Let’s say Bell is gone...

AFF

For sake of argument, he’s not tagged due to cap number and headache...

What would you do?

-Sign a vet RB like Hyde at roughly 1/2 Bells price($6-7 mill)

-Use a 1st or 2nd on a RB like Jones from USC or Geice from LSU?

-Or more of a mid rd pick(not familiar too much on non high pick guys), that’s a complimentary piece to Conners-Ridley(resigned)

What say you?

Not a fan of drafting a RB in the 1st or 2nd round and I'm not sure I'd want Hyde.  I think Hyde is actually a lot closer to the end of his career than people realize.  Having said that, I'm not going to sit here and say that I have  a better option.  If Bell DOES go elsewhere, I think our Running game struggles considerably.

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

I draft Rashaad Penny in the 2nd and never look back.  This is one of the best drafts of RB.  It could be epic in the talent level.

I like Penny as well around 2nd round.  Kerryon Johnson (Bell clone) and Nick Chubb are two guys I’d take with no hesitation in the 2nd.

If this happens it makes RB more of a priority and adds to our list of must fix its. At the very least franchise him and keep him for this year.  I think they work out a decent deal that makes both sides happy and he will probably be paid an average of between $15 and $16.5 million for a years.  This could be achieved through easy to earn bonuses.  I think his salary dips year three, four and five (if there is one) as he will be hitting the 30 year old mark.

I know there are a few guys who look good and the success of players like Hunt and Kamala in the draft coming out in the middle rounds, but there are no guarantees until they play and do it. Bell has his headaches, but the good does outweigh the bad.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915294/article/rooney-steelers-seek-longterm-deal-for-leveon-bell

lets say Bell is here for the future and good D is a thing of the past >:( Sorry to break the news, and it will hurt for years unless the FO hits a few really good drafts.

As for the RB replacement if he is gone, someone mentioned Jamal Charles, that could prove to be good. Connor could be a good player, we just need to see more snaps to verify but he had the knee injury but it should be ok. There are other players UFA but this draft appears to be loaded with RB's so this is a good year to try RB's int he draft. 

The part that I don't like about signing Bell is that is almost guarantees the D will not be championship caliber and we will have to outscore teams.  

@jebrick agree about Penny or other RB's that could be good. I want the D to be watchable , and not just vs the Browns or colts with back up QB's either. With this draft said to be deep at Rb and Edge, this is the year to draft those players. Of course the FO will sign bell and we will have to live with the D as it is.  Maybe some of us will reminisce about winning with FG's and D too.

I say let him go.  Try to draft a mid round guy.  I would actually like to see what Connor has.  I think a lot of people are already writing him off and we haven’t even really seen him in play.  I think our OL will make a lot of RBs look good.  I think the one area you miss is Bell in the passing game.  

As long as the Steelers are willing to spend the money to fix the defense I’m OK letting him walk.  

I think that with Ben planning on sticking around a couple more years retaining Bell becomes less important.  

2 hours ago, Money said:

Pay Bell. Don't waste a pick at this position. You guys are sitting here talking about drafting running back while Belichick just picked up another off the scrap heap

But you’re suggesting paying Bell? Kinda countering your own point.

I'm torn, I'm a huge Bell fan and don't think he's truly replaceable, even by committee. However, this draft is definitely very deep at RB. Wish we had a few more mid round picks. 

However, I wish we didn't get Conner last year because I'd love for the Steelers to get a nice change of pace/scat/speed back, guys like Tevin Coleman, Kamara, Dion Lewis, Corey Clement types.

3 hours ago, chargerbuckeye said:

Bell just said the jets would need to pay him 100 mil. HE IS ABSOLUTELY WORTH 100 MILLION, AND YOU GUYS NEED TO PAY HIM THAT.

wrong. How about you pay him and give us 2 RD1 picks as wellB|

@Blitzburgh , Connor runs hard, but I never saw how well his vision is. I have no problems of the FO letting bell walk as long as we draft/sign another RB and fix the D . More than anything, bring Rod Woodson back for the DB's

6 hours ago, chargerbuckeye said:

Bell just said the jets would need to pay him 100 mil. HE IS ABSOLUTELY WORTH 100 MILLION, AND YOU GUYS NEED TO PAY HIM THAT.

You're out of your mind! He said for him to leave Pittsburgh and play for the lowly Jets it would take $100mil....

Archived