aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

as one of those guys who does/did that kind of stuff, I marketed myself through HomeAdvisor.com and did well. you might want to check out their site. there's no fee to you for the matching up of what you want, it's the contractors who are billed from HA.

I’ve had mostly good luck with home advisor. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

starting 3/30, everyone 16+ in MN will be eligible for a vaccine. 

And a good time to go to a vaccine location is towards the end of the day. If you don’t have an appointment, there’s a good chance they’ll have extra vaccines that didn’t get used that day. 

• Like 1

I think that American's regardless of their job should get 2 months paid vacation every year. Gives us time to vacation, explore, spend time with your family and meet people in your community. 

Make This Happen and bring back Blockbuster!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

I think that American's regardless of their job should get 2 months paid vacation every year. Gives us time to vacation, explore, spend time with your family and meet people in your community. 

Just take your vacation to Bend, OR, where the last Blockbuster is.  

11 hours ago, TENINCH said:

We also need to encourage Americans to take the vacation they actually do get and forbid employer retaliation for taking it. 

Frankly, there are a ton of things American business can do to increase productivity and employee happiness, but they're too set in their ways. Study after study shows 3 and 4 day workweeks increase productive hours and employee satisfaction, but everyone is stuck on 5 day/40 hour weeks.  Thirty days of vacation a year would be adequate if employers forced employees to take it, or didn't give the perception that an employee would somehow be punished for taking it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

We also need to encourage Americans to take the vacation they actually do get and forbid employer retaliation for taking it. 

Frankly, there are a ton of things American business can do to increase productivity and employee happiness, but they're too set in their ways. Study after study shows 3 and 4 day workweeks increase productive hours and employee satisfaction, but everyone is stuck on 5 day/40 hour weeks.  Thirty days of vacation a year would be adequate if employers forced employees to take it, or didn't give the perception that an employee would somehow be punished for taking it. 

Working less hours would require paying people a livable wage, but we can't have that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Working less hours would require paying people a livable wage, but we can't have that.

That too.

It's not even about working less hours though. Studies have shown that ten hour days, four days a week, lead to a happier and healthier workforce. Thirteen hour workdays tend to be less productive towards the end, but no less productive overall than your standard M-F, 9-5. 

But yes, stagnant wages are absolutely a problem. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

That too.

It's not even about working less hours though. Studies have shown that ten hour days, four days a week, lead to a happier and healthier workforce. Thirteen hour workdays tend to be less productive towards the end, but no less productive overall than your standard M-F, 9-5. 

But yes, stagnant wages are absolutely a problem. 

I work for a great company. Time off, Bonuses, Holidays all that good stuff. We tried to provide research and documentation that 4 - 10 hours days would improve production and moral among the employess and they wouldn't listen. These American companies are so used to 5 days of work that nothing can change that. Then I read about some of these foreign countries offering so many benefits and time away from work to "heal and better" yourself. 😢

We'll certainly know a whole lot more about productivity in the WFH scenarios that many of us are in and have been for quite some time now.   I find a lot of pros and cons to it, but the hybrid model will be here to stay no matter what hours they will encompass. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

We'll certainly know a whole lot more about productivity in the WFH scenarios that many of us are in and have been for quite some time now.   I find a lot of pros and cons to it, but the hybrid model will be here to stay no matter what hours they will encompass. 

There are a lot of pros to the working from home. The cons aren't negligible either though. With each passing day I feel increasingly disconnected from my teammates and the organization.  As far as productivity, I do feel like I am a lot more productive now. In fact, I am going to go get supper started right now. I couldn't achieve that kind of productivity before they kicked me out.

• Like 1