Carnell Lake steps down

warfelg

Words cannot express how happy I am about this! I respect what Carnell Lake was as a player for us, but nothing he ever did as a coach impressed me. Our defensive backs have been laughably undisciplined and have shown very little progression under his coaching. Next coach may not be any better, but the change needed to happen.

Same feelings as 43 here. Was pretty upset he wasn't let go before, but happy to see him leaving now. 

He was given physical talent, specifically with a guy like Burns, and seemed to have the most under-studied group that lacked discipline in their assignments over and over again. A big part of that points to coaching to me, so I am happy for the change here. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a prediction on the replacement for Carnell Lake:

Rod Woodson

“My dream job is to come back to the Black & Gold and coach those guys. They have Carnell, who started with the Steelers in 2011, the same time I started with the Raiders. We didn’t end up being as good as Pittsburgh was. I know they have Carnell and he’s done a great job and don’t want to replace him, but I would love to don those colors one more time somehow. Once a Steeler, you’re always a Steeler.”

This was the comments by Rod Woodson in an interview; as per Steelers Depot.  I know that he is currently the DB Coach of the Oakland Raiders however I have little doubt that could change in the near future due to the lack of success on that Oakland defense.

26 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a prediction on the replacement for Carnell Lake:

Rod Woodson

This was the comments by Rod Woodson in an interview; as per Steelers Depot.  I know that he is currently the DB Coach of the Oakland Raiders however I have little doubt that could change in the near future due to the lack of success on that Oakland defense.

Actually I think Woodson was not retained when they brought Gruden.

17 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Actually I think Woodson was not retained when they brought Gruden.

Copy that! I didn't know for sure but if that's the case I think there's at least a strong possibility Rod Woodson is the replacement and I like at least the prospective improvement that comes with that decision.

Just now, wwhickok said:

Copy that! I didn't know for sure but if that's the case I think there's at least a strong possibility Rod Woodson is the replacement and I like at least the prospective improvement that comes with that decision.

I just hope whomever they decide to hire can help the secondary. Another name I saw was Ray Horton. I just want someone good....

Ill be honest, I do not really want any past Steelers, I just want the best guy for the job as a coach. I feel its too hard not to give guys in such high regard inside an organization because of their playing days a long leash. Lakes unit has not been very strong and hasnt developed any talent. Porters unit has had 3 first rounders and a second rounder and we still dont see massive improvement or development. Yet they have held their positions for some time now. 

Give me the best coach. If that's Woodson, so be it -- but i truly hope its not because he wore our jersey and was a good player at one point. 

10 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I just hope whomever they decide to hire can help the secondary. Another name I saw was Ray Horton. I just want someone good....

I agree.  That's the most important thing honestly, someone with experience and knowledge that can actually help the secondary improve.

I greatly appreciate the efforts from Lake, he did everything he could but it was clear he wasn't the man for the job, I'm glad his tenure has come to an end. 

Archived