Around the League - Training Camp

flyingmonkey30

Look, the Iggles have figured it out. No doubt about it. Dallas is still trying to win with the "build thru the draft" philosophy. The last 2 years the SB was won by teams that traded away early to mid round picks to acquire veteran players that they felt fit their game plan. It worked.

Our idea of FA signings is LAUGHABLE!!! Christ, by the end of the year the 3 players we signed were NOT EVEN ON THE FRICKIN TEAM! 

But, I do see a way that this team, the way it is built can hang with teams like Philly and NE.

1. Solidify the O line. Do WHATEVER it takes to get the LG and LT positions stable. Draft or FA, get the LG spot solid and get a quality back up for T. Smith because he wont make it a solid year.

2. Get your running game in order. Have a solid back up behind Elliott. D. Murray would be a wise choice if he was willing to return to Dallas. He has some tred left and he DID lead the league in rushing behind less of an O line than we would have this year.

3. Get E. Thomas or someone that can QB our DB's. We NEED veteran presence back there to teach these young bucks how to play in the NFL.

4. Get your arse a rotation of lethal pass rushers. You may have a few in D. Law, and Irving. But we need that monster presence in the middle that can collapse the pocket and more rotational players on the outside. Ca nit be Tapper, Charlton, FA, Draft? We shall see.

5. Get a WR that can separate and get young at TE. Dak needs to develop HIS guy at TE.

If they did this, they can play keep away ball control and hang with ANY defense. It will give them, at the very least, a chance to hang around long enough in every game to win it in the end.

Because our passing game, with our WR's and old man Witten combined with a huge question mark at QB and Dak's regression last year cannot play the game Philly, Pitts, NE, NO, Atl all play. We just can't. Keep Dak at the short to intermediate passes, get a WR that can separate,  a TE that he trusts and connects with, let him use his legs and lean heavy on the running game.

As for defense, with a leader in the secondary and a rotational pass rush, we might just get that sack late in the game that causes the GW turnover, if we aren't down 3 scores already.

That is the only way I see this team competing this year. If they try to play an open offense relying heavy on the passing game, we are SCREWED!

16 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Gonna be great when Dallas releases Dez for nothing.

Well we had to release D-Ware for nothing and were going to release Romo for nothing. It doesn't surprise me that Dez will follow suit also.

4 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

That is the only way I see this team competing this year. If they try to play an open offense relying heavy on the passing game, we are SCREWED!

You must've forgotten who our offensive coordinator is: Scott "I pass on the 3 yd. line" Linehan. 

13 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Man, you guys are restless. The do-something mentality is truly haunting given the fact the league year hasn't even started yet.

Will admit that I am. But also have feeling how this is going to play out

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

Will admit that I am. But also have feeling how this is going to play out

Borrowing trouble.

We absolutely need to make changes...but nothing done so far has me hopping mad. More so it is a "thank goodness we didn't do that."

26 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Man, you guys are restless. The do-something mentality is truly haunting given the fact the league year hasn't even started yet.

For me, a lot of the frustration stems from the fact that two of the most aggressive teams over the last calendar year (and by far the most aggressive over the last two weeks) are the two other teams with franchise QBs from the 2016 draft, both of whom kicked the snot out of our team last year.

It’s like, how did they give up all those picks for Goff and Wentz and still have better depth than us, still have the ammunition to take more swings? I don’t get it, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to compare the situations and think our FO is a little gun-shy.

Just now, matt79511 said:

For me, a lot of the frustration stems from the fact that two of the most aggressive teams over the last calendar year (and by far the most aggressive over the last two weeks) are the two other teams with franchise QBs from the 2016 draft, both of whom kicked the snot out of our team last year.

It’s like, how did they give up all those picks for Goff and Wentz and still have better depth than us, still have the ammunition to take more swings? I don’t get it, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to compare the situations and think our FO is a little gun-shy.

The Rams are knocking it out of the park. I understand nothing of what the Eagles are doing.

4 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

The Rams are knocking it out of the park. I understand nothing of what the Eagles are doing.

You don’t think Bennett’s an upgrade on Curry for virtually the same cap number, or Worley’s a worthy dice roll for a player you were gonna cut anyway?

3 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

The Bennett deal for me. Worley doesn't move the needle for me.

I hate to glorify the filthy Eagles, but Roseman seems to have mastered the art of improvement through winning every small transaction one at a time. Everyone trashed that Bradford contract, then they turned him into a first rounder. Remember when they dumped Alonso and Maxwell onto the Dolphins and moved up into the draft at the cost of literal garbage? Worley’s probably a nobody, but maybe he gives them the flex to flip Mills or Douglas for a backup LB or OL. Gotta respect the hustle.

Compare that to our team and, I mean... Bene Benwikere do anything for ya? Who was our last trade acquisition before him, Cassel? I just wish there were more indication that we were at least on the phone with nincompoops like Marty Hurney or Mike Tannenbaum to see who or what we might be able to take off their hands. When that’s not happening, it means you’re either not engaging, or not closing.

4 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I hate to glorify the filthy Eagles, but Roseman seems to have mastered the art of improvement through winning every small transaction one at a time. Everyone trashed that Bradford contract, then they turned him into a first rounder. Remember when they dumped Alonso and Maxwell onto the Dolphins and moved up into the draft at the cost of literal garbage? Worley’s probably a nobody, but maybe he gives them the flex to flip Mills or Douglas for a backup LB or OL. Gotta respect the hustle.

Compare that to our team and, I mean... Bene Benwikere do anything for ya? Who was our last trade acquisition before him, Cassel? I just wish there were more indication that we were at least on the phone with nincompoops like Marty Hurney or Mike Tannenbaum to see who or what we might be able to take off their hands. When that’s not happening, it means you’re either not engaging, or not closing.

But this is just my point. Some of you just want SOMETHING. The Benwikere is a perfect example. No thanks.

22 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

But this is just my point. Some of you just want SOMETHING. The Benwikere is a perfect example. No thanks.

Jarvis Landry, Michael Bennett are perfect examples of SOMETHING also. Funny how we've been only able to get the Bene's and Cassell's as of late.

Archived