Post SB Jets Mock

Bobby816

New York Jets 2018 Offseason

Cuts:

Buster Skrine: disappointing Jets career.

Matt Forte: respect the guys career, but it’s time to go.

Mo Wilkerson: he isn’t worth 1/2 his salary anymore.

James Carpenter: doesn’t fit our ZBS.

We cut a few small names and We head into FA with 110mill in cap space roughly.

Resign:

Quincy Enunwa: him getting injured might have been a good thing. It’ll save us a ton of money. 2nd Round tender.

Morris Claiborne: when healthy he’s a good #2 CB.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins: finally using that talent God have him. Hopefully he can just get better and better. I think he lowers his asking price.

Demario Davis: no player has earned a contract more than this guy.

Kony Ealy: a change of scenery has seemed to spark his career. Losing Mo means nothing with resigning him.

Chandler Catanzaro: he’s been a solid K for us.

Jonathan Harrison: backup center.

Terrance Brooks: good rotational safety behind our young guys.

Dakota Dozier: good OLine depth.

Julian Stanford: ST value.

(All these resigns cost between 30-35mill)

Free Agency:

QB: Kirk Cousins: Guys like this don’t hit FA often. He has a good 7yrs or so of high talent football left in him. The QB drought is officially over.

CB: Phillip Gaines: Love his size to be able to bang with big WRs. Very good tackler as well. Him and Claiborne are neither #1 CBs, but they’re both good #2s. I think Claiborne will be better just by having a guy like Gaines opposite him I should note.

C: Ryan Jensen: Big upgrade at Center that gives us stability this franchise loves at C. He will make the rest of the OLine better.

LG: Jack Mewhort: After cutting Carpenter we add a talented young OG. Injuries have hurt his career or else he’d be considered the best OG in this FA class. We took a shot on Beachum last year and it worked out good. This year it’s Mewhort. A complete steal if he stays healthy.

Draft:

1st: Bradley Chubb (Edge/NC State)

We finally get our coveted edge rusher. Macc and Bowles like bigger edge guys and Chubb fits that along with having good athleticism. Can’t deny how often he gets to the QB and gets TFL. Under Macc every time we draft 6 a surprise guy falls to us. This year it’s Chubb luckily for us.

2nd: Ronald Jones III (RB/USC)

I see a star RB in this guy. Actually reminds me quite a bit of Kamara. We’ve always had a good run game when we’ve been good. Jones gets us back to that.

2nd (from Seattle): Auden Tate (WR/Florida State)

Really like this guy at WR. His size is a difference maker (6’5”). Cousins will want a big body in the red zone and Tate will be that. We have some question marks with Enunwa and Robby, so I think we prioritize WR more than some think.

3rd: Andre Dillard (OT/Washington State)

Beachum starts for us in 2018, but Dillard is the future LT for us long term hopefully. He can even battle Shell for a starting RT spot initially.

4th: Durham Smythe (TE/ Notre Dame)

Smythe is more a do it all TE unlike ASJ and Leggett. He’s a better blocker than both and has some receiving skills.

5th: Matthew Thomas (ILB/Florida State)

Very athletic tall LB. Has ability to be a good blitz guy as well. His instincts are still raw, but he has a ton of natural athletic ability that is coachable.

6th: Nik Needham (CB/UTEP)

ST guy and depth at CB. Likes to play press coverage.

7th: Michael Badgley (K/ Miami)

Camp battle at K that Cat will win I’m sure.

I really really hope we don't sign Cousins. You guys do realize that he is going to get up in the 30 plus mill range. He is not worth that much and we will be in cap hell for years. There are only 3 guys worth that much money Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. He is not worth that for a guy that can't carry a team to the playoffs and for a guy to have a losing record against winning teams. This just does not add up. This reminds me of the Neil O'Donell situation all over again. There is a reason the Skins moved on from him. HE CAN"T WIN THE BIG GAMES EVER. 

13 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I really really hope we don't sign Cousins. You guys do realize that he is going to get up in the 30 plus mill range. He is not worth that much and we will be in cap hell for years. There are only 3 guys worth that much money Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. He is not worth that for a guy that can't carry a team to the playoffs and for a guy to have a losing record against winning teams. This just does not add up. This reminds me of the Neil O'Donell situation all over again. There is a reason the Skins moved on from him. HE CAN"T WIN THE BIG GAMES EVER. 

That’s an opinion. Fact is, is we have big time interest in him whether you like it or not. He for sure doesn’t put us in a cap bind. We still have 50mill or so in cap space even after signing him. That’s far from a cap problem. He also will be the highest paid QB now once he signs... but within a year or 2 he will be around top 5-10 highest paid bc of other QBs germtting extensions.

I’ll also add that I don’t think any QB in this draft is superior to Cousins. Add that we have cap space we have to spend and some ties to our OC... I’m all for him coming to the Jets.

55 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Like this a lot, not 100% we could afford the free agents you have us signing but I love the draft. Really any draft that has us getting Chubb and Jones I'm gonna love.

Agreed, this would be ideal. Love that we address the line, QB, and CB in FA which would allow us to go BPA in the draft and acquire some weapons. 

I've seen some other mocks with FA moves that would cost more than what Bobby is suggesting.    

3 hours ago, Sapo28 said:

Agreed, this would be ideal. Love that we address the line, QB, and CB in FA which would allow us to go BPA in the draft and acquire some weapons. 

I've seen some other mocks with FA moves that would cost more than what Bobby is suggesting.    

I think we have plenty of cap space for this. Keeping our own will only cost like 30 or so. Cousins would cost 30-35. Jensen around 8-10. Gaines around 10 and Mewhort will be cheap with injury issues. With 110mill in space that’s still plenty of space for wiggle room with contracts along with enough money for the draft.

I like this alot but i really want nick chubb in the second. we need a guy who can wear out defenses. Watching the Eagles backs punish the NE defense was beautiful. I miss that kind of back. Just my opinion, otherwise...great mock.

Also...in what world will the jets be in cap hell if we are literally 100 million under the freaking cap?! Only jets fans will complain we have never had a QB and when one is available they complain its too expensive in an offseason where we've never had this amount of cap flexibility. 

Not a huge fan of signing Cousins, but I have come to terms with it as a legit possibility.  

Though if we do sink that money into him we have to fill as many holes around him as possible, because, while he is good, he isn't the guy that can do it on his own.  With that in mind i think that becomes easier if we trade back.  I like Chubb as a player, but I don't think he is a defense changing dominant rusher.  He kind of reminds me of Derek Barnett from last year.  Good player who will give you solid play and probably average between 5-10 sacks per year.  Though that is not what you are looking for with a top 10 pick.  If one of the QB's is still on the board in this scenario I would be on the phones trading  back, and using those extra picks to plug holes.  There are some nice pass rushers who are more of a risk but have a higher ceiling than Chubb that can be had in the 2nd round imo.

I'd be cool with this FA though.

53 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Not a huge fan of signing Cousins, but I have come to terms with it as a legit possibility.  

Though if we do sink that money into him we have to fill as many holes around him as possible, because, while he is good, he isn't the guy that can do it on his own.  With that in mind i think that becomes easier if we trade back.  I like Chubb as a player, but I don't think he is a defense changing dominant rusher.  He kind of reminds me of Derek Barnett from last year.  Good player who will give you solid play and probably average between 5-10 sacks per year.  Though that is not what you are looking for with a top 10 pick.  If one of the QB's is still on the board in this scenario I would be on the phones trading  back, and using those extra picks to plug holes.  There are some nice pass rushers who are more of a risk but have a higher ceiling than Chubb that can be had in the 2nd round imo.

I'd be cool with this FA though.

I do think Cousins is better than you’re giving him credit for. But that’s not what I want to talk about, bc I do think we will need to address other areas to entice him to come here. I have us upgrading C and LG in this FA scenario. And than on top of that drafting a RB and WR in Round 2 as well as a future LT maybe in Round 3. My thinking is Couins won’t sign that initial day teams can talk to players. I think he does several visits with teams and then decides. It’s be great for the Jets to go hard after a C and LG right away to help sell OLine stability to Vousins at his visit. We can’t oromise him certain players in the draft... but we can say we are prioritizing RB and WR in the draft to him eluding to that we want to get guys there with 2 of our 1st 4 picks. 

Archived