aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? ... It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. 

Martin Luther King Jr.

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Sadly, crap like this is going to continue to happen until we, as a society, start demanding a higher standard from the people that are supposed to protect and uphold the laws of our society. 

It is unfortunate, but I have said consistently just that.  Their standards shouldn't be lowered because of the elements that they are typically dealing with.  We should expect more from them because of their position.  If they can't handle those expectations, then they don't deserve have those positions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It is unfortunate, but I have said consistently just that.  Their standards shouldn't be lowered because of the elements that they are typically dealing with.  We should expect more from them because of their position.  If they can't handle those expectations, then they don't deserve have those positions.

Bingo

28 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

“I would’ve told him to f*** himself”: Reggie Miller is appalled by the idea of Michael Jordan recruiting him to the Chicago Bulls

This is what is missing in basketball today!

That's what's missing in most sports.  Players seem to be far too buddy-buddy these days.  The most evidence I've seen of anything similar is the KAT-Embiid spat.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I do think it's helpful to remember that, as posters on an anonymous message board, we might not all share the same "characteristics" and charged words like buffoonery may carry connotations which would be offensive to some. 

I would like to think that we all would be against riots.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I do think it's helpful to remember that, as posters on an anonymous message board, we might not all share the same "characteristics" and charged words like buffoonery may carry connotations which would be offensive to some. 

I was not aware that "buffoonery" was a charged word.  I've always liked the word because it reminds me of the rivalry between Judge Smails and Al Czervik in Caddyshack.  I've always looked it as a nicer way to refer to boorish behavior.  No offense intended.

6 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I was not aware that "buffoonery" was a charged word.  I've always liked the word because it reminds me of the rivalry between Judge Smails and Al Czervik in Caddyshack.  I've always looked it as a nicer way to refer to boorish behavior.  No offense intended.

I like to refer to myself as a buffoon from time to time...while not obvious, it does have a history associated with minstrels, which certainly has a negative connotation.  We know you Buck and know there was no ill intent, but it's something to be aware of.   😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

I would like to think that we all would be against riots.

Sure. But if they get blasted for kneeling...

With regard to “buffoonery,” it again focuses on how the protestors are making their voices heard as opposed to actually listening to what they’re trying to say. Rodney King was beaten in 1991. Thirty years on, things are worse. Not better. When people don’t listen to peaceful means, there are few other options. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

where's the righteous indignation of others when looting and property destruction occurs after Super Bowl and World Series wins...?

I've never understood that, as there is no justifiable reason for that other than just simply that they enjoy destroying property.  I can understand jumping on cars, but setting things on fire?  That has to be some pyro fascination.