For Fun!! Predict compensation for Kirk Cousins Tag & Trade deal & team.

aceinthehouse

24 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Not for one season. On a long term deal Cousins’ cap hit would likely be $20 million this year on a deal like Garapollo just signed.

Woz is saying if Kirk plays on the franchise tag this year and then the team transition tags him next year giants transition tag # would rise to $41 million.

Yes, but someone will give him more than 41 million guaranteed in a contract on the transition tag. That's all that matters in the NFL.

33 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Yes, but someone will give him more than 41 million guaranteed in a contract on the transition tag. That's all that matters in the NFL.

Again, Woz was making a separate point than how you countered. 

Of course Kirk will get more than $41 million guaranteed on a long term deal but Woz was only talking about the 2018 transition tag if Kirk played the 2017 the season on the franchise tag.

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m with Cooley here, Kirk will get traded for a 2nd round pick to one of the qb needy teams so they don’t have to get in a bidding war for his services in free agency in March. If the Redskins get a trade like this done, I’ll need to have a dry pair of boxers ready to change into just like when we signed London Fletcher.

This will be great if they can do it. Remember though that the only way its gonna work is if Cousins agrees to do it. Which means its gonna be Kirk essentially  picking where he goes. Both the Redskins AND the other team have to know that Cousins will not only want to go there, but sign a LTD with that team when he arrives. Otherwise, as Cooley and Kevin said, no team is going to offer any high picks.

8 hours ago, Slateman said:

You're missing the point I think.

Let's say that team A trades for Cousins on the tag now but can't get a LTD done.

After the 2018 season, it doesn't matter how many teams will give him more than 41m. Because in order for Team A to even place the transition tag on Kirk, they need to have 41m in cap space already cleared to do it. This is what @Woz and I are saying. 

Remember, when tagging the player, you HAVE to have that cap space already. Or you cannot place the tag on the player.

So team A is going to need 41m, just to TRY to be able to match the contract offers that come in. 

1. You tag him.

2. You allow him to talk to specific teams that interest him.

3. Let him hammer out a specific contract agreed upon.

4. Then hammer out fair compensation to the Redskins for circumventing the free for all that is FA. 

* if all of steps 2-4 fall apart? you rescind the tag, and let him fall into the hungry shark pool of insanity. 

Is this all feasible and fair enough? or am I being a dummy in forgetting something here? 

10 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

this is such a waste of time and effort that harms your brand and is only done if you are trying to save face or be vindictive. Wise Man has a saying about this: 

Image-83.jpg

The Redskins brand is trash anyways since Snyder took over, so what’s the difference?

On 2/9/2018 at 6:35 PM, oldman9er said:

1. You tag him.

2. You allow him to talk to specific teams that interest him.

3. Let him hammer out a specific contract agreed upon.

4. Then hammer out fair compensation to the Redskins for circumventing the free for all that is FA. 

* if all of steps 2-4 fall apart? you rescind the tag, and let him fall into the hungry shark pool of insanity. 

Is this all feasible and fair enough? or am I being a dummy in forgetting something here? 

While he's tagged and before he's traded, you cant do anything in FA. There's a huge risk profile you're running by doing this. So if this is gonna work, it needs to be handled in the next few weeks before the tag officially happens. Once he's officially tagged, his number is on our books

19 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

While he's tagged and before he's traded, you cant do anything in FA. There's a huge risk profile you're running by doing this. So if this is gonna work, it needs to be handled in the next few weeks before the tag officially happens. Once he's officially tagged, his number is on our books

Out of respect I don't see anybody in free ageny other than the wideouts that will help the redskins.

i doubt we go after butler and Sheldon Richardson.the player I'm worried about leaving is Brown .

this FA class sucks , it'd only get more interesting after teams release players .

i want us to take the risk with cousins . A team will bite and to me it sounds like cousins is infact about money .

we could lose Brown but we also would be in position to draft smith or the other LB from Alabama .

ejther way if we fail than Allen is gone . I strongly see that even more worth the risk 

15 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Out of respect I don't see anybody in free ageny other than the wideouts that will help the redskins.

i doubt we go after butler and Sheldon Richardson.the player I'm worried about leaving is Brown .

this FA class sucks , it'd only get more interesting after teams release players .

i want us to take the risk with cousins . A team will bite and to me it sounds like cousins is infact about money .

we could lose Brown but we also would be in position to draft smith or the other LB from Alabama .

ejther way if we fail than Allen is gone . I strongly see that even more worth the risk 

A few things:

1) Butler and Richardson are available. There are also other FAs available that can possible help. But you're missing the value of FA in signing your own guys back too. We risk losing Brown. We also risk not being able to sign other players who are entering their last year(s) of their deals to longer contracts (and thus keeping them cheaper in the long run).

And yes, if a team releases a player in FA that we'd like to go after...if we don't have the cap space, we can't go after it.

2) Yes, we are taking the risk with Cousins. But, if the FA class is as you expect, then we won't sign much (assuming you;re right) outside of our own guys. Which almost guarantees us the 2019 3rd.

3) Cousins has never said its about the money. He wants to go where he his valued as a starting QB and where the culture is about winning. This organization has showed him repeatedly that they don't value him as a starter. As for the culture of winning, that ain't us.

Will a team bite? I certainly hope so if they try to go this route. But I highly doubt it.

4) Re: Allen? Here we agree

58 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

A few things:

1) Butler and Richardson are available. There are also other FAs available that can possible help. But you're missing the value of FA in signing your own guys back too. We risk losing Brown. We also risk not being able to sign other players who are entering their last year(s) of their deals to longer contracts (and thus keeping them cheaper in the long run).

And yes, if a team releases a player in FA that we'd like to go after...if we don't have the cap space, we can't go after it.

2) Yes, we are taking the risk with Cousins. But, if the FA class is as you expect, then we won't sign much (assuming you;re right) outside of our own guys. Which almost guarantees us the 2019 3rd.

3) Cousins has never said its about the money. He wants to go where he his valued as a starting QB and where the culture is about winning. This organization has showed him repeatedly that they don't value him as a starter. As for the culture of winning, that ain't us.

Will a team bite? I certainly hope so if they try to go this route. But I highly doubt it.

4) Re: Allen? Here we agree

I just don't see why Kirk saids no to the Vikings the Broncos the Jaguars and even the Browns.

a good QB makes a team competive .

Honestly if you think about it , the only teams that are good are the Vikings and Jaguars . The other teams that will try to sign him are awful. So he honestly has two options because the broncos are on the decline .

13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

As I believe Kevin Sheehan pointed out, the Redskins haven’t been big players on the first few days of free agency since 2011 anyways, so what’s the difference?

Also, Redskins fans overrate Zach Brown. He’s fast and good at blitzing but he’s not good or even poor at so many things that Redskins fans overlook. He often fills the wrong gaps in the run game but because he’s fast, he makes up for it. He’s one of the worst coverage lbs in the nfl. He was a 2 down lb for the Bills and I’m convinced he’s never gotten a big long term deal because in a passing league, he’s a major liability.

If Brown won’t take a deal our front office thinks is right, we need to move on and sign an ILB who can play the run  and cover - even if he doesn’t have 4.4 speed - or draft someone we can develop and have compete with Spaight, Vigil and JHC.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

As I believe Kevin Sheehan pointed out, the Redskins haven’t been big players on the first few days of free agency since 2011 anyways, so what’s the difference?

Also, Redskins fans overrate Zach Brown. He’s fast and good at blitzing but he’s not good or even poor at so many things that Redskins fans overlook. He often fills the wrong gaps in the run game but because he’s fast, he makes up for it. He’s one of the worst coverage lbs in the nfl. He was a 2 down lb for the Bills and I’m convinced he’s never gotten a big long term deal because in a passing league, he’s a major liability.

If Brown won’t take a deal our front office thinks is right, we need to move on and sign an ILB who can play the run  and cover - even if he doesn’t have 4.4 speed - or draft someone we can develop and have compete with Spaight, Vigil and JHC.

Lol dude we need Brown .

F spaight and vigil , we need to draft quality ILB with freakish speed .

Wow!

I didn't know, but apparently we can tag Kirk anytime between now & march 6th.

march 6th being the deadline.

I found out from this article from Jason La Canforta

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-broncos-should-be-favorites-for-kirk-cousins-and-who-he-should-pick-is-clear/

Gentleman, if something Is gonna happen, it will happen soon.

keep your fingers crossed.

Archived