aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

On 8/18/2020 at 9:25 AM, TENINCH said:

Hey guys I got my account back.

While I was out I was diagnosed with a tumor in my brain and had brain surgery last week, Surgery was the most painful thing I've been through but I'm glad to be ok. Can't wait for the Vikings season to start!!

How the heck did I miss this?  I'm shocked, but also very happy to hear the news that it sounds like the tumor was benign.  I hope you're back on the road to 100% health very soon.  In the meantime, if there is anything I can do for you, feel free to shoot me a PM.  I'll be praying for you, buddy.  Get well soon!

12 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

How the heck did I miss this?  I'm shocked, but also very happy to hear the news that it sounds like the tumor was benign.  I hope you're back on the road to 100% health very soon.  In the meantime, if there is anything I can do for you, feel free to shoot me a PM.  I'll be praying for you, buddy.  Get well soon!

It's not. I have type 3 brain cancer. Start radiation and chemo on the 14th. Thanks UB. I'll be ok. Plan to fight this until its gone.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

It's not. I have type 3 brain cancer. Start radiation and chemo on the 14th. Thanks UB. I'll be ok. Plan to fight this until its gone.

My stepmother is actually going through this too.  She just finished her chemo about a week ago.  I was really worried about that part for her because she is 85 years old.  I remember the days when chemotherapy was a truly horrible thing to go through.  Fortunately, she didn't have any problems with nausea or any other kind of reactions from it other than being tired.  Like you said, TENINCH, just fight this thing and YOU WILL be victorious!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

damn right. you gotta be an old man some day, it's the best!

Indeed!  Seriously...thinking about you!  Keep us informed about how your treatments are going.  I imagine you'd have a pretty good online support system right here!

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

My stepmother is actually going through this too.  She just finished her chemo about a week ago.  I was really worried about that part for her because she is 85 years old.  I remember the days when chemotherapy was a truly horrible thing to go through.  Fortunately, she didn't have any problems with nausea or any other kind of reactions from it other than being tired.  Like you said, TENINCH, just fight this thing and YOU WILL be victorious!

Hey UB glad to hear your mom is doing well. I lost my step dad about 10 years ago. He died of colon cancer. He had to do the chemo the old way. Sit in a room for 3 hours and stare at a wall while the chemo dripped into his body. He skipped appointments and eventually the cancer spread through his body. He was only 50 or 51 at the time. I just have to due the chemo pill and the radiation is a 15 minute appt 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Then i get a month off before doing it again just a little less often. Lucky my cancer stays in my head. 

15 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Hey UB glad to hear your mom is doing well. I lost my step dad about 10 years ago. He died of colon cancer. He had to do the chemo the old way. Sit in a room for 3 hours and stare at a wall while the chemo dripped into his body. He skipped appointments and eventually the cancer spread through his body. He was only 50 or 51 at the time. I just have to due the chemo pill and the radiation is a 15 minute appt 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Then i get a month off before doing it again just a little less often. Lucky my cancer stays in my head. 

Glad to hear you've got it easier than your step dad.  It sounds like your treatment is similar to my step mom's.  She took the chemo pills for 5 days and then got about 3 weeks off, and then repeated that for about 5-6 months.  Like I said, it made her tired - especially during the last couple of months, but a couple days after she quit taking the pills, she would get her strength back.  It was a relief to see how much easier it is now, compared to back in the old days.  I always remember the movie that Julia Roberts was in where she was a nurse to a guy who was going through it.  He would get violently ill, but then again, he also had Julia to nurse him back to health, so he had that going for him...which was nice.  :D 

A friend of mine who is an RN said that the difference between chemo nowadays compared to back then is that they are now able to concentrate it more to the area they want it to go, whereas, back in the day they just had to flood your whole body.

Anyway, please keep us up to date and let us know how you are doing.  As I said, I will definitely keep you in my prayers and I'm here for you if you need anything at all.  I mean that.

• Like 2