aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

3 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

When I proposed I had been dating my wife for 4 years. I told her that I wasn't from Wisconsin and that I would never be as boring as driving through the state of Illinois and my genetics were really good. Then I asked her if she would marry me. She said yes without even thinking.

If you think driving through Illinois is boring, you haven't driven through Eastern Montana or Western Kansas.  

4 minutes ago, Klomp said:

The worst!

I've driven through all 3 discussed...and you might be right...I'm still waffling though on whether Montana or Kansas are worse, but Illinois is far and away better than those 2, even as boring as it is.  

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If you think driving through Illinois is boring, you haven't driven through Eastern Montana or Western Kansas.  

At 22 I hadn't yet. My dad lives in Hardin Montana though so we did drive out there to see him. 

Just now, swede700 said:

I've driven through all 3 discussed...and you might be right...I'm still waffling though on whether Montana or Kansas are worse, but Illinois is far and away better than those 2, even as boring as it is.  

Part of the problem of eastern Montana is it comes right after western North Dakota, which is almost as brutal to drive through. Back-to-back is just torture.

8 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I live just south in EP, but I go up to Hopkins all the time. It would be a good place to live. Easy access to 494, 169, 100, 394 and 62. Right on the bike trail to Minneapolis.  "Downtown" Hopkins has a nice small town feel. LTD brewing and Copperwing distillery are both really good.

I like/liked Hopkins. I graduated high school there (high school is actually located in Minnetonka ), but that was a hundred years ago.

Just now, Klomp said:

Part of the problem of eastern Montana is it comes right after western North Dakota, which is almost as brutal to drive through. Back-to-back is just torture.

True...I made the drive on 94 all the way to Seattle when I moved there back in '00.  It was awful.  Absolutely nothing between Glendive and Billings.  

3 minutes ago, Klomp said:

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

True...I made the drive on 94 all the way to Seattle when I moved there back in '00.  It was awful.  Absolutely nothing between Glendive and Billings.  

When I drove through Western North Dakota to visit my dad we went by Teddy Roosevelt national park. Very cool scenery there. West North Dakota wasn't bad for me at all. Montana I thought was nice until we actually got to the town of Hardin and saw how crappy the town was. 

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Oh, most of the times I've been through there we're heading to Great Falls, so we take the shorter route by going straight west of Glendive instead of following I-94. 

16 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

When I drove through Western North Dakota to visit my dad we went by Teddy Roosevelt national park. Very cool scenery there. West North Dakota wasn't bad for me at all. Montana I thought was nice until we actually got to the town of Hardin and saw how crappy the town was. 

Painted Canyon is beautiful! So beautiful that I named my band after it. :D

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

after another 200 miles or so west you actually get in to Montana.

Many years ago, I read a book written by a couple who had bicycled across the country.  They started in Oregon and ended on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.  Anyway, part of the book was about their trek through western Montana and North Dakota.  The writers talked about it being flat, straight, constant head wind and blazing sun.  The bickered and fought through a state and a half.  When they finally got to the Minnesota state line and crossed over, there was a curve in the road.  They credit a curve in Minnesota for saving their marriage!  Wish I could remember the name of that book.  I really would like to read it again!!