Eric Reid Injured in Practice

y2lamanaki

Always a concern with Reid between his concussions and other injuries he always seems to have. Glad to hear it doesn't appear to be that serious but these guys, Ward and Reid, could definitely use the reps in the new scheme being installed. Maybe we'll get to find out sooner rather than later what we have in some of our young guys like Tartt, Jerome and James

2 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Always a concern with Reid between his concussions and other injuries he always seems to have. Glad to hear it doesn't appear to be that serious but these guys, Ward and Reid, could definitely use the reps in the new scheme being installed. Maybe we'll get to find out sooner rather than later what we have in some of our young guys like Tartt, Jerome and James

I agree that our starters need these reps. Hopefully one of Jerome/James turns out to be the real deal and puts the extra reps to great use. I'm guessing if Reid/Ward are out for a bit (and I'd guess at least a practice or two), Jerome/James will get plenty of work with the 2nd team, which is good. 

4 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Maybe a blessing in disguise Y2. We are a very young team who's going to have its struggles regardless of who's out there, so it'll be nice to see our youngsters get some PT and reps and show what they got. 

Definitely the possibility to be a blessing in disguise. Depends on how long Reid misses. Sounds like Tartt will have until at least mid-August with the ones.

I'm really hoping Jerome gets some run with the 1s at FS. We all know he's not a world class athlete, but he seems to just get it. Lynch mentioned something about Rhonde Barber and how the ball just always seemed to find him and how he saw some of that in Jerome. It would obviously be fantastic to get an eventual starter or even just a good role player out of Jerome moving forward. 

6 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I'm really hoping Jerome gets some run with the 1s at FS. We all know he's not a world class athlete, but he seems to just get it. Lynch mentioned something about Rhonde Barber and how the ball just always seemed to find him and how he saw some of that in Jerome. It would obviously be fantastic to get an eventual starter or even just a good role player out of Jerome moving forward. 

Apparently Jerome had another INT in practice today. That's one INT in each practice (I think). If he does this in the preseason as well, it's going to be impossible to stash him on the practice squad. 

Given that we'll likely keep 10 DBs, we may go 5 cornerbacks and 5 safeties to keep Jerome around. Still super early, though. 

15 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Apparently Jerome had another INT in practice today. That's one INT in each practice (I think). If he does this in the preseason as well, it's going to be impossible to stash him on the practice squad. 

Given that we'll likely keep 10 DBs, we may go 5 cornerbacks and 5 safeties to keep Jerome around. Still super early, though. 

If he keeps performing like this in practice, I don't think he'll need any preseason games to make another squad if we tried sneaking him onto the ps. I think this year is going to be one of the 'easiest' years for UDFAs to make our roster as there are still a lot of players on this roster that Lynch and Shanahan are not tied to. It would be a very cool story for Jerome to make this squad coming from a small school with his physical limitations and I'm pulling for him. 

With those two out, Jaquiski Tartt continued to play free safety while Vinnie Sunseri played strong safety with the first group. For most of the day, the second group was Don Jones (SS) and Lorenzo Jerome (FS), but at the end both Jerome and James got a chance to play together with the second squad.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article164462577.html

Just what I was hoping for. I'd rather Jerome get first team looks at FS and Tartt switch to SS (since Sunseri is what he is at this point), but it's early and I understand the rookie has to earn. Still glad to see the experience for the two undrafted rookies. 

Archived