aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

7 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Anyone else going to the Minnesota State Fair (The Great Minnesota Sweat Together)? If so, what are some of your favorite things to do/eat there. My wife, I, and a group of friends are going on Saturday, which looks like it should be a great day, so probably 260+k people through the gates. It'll be inane, but it's always fun, and we make most of a day of it, going around noon and then leaving around 9 or 10. We have our favorite foods to get, deep fried brie, cheese curds, fried mashed potatoes on a stick, and we generally try a new thing or two, plus the beer from the Ag building. We'll stick around late so we can catch a little bit of the free Foghat show on the Leinies stage.

I went on Saturday. The Walleye Cakes from Giggles Campfire Grill are one of my favorite things at the fair, plus there's a coupon for them if you bought the book. I also tried the Duck Bacon Wontons there and they were great. I didn't get anything out of the ordinary, just the "normal" foods and beers. The Gizmo Sandwich is really tasty. 

This is the first year I'm not going in 6-7 years. The one thing I always get are the beef kebabs from this little stand near the food building (right across from the baseball themed restaurant/bar)  that has kebabs and turkey legs. They are just always my favorite thing. Also the corn and cheese curds.

10 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Anyone else going to the Minnesota State Fair (The Great Minnesota Sweat Together)? If so, what are some of your favorite things to do/eat there. My wife, I, and a group of friends are going on Saturday, which looks like it should be a great day, so probably 260+k people through the gates. It'll be inane, but it's always fun, and we make most of a day of it, going around noon and then leaving around 9 or 10. We have our favorite foods to get, deep fried brie, cheese curds, fried mashed potatoes on a stick, and we generally try a new thing or two, plus the beer from the Ag building. We'll stick around late so we can catch a little bit of the free Foghat show on the Leinies stage.

260 thousand people.  Sheesh!  It's gonna be a slow ride home.

Edited by cckoonie

We used to go almost every year when I was a kid, but since I don't live there, I've only been there twice in the last 20 years (once when my daughter was a year old...she's 19 now and about 5 years ago just after I got married).  I would always advise to take the park and ride though, as that's what my wife and I did that last time.  There's absolutely no reason to get caught up in that mess...and have to pay extra to do so.  :D

The State Fair was a blast on Saturday, but so crowded, 6k short of the record, but 254k is still a lot of people. Tried a lot of fun foods and beers and had a blast. We had a nice group of people, so that was a bit tricky to keep track of at times, but meant that we were able to try more foods and beers.

Mini-Donut Beer - great

S'Mores Beer - Just normal, and the extra stuff, not needed for it

Maple Bacon Beer - Normal solid beer

Pickle Beer - Surprisingly good, tasted like an EPA with pickle juice

On 9/4/2017 at 7:41 AM, Klomp said:

It's up to the guys who started them previously.

I wouldn't mind hosting the defense game again but I will be too busy to update it every week. I would either have to tag team it or people would have to be okay with having it updated every few weeks. 

A study of the skeletal remains of an influential Viking military leader ― who was long-assumed to be a man ― revealed that she is actually a woman. 

“Aside from the complete warrior equipment buried along with her ― a sword, an axe, a spear, armor-piercing arrows, a battle knife, shields, and two horses ― she had a board game in her lap, or more of a war-planning game used to try out battle tactics and strategies, which indicates she was a powerful military leader,” Hedenstierna-Jonson said. “She’s most likely planned, led and taken part in battles.” 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dna-test-reveals-powerful-viking-warrior-was-actually-a-woman_us_59b68b72e4b0b5e531078e5b?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

52b5708d0af5572d6e8a4bf87166d8a7268a1356

Edited by disaacs

On Friday, September 15, around 7:55 am EDT, NASA will watch its 20-year-old, $4 billion-plus spacecraft crash into Saturn. The space agency really has no other choice. Cassini is nearly out of fuel, and has already been stretched years beyond its intended mission duration. What’s more, keeping it going risks potentially contaminating one of Saturn’s moons — like Enceladus, an ice world that has some ingredients for life, or Titan, a dynamic moon where it rains methane — with microbes from Earth.

And so the spacecraft will end its existence by literally going where no human-made object has gone before: into Saturn’s atmosphere.But up through its very last moments, Cassini will be conducting a scientific investigation. As it descends into Saturn’s atmosphere, several of its instruments will be on, including the mass spectrometer, which can essentially “sniff” the atmosphere and determine the chemical compounds therein.

Cassini has made discoveries that have changed our understanding of Saturn and the cosmos at large. The spacecraft discovered whole new moons around Saturn, lakes of methane on Titan, jets of water erupting from Enceladus, and has made extremely detailed observations of the planet’s rings, an environment believed to be similar to the rings of debris that formed the entire solar system.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/9/13/16294502/cassini-finale-2017-saturn-rings-crash-nasa