Venom

Acgott

I really hope this bombs super hard for two reasons:

1. Sony doesn't pull some **** move and try to take Spider-Man back from the MCU.

2. So that Tom Hardy can officially enter the MCU and play Wolverine. 

If it doesn't bomb hard, I hope it's so good that the MCU is forced to put Venom into the MCU so that Hardy can still be a part of it.

I have a feeling the movie is going to fail pretty hard because I have a feeling they're slapping the R rating on it just for the sake of having an R rating on it, and that it won't really be all that good of a movie.  People think R rating is always a good thing, but it's not.  Just because it gets rated R doesn't even mean the movie will be an R movie.  For example, the most recent movie they tried to call Die Hard.  That movie could easily have been rated PG-13 if they wanted it to, but they basically allowed it to be R just to appease fans of Die Hard. 

About the teaser, it was a crap teaser.  I didn't need to see Venom or Carnage or whatever they are to be pleased with the teaser.  I needed a little more of what the movie is going to be.  They didn't really show... Anything.  Just Tom Hardy talking and like 97 shots of Hardy about to get a CT scan or whatever that was. 

27 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

2. So that Tom Hardy can officially enter the MCU and play Wolverine

Tom Hardy is already 40. I have a very hard time seeing them make a guy that old the new face of the X-men, especially seeing as it will be atleast 3 more years before we actually see Wolverine on screen again.

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

Tom Hardy is already 40. I have a very hard time seeing them make a guy that old the new face of the X-men, especially seeing as it will be atleast 3 more years before we actually see Wolverine on screen again.

Good point. 

24 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I really hope this bombs super hard for two reasons:

1. Sony doesn't pull some **** move and try to take Spider-Man back from the MCU.

2. So that Tom Hardy can officially enter the MCU and play Wolverine. 

If it doesn't bomb hard, I hope it's so good that the MCU is forced to put Venom into the MCU so that Hardy can still be a part of it.

I have a feeling the movie is going to fail pretty hard because I have a feeling they're slapping the R rating on it just for the sake of having an R rating on it, and that it won't really be all that good of a movie.  People think R rating is always a good thing, but it's not.  Just because it gets rated R doesn't even mean the movie will be an R movie.  For example, the most recent movie they tried to call Die Hard.  That movie could easily have been rated PG-13 if they wanted it to, but they basically allowed it to be R just to appease fans of Die Hard. 

About the teaser, it was a crap teaser.  I didn't need to see Venom or Carnage or whatever they are to be pleased with the teaser.  I needed a little more of what the movie is going to be.  They didn't really show... Anything.  Just Tom Hardy talking and like 97 shots of Hardy about to get a CT scan or whatever that was. 

I think they would have rather made it PG-13 to appeal to a larger audience. Plenty of kids/parents won't be seeing this in the theaters because of that. The fact that it is R rated says to me there was too much/important of material that needs to be R rated to cut out. We've seen Deadpool and Logan with R ratings recently, and both were fantastic. Now, if you are right and they are slapping the label on it just for the sake of it, that will suck, but I think reducing the audience for that reason isn't a good choice of action at all and would hope a major studio would see that.

Not so sure why there are so many people crapping on the teaser. It's almost like they were expecting the official trailer 9 months in advance. It was just a teaser, and as far as teasers go, it gave us a good amount of screen time and a good feel for the movie.

And honestly, the MCU Spiderman sucks. At least the direction they took him did. Might as well just rename him Iron-Spider.

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

And honestly, the MCU Spiderman sucks. At least the direction they took him did. Might as well just rename him Iron-Spider.

I kind of agree.     I really like Holland as Spidey. and it does make sense that Stark would help him invent tech since he is just a poor high school kid, but they are going too far with it.    It disregards too many of Peter's natural instincts and abilities in favor of Stark Tech.  

In regards to Venom, I think they saw the success of Deadpool with its R rating and think it can work for them.   Difference is, Deadpool is a comedy-centric, which pulls alot of casual fans in, even ones that dont know much about the character.    Venom isnt going to have that same luxury..   I think it will still pull people in, but I dont think it will be a huge success, even if the movie turns out to be pretty good.    I think it would have to be amazing and gain alot of early buzz to be a hit, and I dont think Sony can pull it off.

9 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Not so sure why there are so many people crapping on the teaser.

Because it felt completely rushed. And that because it was completely rushed.

They clearly felt that this teaser had to get out infront of Black Panther, and just stitched something together with a completely generic Voice Over. It felt alot like an early 2000's movie. They just finished shooting so basically none of the CGI has been done, which left it completely generic.

14 minutes ago, JonStark said:

And honestly, the MCU Spiderman sucks.

Hmm, can not get on this with you. Not even alittle bit. Holland's portrayal of Peter and Spidey have been the best combination yet.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Because it felt completely rushed. And that because it was completely rushed.

They clearly felt that this teaser had to get out infront of Black Panther, and just stitched something together with a completely generic Voice Over. It felt alot like an early 2000's movie. They just finished shooting so basically none of the CGI has been done, which left it completely generic.

Hmm, can not get on this with you. Not even alittle bit. Holland's portrayal of Peter and Spidey have been the best combination yet.

But I mean, it was just a teaser. It wasn't supposed to be a full out trailer. When that drops, we're going to get more of what the film's plot will be and I'm sure a look at Venom once the CGI is done.

Holland isn't the problem. In fact, I'd agree he is the best Spiderman yet. The problem is exactly what @FourThreeMafia said about the technology taking away what makes Spiderman.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I kind of agree.     I really like Holland as Spidey. and it does make sense that Stark would help him invent tech since he is just a poor high school kid, but they are going too far with it.    It disregards too many of Peter's natural instincts and abilities in favor of Stark Tech.  

In regards to Venom, I think they saw the success of Deadpool with its R rating and think it can work for them.   Difference is, Deadpool is a comedy-centric, which pulls alot of casual fans in, even ones that dont know much about the character.    Venom isnt going to have that same luxury..   I think it will still pull people in, but I dont think it will be a huge success, even if the movie turns out to be pretty good.    I think it would have to be amazing and gain alot of early buzz to be a hit, and I dont think Sony can pull it off.

Unfortunately I think you're right about Venom. I don't see it being a major hit, which is why them sticking to the R rating actually gets me excited. If it was in-between PG-13 and R, the studio would most likely swing it to PG-13 to make a larger profit, and connect it to Holland's Spiderman easier (as he's rumored to be in the movie, just not as Spiderman), so there must be reasons to keep it as rated R. Tom Hardy being attached to it gives it a chance though.

12 minutes ago, JonStark said:

But I mean, it was just a teaser. It wasn't supposed to be a full out trailer. When that drops, we're going to get more of what the film's plot will be and I'm sure a look at Venom once the CGI is done.

Its funny how fans react to teasers.

If there isnt a perfect balance of reveals and discretion, fans bash it.

That being said, I will agree that this teaser was somewhat pointless, if only because it really didnt tease much.      If you watched that trailer without the title screen or knowing what it was, you would never know what it was supposed to be.    Teasers should at least give a slight...ya know...."tease" of what to expect.

That being said, I never judge teasers harshly, and dont really have a major issue with it.   I just dont think it accomplished anything in regards to getting anyone excited....which is what a teaser should do IMO.

It's a teaser, it's supposed to leave you wanting more.  I agree they had a missed opportunity at teasing a glimpse (maybe partially obscured) of Venom, but I'm more intrigued than I was.  They should have put a rush on just a 1-2 second finished CGI shot of him to show at the end.

I'm pretty sure the scene where all the people are blown away from something all of a sudden (in an office?) is going to have a CGI Venom in the middle of that though.

4 hours ago, JonStark said:

No one Ive seen was asking for too much. Its Venom, anyone who is paying attention to this teaser this far out is a fan, so give us some of the symbiote. We barely see it in canisters for a split second from a reverse angle. As stated before, if this wasnt an existing property, I would have no clue what the heck this thing was for. 

Generic is not what you want for a teaser, you are trying to peak intrest, and on the whole, this did not accomplish that

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Its funny how fans react to teasers.

If there isnt a perfect balance of reveals and discretion, fans bash it.

That being said, I will agree that this teaser was somewhat pointless, if only because it really didnt tease much.      If you watched that trailer without the title screen or knowing what it was, you would never know what it was supposed to be.    Teasers should at least give a slight...ya know...."tease" of what to expect.

That being said, I never judge teasers harshly, and dont really have a major issue with it.   I just dont think it accomplished anything in regards to getting anyone excited....which is what a teaser should do IMO.

This is my issue. I feel like it really just shouldn't have been done. It's pointless. If you're going to release that, release nothing yet, IMO.

For comparison on timeframe and content, Black Panther came out with a teaser in June, so 8 months before release just like the Venom teaser. It showed two brief shots of Black Panther in uniform and in action, a few shots of Jordan's villain, a monologue from Serkis's villain, and some music and shots of Wakanda to set tone. Ragnarok's teaser was 7 months before release, and it teased the Hulk/Thor fight, showed Hela, music and Asgard to similar effect with Black Panther, etc. Like, this is standard timeline for recent Marvel teasers and normally they show....something.

All this did for me is concern me that they don't know what about their property is actually interesting enough to tease us with.

20 hours ago, devils1854 said:

I know its just 90 seconds, but Hardy's accent and the way he holds himself is the same exact character from Warrior, which is pretty much the same from Lawless.

Warrior is the best and yes his walk/posture are exactly the same in Venom and Warrior.  I won't complain, makes him look like a hulking presence.  

Archived