Venom

Acgott

On 8/10/2018 at 9:46 AM, SwoleXmad said:

Yeah that's Deadpool who is an exception to the rule and Bob Iger doesn't run Sony (yet...)

Sony's most profitable franchise is Spiderman who is pg-13. They'll push it as hard as they can but they will not do an R rating if they want to do a Spiderman crossover and we all know they do.

But Sony's Spider-verse and the MCU are supposedly connected (hence why they're open to Tom Holland's Spidey appearing in Venom and vice versa), so it's a moot point. The fact is, Bob Iger IS open to R-rated characters appearing in the MCU if the script calls for it, Carnage is another such character who's movie they would have to make rated R to have it work. Imagine a Hannibal Lecter who doesn't eat people, Deadpool without profanity or Punisher without guns, that's pretty much what a PG-13 Carnage is without all the maiming and ripping to shreds. A Carnage that isn't violent as **** is Carnage In Name Only.

1 minute ago, KManX89 said:

But Sony's Spider-verse and the MCU are supposedly connected (hence why they're open to Tom Holland's Spidey appearing in Venom and vice versa), so it's a moot point. The fact is, Bob Iger IS open to R-rated characters appearing in the MCU if the script calls for it, Carnage is another such character who's movie they would have to make rated R to have it work. Imagine a Hannibal Lecter who doesn't eat people, Deadpool without profanity or Punisher without guns, that's pretty much what a PG-13 Carnage is without all the maiming and ripping to shreds. A Carnage that isn't violent as **** is Carnage In Name Only.

How many times have we seen studios gore down an R-Rated property to a PG-13 rating for $? 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic/mpaa.htm (Using this as a source for R rated movies) Sony has 2 Rated movies since 1997 in the top 25 box office. One is fairly recent and while venom would do it fairly well, sony's history suggests it'll go PG-13 especially if they go the spiderman route.

5 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

How many times have we seen studios gore down an R-Rated property to a PG-13 rating for $? 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic/mpaa.htm (Using this as a source for R rated movies) Sony has 2 Rated movies since 1997 in the top 25 box office. One is fairly recent and while venom would do it fairly well, sony's history suggests it'll go PG-13 especially if they go the spiderman route.

Mortal Kombat is the most blatant example of "kidifying" a movie that has no business being rated anything but an R rating. I get why they did it, but it just doesn't work... And it's been proven time and time again.

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Mortal Kombat is the most blatant example of "kidifying" a movie that has no business being rated anything but an R rating. I get why they did it, but it just doesn't work... And it's been proven time and time again.

They're still leaning into it (I mean venom basically ate a dude in the trailer) so it's not a super dumbed down version but they're not gonna show the gore that would get them an R rating.

They're just gonna cut a lot of the gore, there won't be much blood and that will be that. It sucks but it's probably what Marvel/Sony agreed to for Spiderman to show up in Venom. 

I think a PG-13 rating can work for Venom (You can get away with a lot if you're smart about it) but it's going to be hard to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol.  It's not going to work as a PG-13 movie.  The movie is going to bomb.  If Sony had just tried making a Venom movie that would please fans of Venom, it probably would have been a hit and allow them to kick off an anti-hero universe.  They didn't try to do that.  They tried to make an action comedy buddy movie (Brock buddying with Venom) that's also PG-13.

Other than Venom's voice and the way Venom looks, which I totally get, I don't see anything remotely exciting about this movie.  I think Venom fans are too excited about how good Venom looks and sounds while neglecting that the movie looks like trash. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived