aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

I always knew I made the right decision not watching Game of Thrones. I watched a little bit, but it never really grabbed my attention and I never cared about most of the characters. Now maybe people will talk about a good TV show, not sure what that will be, but maybe.

• Like 1

The biggest problem with GoT was that they had a near infinite amount of source material to work with the first 6 seasons. They could dive deep. Once they ran past the books and realized they only had two seasons to tie up this elaborate universe that had been created, they had put their foot on the gas.  The show was great because of how involved it got. This last season tarnishes it a bit, but I think that happens when you don't know how long the show will go when you start. To me, that's what made True Detective (Season 1) perhaps the best single season of television I've seen. It was an elongated mini-series. They knew exactly where they were going and how much time they had to get there.

There were too many questions left unanswered, but perhaps we'll have a couple of spin-offs that bring some of that home. 

All in all, I've never enjoyed a television series as much as this one.

21 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Game of Thrones was a good TV show. One of the best. The ending left something to be desired IMO, but the doesn't diminish the quality of the rest of the show.

Seasons 1-4 were absolutely some of the best TV ever made. Season 5 was still pretty great too. Seasons 6-7 were sort of a train wreck and where the cracks in the terrible writing started to show. Season 8 was an unmitigated dumpster fire.

It was incredibly shameful how Benioff and Weiss packed it in for the last 2 seasons. HBO offered them pretty much a blank check to make 20 episodes to finish the series, and but after they got the offer to run Star Wars they completely stopped caring and only wanted to do 12 episodes.

It is pretty shocking to see how open the actors have been with their criticism of them (not listening to criticism on the writing, only showing up to set once a week while everyone else was shooting 50+ nights in a row, etc). 

Even the "behind the scenes" after each episode show just how little thought they put into the writing in the last season. They openly admit they are just going for shock value and setting up "moments", not writing coherent plots and character development that made the show great.

It is really sad to see, because the acting, editing, effects, music, costumes, sets, etc. are all absolutely incredible, but the overall impact is completely lost because none of it makes any sense, and the characters are shells of what they were a few seasons ago.

By far the biggest fall from grace since the last season of Dexter.

5 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Seasons 1-4 were absolutely some of the best TV ever made. Season 5 was still pretty great too. Seasons 6-7 were sort of a train wreck and where the cracks in the terrible writing started to show. Season 8 was an unmitigated dumpster fire.

It was incredibly shameful how Benioff and Weiss packed it in forthe last 2 seasons. HBO offered them pretty much offered them a blank check to make 20 episodes to finish the series, and but after they got the offer to run Star Wars they completely stopped caring and only wanted to do 12 episodes.

It is pretty shocking to see how open the actors have been with their criticism of them (not listening to criticism on the writing, only showing up to set once a week while everyone else was shooting 50+ nights in a row, etc). 

Even the "behind the scenes" after each episode show just how little thought they put into the writing in the last season. They openly admit they are just going for shock value and setting up "moments", not writing coherent plots and character development that made the show great.

It is really sad to see, because the acting, editing, effects, music, costumes, sets, etc. are all absolutely incredible, but the overall impact is completely lost because none of it makes any sense, and the characters are shells of what they were a few seasons ago.

By far the biggest fall from grace since the last season of Dexter.

Did you watch the show week by week, or did you come in late and binge it?

55 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I always knew I made the right decision not watching Game of Thrones. I watched a little bit, but it never really grabbed my attention and I never cared about most of the characters. Now maybe people will talk about a good TV show, not sure what that will be, but maybe.

You watched more than I did.  I don't have HBO and I'm not getting the HBO GO app for one show.  Of course, I'm out of the loop on most of these "cult" shows.  I've never watched the Wire, the Sopranos or GoT at all...I think I saw the first couple of episodes of Breaking Bad and I watched the first episode of the Walking Dead twice and have never seen another one.  I find myself watching less and less TV every year.  Hell, I think I'm down to a handful of shows I watch, and even then they'll probably be dropping off as they end (joining the BBT, Crazy-Ex Girlfriend and Elementary after this season) 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Did you watch the show week by week, or did you come in late and binge it?

Every week. Season 8 probably would be better if you just binge it though, because when you have time to actually think about what happened after each episode, it doesn't hold up well. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Once they ran past the books and realized they only had two seasons to tie up this elaborate universe that had been created, they had put their foot on the gas. 

This, but also HBO screwed up by deciding not to pay their actors. Had they been willing to pay their actors and get 10!episodes in seasons 7 and 8, the writers would have been able to do a lot more. 

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

You watched more than I did.  I don't have HBO and I'm not getting the HBO GO app for one show.  Of course, I'm out of the loop on most of these "cult" shows.  I've never watched the Wire, the Sopranos or GoT at all...I think I saw the first couple of episodes of Breaking Bad and I watched the first episode of the Walking Dead twice and have never seen another one.  I find myself watching less and less TV every year.  Hell, I think I'm down to a handful of shows I watch, and even then they'll probably be dropping off as they end (joining the BBT, Crazy-Ex Girlfriend and Elementary after this season) 

I am with you Swede, except I never saw an episode of Breaking Bad or the Walking Dead.  My wife and I are getting into British, Canadian and Australian TV shows...especially mysteries.  We are also enjoying watching documentaries.

1 minute ago, Virginia Viking said:

I am with you Swede, except I never saw an episode of Breaking Bad or the Walking Dead.  My wife and I are getting into British, Canadian and Australian TV shows...especially mysteries.  We are also enjoying watching documentaries.

I only saw those couple of episodes of Breaking Bad because my nephew was watching it.  And the Walking Dead just because my kids watched it.  :D

33 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

IMO, Breaking Bad is the single greatest TV series of all time. You guys are missing out.

I have no FOMO.  The only TV show in the last 20 years that I just couldn't miss was 24 (at least with Jack Bauer...I only watched about half of the episodes with that other guy).  I only missed one episode while live.  Since that time though, I've been hit and miss on most TV shows.    

I'm glad you don't have FOMO :) Are you opting not to watch it, or haven't gotten around to it? I find it interesting when people decide not to engage in wildly popular and critically acclaimed content. I didn't have HBO/Showtime until the past couple of years and it is staggering how much better the quality is on those networks compared to network and regular cable television.

• Like 1