aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

On 8/9/2018 at 7:14 AM, VikeManDan said:

Can't wait until we play them week 8.

I'm happy to report that I just bought tickets to that game!  It will be the first game I've gone to since the days of Doleman and Millard when I saw them beat up on the Detroit Lions.  I'll be two rows from the field on the Saint's side, so definitely within earshot of my least favorite NFL coach - Sean "Cheatey Face" Payton.  I'll try to get on Kamara's nerves too.  Bwahahaha.  Can't wait!   :D

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 3

Life update: I took the first step in moving and toured an apartment. Took a long lunch, caught bus to and from the apartment and made it back to work in just over an hour. Based purely on the location, I loved it but not sure I'm ready to pay that cost yet. I need to buy some more money. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Life update: I took the first step in moving and toured an apartment. Took a long lunch, caught bus to and from the apartment and made it back to work in just over an hour. Based purely on the location, I loved it but not sure I'm ready to pay that cost yet. I need to buy some more money. 

Just grow a money tree real quick?

I wouldn't say I totally hate my job or the people, but it's just a job right now and I feel like I'm just staying put because I feel like my job is pretty secure. I don't really have friends or family around here, so I just feel isolated.

• Like 1

I don't love my job, I don't hate my job, but it pays me well.  I actually just wish it would challenge me a little more.  The one thing I don't much care for is living here in the KC area.  It's alright, but it's not Seattle and it's not Minnesota.  The people here aren't all that friendly, but they aren't all that unfriendly either.  They just appear to be living in their own bubbles and have no consideration for anyone (although that's probably true in most places these days).  

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm in a very similar position, so I understand. Been with them 6 years, it is time for a change.

I just have a disheartening outlook on job searches I guess.

Same...almost 7 years on the job. I have zero desire to continue working in the Tech Field at my next job.

1 minute ago, TENINCH said:

Same...almost 7 years on the job. I have zero desire to continue working in the Tech Field at my next job.

Only worked at my current job for 4+ years, but recently realized that next year one-quarter of my life will have been living in my current apartment. Realizing that woke me up as to what I really want to do, and it's not where I'm at now.

• Like 2

Love watching Dalvin Cook on Instagram making fun of or laughing at Stacey Coley. Most of it is because Coley went to Miami and Cook went to FSU. A lot of his videos are him sitting off in some corner video taping Coley doing something weird. 

Edited by TENINCH

I really encourage anyone that still has to work for a paycheck, especially if they don't love their job, to work hard towards financial independence to buy freedom. It is the best purchase you will ever make. Even if you love your job it is important as things can -- and likely will -- change. All it takes is a change in who the boss is and a job you love can become something that you dread.

A strategy that I can suggest: First, learn a valuable skill and get a high paying job. For me it was a job with a big software company out of college. I didn't love the job but it paid quite nicely. I stuck with it too long. I wish I realized earlier that the goal of this job was not to earn money to spend going out on weekends and restaurants all the time. Don't spend all the money you make. The higher percentage you save the sooner you'll be free to find employment doing what you like without respect for earnings rather than being forced to work for the money. 

If you still need to work for someone else to pay your necessary bills you are basically an indentured servant. When you leave college, don't inflate your spending to your new salary. If you are like me you were very happy with your level of spending in college. If you are really hardcore keep your spending exactly as it was through college. For sure when you get new jobs, raises, promotions and such invest at least half of your additional take home pay. Live on half of your take home pay and you'll easily be free to do whatever you want after 20 years of the grind. If that sounds like too much, and it does to me now although I took that long, save a higher percentage. You can be done with mandatory work in just a decade of your life if you can get to a 70% savings rate. Take tips from The Richest Man in Babylon.

If even 10 years of grinding sounds like too much, and after being through the grind I can see a strong argument that it is, take tips from The Mexican fisherman

Work income being mandatory for your survival is an unfortunate place to be in life IMO. It is a shame to waste your life energy doing things that you don't really want to be doing. As you get older you'll realize that time is a most valuable resource and you can't really buy more of it with money. Health is the other key factor. Eat well, exercise, take care of yourself and hope for the best.

Good luck!

• Like 2

My job is great, I’ve literally done about everything, an have actually loved about everywhere I’ve worked.

im a different cat I guess, started out pullin’ heffers as a kid and walkin’ bean fields pickin weeds every spring/summer. (I’m only 27, so it’s a rarity someone my age ever had to do either of these) I loved it. I liked to work as a kid, maybe it was the burning energy but I loved to do anything on the farm.

My ole man and Ma lived in Alaska but we came down to Minnesota every spring and fall to help out.

As I grew, in the time I wasn’t down here My old man was a master electrician, I worked under him until I went to college and actually went and got my journeyman’s. I loved it, something about having to actually think about my job I just loved

college came around, I decided I wanted to do something different. My freshman year in the cities I worked for a construction company. We did everything from building houses to hog/cattle barns. I wanted to gain experience for something I could use in life.

during school I actually worked at a retail store called The Buckle. Yayayaya give me crap, affliction, expensive yadda yadda yadda, but I actually met the girl I’m going to marry come September 1st. So I guess the one job I didn’t LOVE found me love. 

The last 4 years of school, I decided I wanted to do something that would help me with my education. I started working for a heavy equipment company, got my CDL, and ran an excavator and a blade and did everything from building roads to digging pits, basements and footings for hospitals, and laying pipe. Absolutely my most fun job, but the money wasn’t there, but I learned so much for what I was going to school for. 

I now work for a civil engineering firm my uncle is apart of. I make money I want, I do what I wanted to do, and live a happy life. 

One thing I would always advise, is to tell you younger fellas, don’t be afraid to learn new things. Go after things. Find out what you like. Become a “jack” as certain things, you don’t need to master one thing, but be good at everything you need for your job and employers love that and you will find out how much more fun that makes your job, and how much more money you can make.

Money doesn’t buy happiness, but money sure does buy me a lot of things that make me happy.

• Like 2