Sociable Ciderwerks
9. Pryes
10. Venn

Most Overrated: Surly

Why is Surly very overrated?

It's not really going to a brewery, it's going to a restaurant that happens to serve only their own beer. The place is big, crowded, and mainly annoyingly loud. The food is good, but not great, and overall I'm not that impressed with it. Surly has solid beer, but isn't that great overall and is easily accessible for the most part.

Bent Brewstillery is interesting as well, though I don't like their beers as much as others.

• Like 1

@SemperFeist

Also, some of the beers to check out while you are out and about:

Insight - Crazy Aunt (gin and tonic beer)
Sunken City (wine barrel beer)
Gravity Well (only in winter, but barrel aged wonder)
Splendid Moose (nice NE pale ale)
Anything really, their beer is splendid and all over the map in a great way.

Indeed - Lucy Session Sour (light sour beer)
Daytripper (basic, solid IPA)
Lavender, Sunflower Honey, and Dates (aka LSD)

Venn - C-Hop (good IPA)
Mounds Stout (Small pour only, but tastes like a mounds bar)
Pineapple Sour (amazing)

Sociable Ciderwerks - Hop a Wheelie (hopped cider)

Fair State - Roselle

Fulton - 300 (nice IPA)

Burning Bros - Pyro (gluten free IPA)

That's a good tasting list to start. Also, anything that seems to be tap only, always worth checking out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Have you had the Rowdy Uncle yet? It's really good imo

Don't like it quite as well as Crazy Aunt, but I am a fan of ginger and Rowdy Uncle gives you that in spades. It's a nice beer, but I can't drink a four pack in a sitting like I can with Crazy Aunt mainly.

Just got back stateside (currently stuck in the Newark airport) after 74 days over in Europe between Poland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, England, France, Switzerland, and Germany....

I’m ready for the real kind of football now...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Just got back stateside (currently stuck in the Newark airport) after 74 days over in Europe between Poland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, England, France, Switzerland, and Germany....

I’m ready for the real kind of football now...

I was just about to give you a Like until you threw that last sentence in there. ¬¬

• Like 2

On 6/19/2018 at 11:19 AM, The Gnat said:

Most Overrated: Surly

Why is Surly very overrated?

It's not really going to a brewery, it's going to a restaurant that happens to serve only their own beer. The place is big, crowded, and mainly annoyingly loud. The food is good, but not great, and overall I'm not that impressed with it. Surly has solid beer, but isn't that great overall and is easily accessible for the most part.

I agree that Surly is the most overrated, but at the same time if someone is coming from out of town, I would still probably suggest Surly. It is a tourist destination. It is big and impressive, they have lots of food options, great outdoor space, etc.. I wouldn't say it is the most enjoyable, and I don't go there unless there is an event there, but it is definitely worth seeing at least once. 

It is the Mall of America of breweries.