AFC South Talk

ET80

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Let's discuss the goings on with our division...

So, what does Indy do now?

Frank Reich

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Colts are expected to put in an interview request for Eagles OC Frank Reich regarding their head-coaching vacancy.

Reich, 56, got his coaching start in Indy in 2008, spending four years there with Peyton Manning. He's never been a head coach, but is a rising star in the coaching ranks after his work in Philly the past two seasons.

The Titans will take a step back, maybe to the celler of the division. The Jags peaked out last year unless they upgrade the QB position....granted that peak is further than we have ever gone. The Colts still have no depth, and will be better with Luck, but will still Struggle. 

I think we have a chance to be great if BOB can learn to manage games, or if Watson gets the confidence to do what needs to be done and not what BOB tries to do. 

my Way Too Early Predictions for Next Season that Probably End Up Wrong:

US:
Watson regresses. He and BOB work to make him more of a pocket guy, so he takes less risks. I think he plays most of the season, maybe missing a game or two. Watt plays the whole season, they possibly test him out at TE a little. Defense is much better than last year. I'm thinking... 9-7. IDK, I'm keeping expectations optimistically low as possible. 

Jags: They take a step back but not a big one

Titans: Either they stay about the same as they were this year, or they regress a TON. 

Colts: I actually expect them to make a decent comeback this year. I feel like they'll be competing with either us or the Jags for the division.

I don't understand why the Colts and Ballard aren't the one's getting totally roasted this McDaniels thing.  Who the hell starts making announcements and hiring assistant coaches before having a signed contract?  I don't care what level of business it is, NOTHING matters until a legally binding contract is signed, period.  McDaniels might have misled them, got cold feet, or just got assurances from New England, and he might very well be a scumbag, but Ballard should be villified every bit as much for treating a deal that clearly was not signed, sealed, and delivered as if it were and doing so publicly. For God's sake I've had deals fall apart over a single word in a 20 pg, 4pt font contract and anyone who has ever bought or sold a house knows the difference, between an accepted offer and closing the sale.  Hell, I remember Billy Gillispie's contract renewal at A&M being treated as a done deal all of 2007, except that he never got around to signing it and became free to leave for Kentucky.  Dave McGinnis soured on the Bears after they started announcing they had hired him before he actually signed a contract, so it's not like this is unprecedented "betrayal."

Everyone is all up in their sanctimonious "my word is my bond" bs, but GMs like Ballard regularly tear up SIGNED contracts for players like he did when he cut Vontae Davis the day after he opted for surgery on his injured groin. Hell, this is the same team that kept saying all last offseason and season that Luck was going to play even though he was never even close, so this isn't the first time "assumptions" have burned them. Remember, this is a team that ran Peyton Manning out of town because they had a younger shinier and cheaper toy in Luck who they got as a reward for tanking a season with Dan Orlovsky when it was clear Manning needed another neck surgery. 

McDaniels is one of those guys people love to hate and this certainly doesn't reflect well on his already questionable ethics, but I have zero sympathy for the Colts who are doing the equivalent of crying to the ref because a team pretended to spike the ball to kill the clock and threw a TD on them instead.  You can't assume anything in sports or business and Tony Dungy and the other mouthpieces can cry all they want to, but McDaniels has every right in the world to change his mind before that contract get signed and THEY are the one's in the wrong by operating as if he didn't still have that right until he put pen to paper. If McDaniels wants to stick with an organization run by Bob Kraft rather than a crack head like Irsay who's mistress OD'd in his hotel room, then good on him.

1 hour ago, Apollo Stallion said:

I don't understand why the Colts and Ballard aren't the one's getting totally roasted this McDaniels thing.  Who the hell starts making announcements and hiring assistant coaches before having a signed contract? 

everyone? like https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-expected-to-hire-larry-izzo-as-an-assistant-special-teams-coach/

even alex smith cant be officially traded till March 14. I mean like, it's not uncommon

On 2/7/2018 at 11:56 PM, tab said:

everyone? like https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-expected-to-hire-larry-izzo-as-an-assistant-special-teams-coach/

even alex smith cant be officially traded till March 14. I mean like, it's not uncommon

Not going thru paywall for article, but I don't recall anyone setting up a press conference for a player or a coach who was not actually signed.  The Chiefs and Redskins can't talk about the trade in an official capacity until March 14 but Smith and others can and both teams could pull out on 3/13 if they want. They didn't call a press conference announcing a new player signed BEFORE paperwork has been signed.  It's hard to reference things like this that happened, because the good teams shut the hell up until the deal is done.  Remember the McCarron deal - it's not done until it's done and that's why you don't make your organization look like baffoons for proceeding on non legally binging phone calls?

21 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Remember the McCarron deal - it's not done until it's done and that's why you don't make your organization look like baffoons for proceeding on non legally binging phone calls?

i get what you're saying with this example but it's different because it never got announced, because it was literally a last minute deal

you asked why the colts aren't getting crap for this: BECAUSE IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. I'm not arguing if it's a sound business model or not, just that this is an accepted business practice in the NFL. Here's an even more recent example posted on this forum for you: 

Like the Colts were talking to McDaniels for weeks obviously, getting details worked out for like 3 week I heard. At one point he agreed to it, and then started picking out coaching staff- I'm assuming he or an assistant called them up and asked them if they'd want to go- and it was so good to being done at that point (sans McDaniel's signature) that his staff members went ahead and started communicating with the colts their intent to work for them. Like, is none of the guilt on the staff members for agreeing to go over without the HC deal being finalized? I'm not even sure if they had signed contracts or not, but afterwards it was clear they are committed to the new job and also the Colts are honoring the hires. Is none of the guilt on McDaniels deciding to go back to NE knowing he put these guys at Indy's mercy? It's not a good look either way.

On 2/7/2018 at 9:47 AM, jch1911 said:

Frank Reich

Looks like it's the guy who led "The Comeback" vs the Oilers.

I'm glad it isn't Dave Toub (that REALLY scared me) but wanted McD to implode over there, keep the team in the cellar.

Archived