aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I've never understood that, as there is no justifiable reason for that other than just simply that they enjoy destroying property.  I can understand jumping on cars, but setting things on fire?  That has to be some pyro fascination.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. I've made fun of those fools many times.

@vike daddyI am not sure what you are getting at. Are you suggesting that rioting is okay?

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Are you suggesting that rioting is okay?

While neither should be seen as acceptable, there’s no denying that one is viewed/reported on in a far more acceptable light than the other. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

where's the righteous indignation of others when looting and property destruction occurs after Super Bowl and World Series wins...?

I would like the opportunity someday in my life to have the option of destroying and burning things if the Vikings won the super bowl. I would probably lay in a fetal position and cry but I like more than one option. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

I would like the opportunity someday in my life to have the option of destroying and burning things if the Vikings won the super bowl. I would probably lay in a fetal position and cry but I like more than one option. 

We can organize a bus trip to Green Bay and riot there instead. 

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Yeah, it's ridiculous. I've made fun of those fools many times.

@vike daddyI am not sure what you are getting at. Are you suggesting that rioting is okay?

of course not. my statement stands on its own - in that, many members of our society get on a soapbox and condemn rioting following social unrest, but do not proselytize against rioting and destruction in celebration.

what's the real difference?

• Like 2
Just now, wcblack34 said:

The people doing the rioting.

you're like the smart kid in the class who always shoots his hand up first.

the attempt was being made to get others to think through the exercise, lol....

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

you're like the smart kid in the class who always shoots his hand up first.

the attempt was being made to get others to think through the exercise, lol....

Sorry. I'll go out behind the shop room and light one up with cool kids now...

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

of course not. my statement stands on its own - in that, many members of our society get on a soapbox and condemn rioting following social unrest, but do not proselytize against rioting and destruction in celebration.

I condemn rioting just the same. The duration riots last speaks is a difference that I have observed in various situations, including ridiculous riots after a team wins a championship.

I still give my St Cloud friend hell about his schoolmates rioting way back in the late 80's or early 90's. I can't even remember what those riots are about, but it is still a black eye on St Cloud State. When my kids looked at colleges not too long ago St Cloud State's reputation was still tarnished. And for what? Who knows?

What a shame.

Rioting is straight up shameful.

Edited by Cearbhall
4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I condemn rioting just the same. The duration riots last speaks is a difference that I have observed in various situations, including ridiculous riots after a team wins a championship.

I still give my St Cloud friend hell about his schoolmates rioting way back in the late 80's or early 90's. I can't even remember what those riots are about, but it is still a black eye on St Cloud State. When my kids looked at colleges not too long ago St Cloud State's reputation was still tarnished. And for what? Who knows?

What a shame.

Rioting is straight up shameful.

The Storming of the Bastille was a riot. 

The Boston Tea Party was a riot.

The Stonewall uprising was a riot. 

Sometimes they're catalysts for change. And almost always, they're the only way certain segments of the population are heard.

I was going to respond with some statistics, but I suspect I'm already straddling the line of allowable topics... 

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Ultimately, there isn't a difference, right?  When you set a car on fire, pull down light poles, or bust window out of stores and bars, you are harming someone.  It shouldn't be tolerated just because "our team won dude!"  I agree with Ten Inch.  If the Vikings win in my lifetime I would not be able to function for several hours except to cry tears on joy!

For some reason my job stopped taking out Federal Taxes beginning February 2020 so I only have $200 paid in Federal taxes. Now I'll be paying in nearly 4k dollars. 😢

6 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

For some reason my job stopped taking out Federal Taxes beginning February 2020 so I only have $200 paid in Federal taxes. Now I'll be paying in nearly 4k dollars. 😢

Sorry to hear that...that sucks...I know I'd probably be b***hing at them.  My wife has complained to her employer in the past for not taking out enough state taxes so that we ended up having to pay out.  Some will say that at least you didn't allow the Feds to collect the interest, but I don't like surprises like that.  If I planned for it, that's one thing, but like most, I don't plan for it...and don't want to.  

• Like 1