Let’s say Bell is gone...

AFF

20 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

ill vomit if we waste a 1st on RB.

I understand the sentiment. I just think Guice is going to be a dynamic player. If they tag Bell and he sits this team will not be competitive. The Defense will still be bad and the Offense will be one dimensional behind an inconsistent Ben. The writing is on the wall. With the Bell era ending this year or next, if not Guice, certainly a RB between 1-3rds. I guess it just depends on how you view the difference between Guice in Rd 1 and "insert player here" in Rd 3. I think he's that much better. 

Part of me wants him gone at this point.  He clearly overvalues himself. He is currently the best RB in the league.  Right up until the point where Saquon Barkley gets drafted #1 overall by Cleveland, yes I think Barkley will be a better RB.

I understand how valuable he is to our success but c'mon he clearly wants in excess of $20M a year and I'm sorry but he isn't a Quarterback, he isn't worth that.  He's got a very selfish attitude, it's clearly all about money to him. I get a guy wanting to be paid well but c'mon this is ridiculous, threatening retirement if he is tagged? Well happy retirement to you.

By franchise tagging him, is he still considering not playing if he doesn't get the longterm deal he wants?  When will this end :S It would help the team if he decides before the draft, that way we can draft a player etc.  This could be what breaks the season before it starts unless they get lucky and are able to improve the D in a major way thru the draft.

He isn’t worth the money call his bluff and let him retire.  Draft another mid round back and go into next season with Connor and arookie.  Or sign Burkhead or something like that. I don’t think Bell will make or break this offense.  

Put the money into the defense.

11 minutes ago, mwalker said:

I do wish they could trade him for something, but it's looking like they let him play one more year under the tag, and then walk.

If he is refusing to play, I think they could potentially seek a trade if they dont get a deal worked out.   However, I think it would be after the 2018 draft....which means we could get a pick for the 2019 draft or perhaps a player in return.

However, given how narrow minded our front office is, I dont think that will actually happen.

I do not understand peoples outrage behind his comments. The Franchise tag is awful for the players and it leaves them with zero leverage when they should be hitting Free Agency and hitting it big on a contract. Threatening to retire may give him a slight bit of leverage and may not total be a terrible decision. 

The guy is trying to get paid long term when he has a chance. Look what the 5th year option did to Shazier while guys drafted 20 spots lower than him hit their C2s. Leveons career could end next year and the Steelers will walk away unharmed. 

Just take the fan hat off that says you would play for the Steelers for a nickle and understand why its not in his best interest to not only be tagged, but tagged for a second time. He isnt selfish because he is the only one in the equation that is thinking of his best interests. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

I do not understand peoples outrage behind his comments. The Franchise tag is awful for the players and it leaves them with zero leverage when they should be hitting Free Agency and hitting it big on a contract. Threatening to retire may give him a slight bit of leverage and may not total be a terrible decision. 

The guy is trying to get paid long term when he has a chance. Look what the 5th year option did to Shazier while guys drafted 20 spots lower than him hit their C2s. Leveons career could end next year and the Steelers will walk away unharmed. 

Just take the fan hat off that says you would play for the Steelers for a nickle and understand why its not in his best interest to not only be tagged, but tagged for a second time. He isnt selfish because he is the only one in the equation that is thinking of his best interests. 

Agreed.  Lots of people (I dunno about on here) supported VJax with his acts against the Chargers when they did the same thing, but when it's Bell there's a hissy fit.  Seems rather hypocritical.

I’ll take my fan hat off and put my owner/business hat on.  I take advantage of the agreed upon terms of the collective bargaining agreement his union agreed to.  I leverage the franchise tag to protect my interests and I don’t invest too much in an aging asset with a lot of miles on it.  

Sucks for the player, but it was all negotiated in the CBA.  

Also, let’s not kid ourselves.  14.5 million will change anyone’s life.  He is a moron if he walks away from that.  Even if the worst happens next season he and his next couple generations are covered. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Yeah, he really should hold out to get that extra $1 Million a year. Cause $65 Million just isn't enough but $70 Million is juuuuust right. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I think that they get something done.  I've heard reports that the Steelers last offered $13mil, Bell wants at least $14.5 mil, I think they end up settling on $14mil a year.

The comments being made and the speculation being made is that they aren't even close to what Bell wants per year.

Archived